Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Mike: E30 318i Turbo project

If you wanna get serious with it, I've got a few bits and pieces around.. Is it an M40 or M10 engine? I've got forged rods and low compression pistons for an M42 here..

And if you want a decent turbo I may happen to have an unused GT2830 going a fair bit cheaper than retail too.

Thanks but will have to pass. a decent M10 build is planned but wont be happening for a quite a while. ECU next on list.

Edited by Mike

Very well done Mike - totally badass.

I can't really see how that much oil would come out of the turbo either. Are you 100% there isn't a large oil leak somewhere?

I'll try snap you some piccys of my oil feed/restrictors tonight.

I think what happened is that positive pressure in the crankcase/head forced oil out of that bad leak and onto hot manifold. I haven't plumbed in catch-tank yet so crankcase will be pressurised under boost. Possible? or way off track? Haven't had chance to have a really good look but want ideas as to what else could be causing this.

Just read that - that is more likely.

Would wager it is coming out of an exhaust leak somewhere as well.

Hey mate

Is the skyline turbo you have, a factory water cooled core?.If so best to run some water lines through it! alot of people are lazy and dont do this but if its a water cooled core then you should, you can usually tap off the heater hoses or water pump hoses.

Some jappers have the perfect tee fittings on their heater hoses(pulsars etc) with 5/16 orifices off them which would make it alot easier and cheaper for you.Some turbos have built in oil restrictors in the core some have it in the banjo from memory skyline ones have it in the core(ring a turbo shop they should know).

I've had alot of problems with skyline turbos in the past both ball bearing and non ,chuffing smoke at idle and on boost so I wouldnt be suprised if you do see smoke in the exhaust at some stage.Project looking good mate Thats what I intended on doing to my m10 once apon atime.

Now that you have boost in your motor alot of things will need one way valves so diaframs dont get damaged good luck

I was planning on using a skyline turbo but ended up with a plain old garrett T3, slightly bigger turbine housing but same size compressor. No water cooling, so will be doing more regular oil changes obviously. I have skyline oil lines and one end appears to have a restricor in it, not sure how to replicate that in my oil feed setup tho.

Ive seen people braze the end of a tube then drill to the size required,give that a go.

Yea thats an idea, I'll try that.

Took for a quick test drive on sat, goes well. Its taking too long to spool so I've probably got an exhaust or intake leak. Could also be that the wastegate isn't sealing properly. Or its just an old inefficient turbo too big for a 1.8. Anyway by 3.5K its really starting to haul with no signs of running slowing at higher rpm. Will give it a proper test when I get the lower pressure actuator in there. I also think I went slightly too tall on the diff with a 3.64, when I'm back down south I'll see how the 3.91 goes.

I've just got to tidy up bits and pieces, like find a more permanent soultion to hold spark plug leads out the way, make a new windscreen fluid bottle, Also got to see if my bonnet fits, that IC pipe may end up with a small clearance dent.

More pics...

charge pipes leading to intercooler

Posted Image

Posted Image

and gauges, hope the 'M' police aren't too upset.

Posted Image

Edited by Mike

Look like the autogauge equivilent. I have some the same. Quite cool guages really. They look the shiznit at night!

gauges look badass.and yeh they do look sh*t hot at night!

Going for front mount eventually?Are you doing it all yourself or nay?

Coming along mean!

yeah, gauges are autogauge copies. Wired up so they're only on when car is running.

Will do front-mount eventually, I got that IC free with turbo so figured I might as well use it. Was easy enough to modify to fit, looks smaller in those pics than it actually is.

Have done everything myself apart from alloy welding.

Edited by Mike

Turns out 256xxx KM and turbo are too much for the stock head gasket.

Not exactly sure what caused the failure. I'd been having starting problems, cause was busted rotor/cap, so whether this could have exaggerated the problem?

Also, wastegate was sticking at one point, have suspicion it was the boost taps fault. Boost hit close to 14psi before I realised but didn't notice any probs immediatly after and was only that high for fraction of second.

After fixing and starting car I went for drive, nothing too brutal. Stopped at lights and noticed steam coming from exhaust pipe. Temp was normal, oil was fine but water was bubbly/frothy. Was still driving fine though.

Basically, I'm not sure whether it was the higher than normal boost, 8psi with poor tune, or something else responsible.

Its not too big a deal, just means 2.0L low comp motor will go in sooner than planned. :)

I'll use my head (better flow) if I can determine what the CR will be, all I know is it will be lower than stock. I've also got wideband o2 on the way to rule out mixture problems.

Edited by Mike

Badass mike - sorry to hear about HG.

What wideband you get?

