Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Mike: E30 318i Turbo project

As title says, planning on bolting a turbo on to my 318 over the holiday period. Going to be very basic setup initially until I can afford to get a proper ECU and really up boost. Current plan is turbo from a GTST skyline, I'm using a bigger AFM with larger injectors, will also retard base timing somewhat. also use intercooler from skyline and mount behind headlights. I've aquired most of the bits, only major piece of fabrication left is wastepipe but I can't really do that until I've got the turbo bolting in the engine bay. I'm not exactly sure whether the L-Jet will be happy with this setup. If not, I'll return car to standard and wait for LEM, I have seen other cars have relative success with this setup so I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

Only got pics of manifold for now, not quite equal length but should still flow well. Rest of stuff is pretty standard so wont put anymore pics up until things happen, probably early jan.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just going to run 5-6lb or so until you get a new ECU?

Will be interesting to see how this goes.. how much did that manifold cost?

Just going to run 5-6lb or so until you get a new ECU?

Will be interesting to see how this goes.. how much did that manifold cost?

pretty much, whole thing will just be learning curve. Manifold cost $70 (elbows and T3 flange)

Nice work Mike - but will it get a plane off a conveyor :lol:

haha, I take it you finally got your head around it?

Edited by Mike

Guest Spargo

I understand the dynamics of how a plane works and how a car works, so i understand how it will take off

f**k yeha

mike i love you turbo M10....TFB

ohhh nice, i really want to do something like this next year too!! see how much money comes my way first..

Bit of an update for interested folk,

2.5" wastepipe is done, only need to cut some flanges to join it to old exhaust and thats the exhaust side of things done. Running wastepipe around steering column wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Oil feed and return lines for turbo are done. Feed comes from factory oil pressure sender and return is here:

Posted Image

Only major bits left are intake plumbing and installing gauges. Still a few little bits and pieces to do of course but should be back on the road by end of next week, I'll get more pics when I have a camera again.

again...i love you mike...pics and vid!

How is this going project going?

Haven't heard anything so I'm guessing either it hasn't progressed much or you've been too busy out enjoying turbo goodness to update us?

Bit of an update for interested folk,

2.5" wastepipe is done, only need to cut some flanges to join it to old exhaust and thats the exhaust side of things done. Running wastepipe around steering column wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Oil feed and return lines for turbo are done. Feed comes from factory oil pressure sender and return is here:

Posted Image

Only major bits left are intake plumbing and installing gauges. Still a few little bits and pieces to do of course but should be back on the road by end of next week, I'll get more pics when I have a camera again.

Tough -

FYI (since when I was planning to turbo I couldn't find anything on oil pressures). My turbo seems happy with these pressures (T3) and doesn't blow any oil. Find a restrictor that gives you similar values.

Cold idle 40psi.

Warm idle 1-3 psi.

Warm > 3000 rpm 20 psi.

The stock m10 oil pressure will be a bit too high.

Cheers for that andy, I'll see what pressures I'm getting stock and then experiment from there. Oil drain is pretty big and flows straight down to the timing cover return so should allow me a bit of room for error if the turbo is getting too much oil.

As for update, this run of good weather has halted progress a bit, and a few odd jobs that needed doing. I"m just heading off to finish up intercooler now and pick up some clamps and hose joiners.

Should be running by tomoro with a bit of luck. However, I'm worried the turbine wheel took a bit of a knock today (nosy buggers) when I had it apart. It still spins freely in the housing still but just looks ever so slightly bent. I'm just going to see how it goes, worse case scenario is another turbo I guess. Sux if I need a new turbo but what else can I do?

Got some pics for you guys. Almost finished now, only need to make up some brackets for various little bits and install gauges.

(excuse cracking paint on tappet cover, makes engine pay look quite a bit more rangi)

Posted Image

oil feed and gauge sender

Posted Image

wastepipe (not too bad a fit round steering column

Posted Image

and it fits up to this exhaust

Posted Image

and my oil catch can (needs quick blast of paint)

Posted Image

Edited by Mike

Yeah shot Mike Looking Mean mate

I like your engine dirty engine bay,,, it's all bussiness and no pretty boy sh*t.... shot bro

Bloody good to see someone doing a project like this Mike, well done mate. Some of us should take note, theres no enough

of this around here

Hey Mike, looking good!!

PM me you Ph. No. wouldn't mind checking it out over the weekend if you're around.

Looks awsome. So how much power will it be putting out?

looking good man, will be good to have another real bmw turbo around :D

Another update...

Intercooler and charge pipes done.

Started car today, ran really well considering I just chucked bigger AFM and injectors in there. Still needs idle mixture and AFM spring adjusted. Couple of minor oil leaks which should be easy enough to sort. Unfortunately turbo does seem to be broke, not sure if its something silly I've over-looked or the shaft is indeed causing problems. No gauges in yet so don't know for sure exactly whats going on.

Anyway, now the mission is to sort out little problems and make the thing run well.

Pics of IC and intake pipes tomoro.

replies to comments...

Beau-

Not exactly sure on power, would like to say around 170 ish hp@flywheel for initial setup. I'm keen to get it on the dyno as soon as its running well.

Ashkan-

It took me roughly 2 weeks to bolt it on, I had already made most of the bits and alot of the parts were simply replacement. eg injectors, AFM, manifold.

Gary-

haha, my engine bay was spotless a couple of years ago, hasn't been cleaned since. Will clean again eventually.

If you wanna get serious with it, I've got a few bits and pieces around.. Is it an M40 or M10 engine? I've got forged rods and low compression pistons for an M42 here..

And if you want a decent turbo I may happen to have an unused GT2830 going a fair bit cheaper than retail too.

Update:

Been having problems with turbos and oil leaks. I thought the oil leaks were a result of the turbo drain and feeds so I re-did those but now I think theres also another leak around the timing chain cover area. Theres a whole heap of gaskets all intersecting here so its highly possible one isn't sitting right, or I missed a piece of old gasket and thats causing problems. This is a really bad leak so hopefully should be ok to find.

Have also had problems with turbos, one my own stupid fault which I wont go into.

Anyway, tonight went round the block tonight. Not much happened until roughly 3k when it started to pull really well. At this moment blue smoke started to pour from engine bay. (No bonnet) First thought was blown turbo but no signs of smoke from exhaust or anything prior to hitting boost. Also, cant see where that much oil would escape out of of turbo and into engine bay. Not sure if exhaust was smoking while all this was happening.

edit- should note no restrictor in line, banjo fitting is already quite small and as mentioned drain is a good size and well placed.

Andrew- more details on restrictor anyway?

I think what happened is that positive pressure in the crankcase/head forced oil out of that bad leak and onto hot manifold. I haven't plumbed in catch-tank yet so crankcase will be pressurised under boost. Possible? or way off track? Haven't had chance to have a really good look but want ideas as to what else could be causing this.

again, thoughts and ideas welcome.

Pics of gauges and intake stuff coming real soon.

Edited by Mike