Sign in to follow this  
m325i

Power Steering

My PS pump is making horibl;e noises. I'm pretty sure its leaking. When i got it serviced the guy topped it up and it was sweet for a month or two.

My question is what fluid do I use? AT fluid or is there special stuff?

Also where exactely is the bit to put it in. I dont wanna put PS fluid in my brakes!

Oh e30 325i (m20)

Once it starts leaking, it is replacement time, and the PS pump making a groaning noise at full lock is a good indication of this.

To get a replacement reconditioned rack installed you are looking at around $700 - $1000 (depending on the condition of your existing one).

To top up the reservior, top up the dark brown reservior (you can't miss it, it is the only one that is dark brown). Also you will want to fill it with Automatic Transmission Fluid (it is red in colour and you should be able to get it from any decent garage). There is a dipstick built into the lid of the reservior, do you can use that to make sure you have it at the right level.

Cheers

Cheers. Yes i was aware that it is replacement time. But for $700 i think ill wait as long as posible. Whats the worst that can happen?

Once it starts leaking, it is replacement time, and the PS pump making a groaning noise at full lock is a good indication of this.

To get a replacement reconditioned rack installed you are looking at around $700 - $1000 (depending on the condition of your existing one).

To top up the reservior, top up the dark brown reservior (you can't miss it, it is the only one that is dark brown). Also you will want to fill it with Automatic Transmission Fluid (it is red in colour and you should be able to get it from any decent garage). There is a dipstick built into the lid of the reservior, do you can use that to make sure you have it at the right level.

Cheers

Where can you get this done? If the car didn't already have power steering, would they need to do much in addition to replacing the rack and pump?