Guest Denny Crane

M10's are cheap like the budgie, so go hard as often as required, Mike :D

M10's are cheap like the budgie, so go hard as often as required, Mike :D

exactly. At current prices I could get 10 M10's with this years course costs :D

Andy, I just went with LC-1 wideband. Its waiting in the states along with a few other bits and pieces.

Mike!

How are things coming along? looking forward to seeing this go...i love m10s

Sooo close now, just waiting for some garage space and for the ARP studs to get here. MLS gasket, and wideband all here. Going to get the head pressure checked and new valve seals done. The ARP studs and MLS gasket should hold things together ok. Clutch will probably be next to go.

I'm also going to give Megasquirt ago, fuel only at this stage.

Going to create an adapter harness, almost plug'n'play. Only need to change to a E36 TPS and some piping to get rid of AFM and incorporate a new air temp sensor. Will be running 550cc cossie injectors, bit overkill but wont need to be upgraded for a while.

Expect an update in a few weeks...

Sooo close now, just waiting for some garage space and for the ARP studs to get here. MLS gasket, and wideband all here. Going to get the head pressure checked and new valve seals done. The ARP studs and MLS gasket should hold things together ok. Clutch will probably be next to go.

I'm also going to give Megasquirt ago, fuel only at this stage.

Going to create an adapter harness, almost plug'n'play. Only need to change to a E36 TPS and some piping to get rid of AFM and incorporate a new air temp sensor. Will be running 550cc cossie injectors, bit overkill but wont need to be upgraded for a while.

Expect an update in a few weeks...

If you pop another one (which I highly doubt) I think we are going to scrap the O-ringing idea and just go straight for what the drag guys in the states are doing and just use pyrimid rings and notch the head and block. You're more than welcome to take a look when its all apart and about to go back together later this year.

would love to man but I'm not up in aux very often, just make sure to take plenty of pics

not alot really sorry, once exams are over and I'm back in welly with proper tools etc and time it will be all go. Just not enough time with uni and work to get it all sorted, but...

Car is all running again with semi-rebuilt head, MLS gasket and studs. Only niggle is an exhaust leak taht wont go away, just gonna get the manifold milled as it would have warped ever so slightly during final welding. MS is all built and ready to go in when I get home, what I want to do isn't so plug'n'play as I had hoped. I didn't realise just how basic the L-jet is, its almost a waste of time using the stock harness it has that few inputs and outputs.

Also now running turbo from VG30 as I blew the oil seals in the old one and it was pretty shagged (can't complain about free sh*t!) seeing +ve pressure about 2500rpm now in 3rd, has a nicer wastegate setup too. (still internal tho <_< )

If that all goes to plan I might look at a 2L build, I've got the block sitting in the shed but I've got a few trips planned over summer so might have to wait till next year for that.

Edited by Mike

not alot really sorry, once exams are over and I'm back in welly with proper tools etc and time it will be all go. Just not enough time with uni and work to get it all sorted, but...

Car is all running again with semi-rebuilt head, MLS gasket and studs. Only niggle is an exhaust leak taht wont go away, just gonna get the manifold milled as it would have warped ever so slightly during final welding. MS is all built and ready to go in when I get home, what I want to do isn't so plug'n'play as I had hoped. I didn't realise just how basic the L-jet is, its almost a waste of time using the stock harness it has that few inputs and outputs.

Also now running turbo from VG30 as I blew the oil seals in the old one and it was pretty shagged (can't complain about free sh*t!) seeing +ve pressure about 2500rpm now in 3rd, has a nicer wastegate setup too. (still internal tho <_< )

If that all goes to plan I might look at a 2L build, I've got the block sitting in the shed but I've got a few trips planned over summer so might have to wait till next year for that.

Sounding good - keep us informed.

An m10 turbo is a dream car of mine.

(In a white prefl, mtech1) oo yeah

Car is all running again with semi-rebuilt head, MLS gasket and studs.

I am so watching this with interest - I've got a turbo (Silvia ball bearing one) and a spare 318 engine sitting in the garage.

Where did you get the MLS gasket and studs from? Assuming the US - who from and how were they on price/shipping. PM me if you like rather than talk about it here...

that would go very nicely on an M10 i'd say.

Gasket was brought from TCD for $150US incl shipping to family in the states as I had other bits over there too. ARP studs were a last minute decision from Top End Performance for 180US shipped to NZ.

Andy- I'll get a 'tek1 kit someday.

I'll keep it updated as soon as I've made some proper progress, the MS install and tune is gonna be interesting.

edit- thought I might point out that while I had the head off everything looked very good. I was pushing around 10psi through the thing with stock timing and some bigger injectors. Only signs of detonation were in the cylinder where the HG pushed through to the water jacket. MLS would have stopped this obviously. Guess what I'm trying to say is that a turbo setup on the cheap is possible (<$2k) but I want quite a bit more out of mine so the budgets gotta grow.

Edited by Mike