Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Mike: E30 318i Turbo project

dyno's been on the cards for ages, never got round to it as theres always something else I want to do. I'm guessing its around 170/180hp at the crank, knowing the injector size and that they're pretty much maxed.

Ollie, I'm hoping its a hose or clamp too. A pressure test should find it without too much drama.

Once I get the coolant leak and exhaust sorted I'll probably just leave the thing alone until the end of the year, Uni's gonna be pretty busy and everything else I want to do is out of my budget until I finish at the end of the year.

Update:

Posted Image

Radiator is from a E34 535i. Made up new bottom mounts and some brackets for the e30 M20 expansion tank. The M30 uses larger hoses to the M10 so I also had to make up some reducers to go between the two sizes. Also replaced all the hoses, just went to repco and grabbed whatever worked and chopped them up if I had to. Expansion tank is plumbed into the heater return line (cheers glenn). Didn't manage to take it for a run tonight but will check it all out tomorrow so hopefully theres no leaks or issues with bleeding it.

I also ran out of time and steel to do the top mounts, will suss those shortly. An electric fan is also going to go in, will probably just wire it in to MS to switch it. I should have done the radiator upgrade ages ago but I had a reasonable run out of that old stock one, was only really when I switched to a water cooled turbo that I needed the extra cooling.

New exhaust gasket also in, will see how long this one lasts, otherwise I'll go to a solid flange in an attempt to stop blowing them.

nice one Mike,

looks like its all coming together.

Ooh, I never knew you had this project going Mike... You should bring it along to some of the Christchurch meets...

Awesome, keep up the good work!

And, ahem, a dyno visit ;)

Awesome, keep up the good work!

And, ahem, a dyno visit ;)

What CamB said :)

Hey - random question ... how did you plumb the oil catch can?

Ooh, I never knew you had this project going Mike... You should bring it along to some of the Christchurch meets...

Yea this was one of the main reasons for the dyno day, only it wasnt ready in time. I've always been meaning to make a chch meet but timing has always been off.

Still using a bit of water when i'm giving it a decent run, seem to be coming out around the cap, only I've tried two and still happening. Could be dud tank maybe, will take it for a pressure test and see whats happening. No steam out the exhaust so i dont think theres a problem with the HG or head. Other thing is that turbo could be boiling the water, going to bypass it and see if that helps things.

Intercooler is now way to small. Really noticable performance difference between hot and cold. 12psi is getting up there too. Probably going to go front mount but might grab a water/air IC off an old legacy to see what thats like.

Cam - I just plumbed off the valve cover, could also add another hose between the filter and turbo if you wanted more vacuum

Edited by Mike

Steel was just steam pipe from steel and tube, was 3-4mm or something? its f**king heavy anyway and isn't gonna crack in a hurry.

Amen to that haha, my manifold is solid as i dont see it cracking as long as the welds are descent

I was going to ask you Mike, why you never went down the LINK path then realised you are trying to do your build on a relatively low budget good stuff.

What did the MG cost you in the end? Are you satisfied with the setup? Also guys with the crank case ventelation, be sure if you are using a fairly large ID vacuum hose if you are using the vacuum between the pod filter and turbo inlet. If the hose is too small in ID your turbo will literally try to suck the oil out of your motor lol!

Also I will take as many pics possible of my Intercooler setup for you Mike, you going to use the Subaru type setup still or buy a custom FMIC?

Hows the car going Mike? You gone to a front mount setup yet? Let me know if you still want pics of my front mount setup dude.

Luke

Car's a bit dead. Pretty sure head is cracked after on-going cooling problems. Have decided to sell for parts as I can't keep 2 cars and its not suitable when I'm driving 500km a week. I could chuck a new motor in it but just dont have the time anymore. Been a fun project and learnt shitloads but time to move on. will probably build a silly turbo bmw in a few years after OE.

Aw what a pity Mike. Atleast you had your fun right! Cant wait too see what you have in store for us in the future. Next time im down your way as my sis lives in Welly ill try make the effort to drop in providing my project is all go haha!

Luke

yeah not happy bout it, took me ages to decide, this is just best option overall.

Get in touch for sure if your down, would love to check out the M50 weapon. I'll probably still be lurking on these boards for a while yet.