Sign in to follow this  
stevebh

e36 Head Unit Installation Probs

So I finally got around to ripping out my standard head unit out and install my kenwood. Been looking for ages to find a wiring loom, but no luck. So i decided to cut the wiring loom off. Connected the power, acc power and ground wires to my kenwood, made sure there is power going to the head unit, i.e i can eject and load a cd but the dispaly is just not showing up and nothing seems to work, connected a specker up but no sound. Have you guys got any idea as to what the prob could be or maybe know where there is a wiring diagram so i can identify each wire of the bmw wiring loom.

Hope you can help :P

So I finally got around to ripping out my standard head unit out and install my kenwood. Been looking for ages to find a wiring loom, but no luck. So i decided to cut the wiring loom off. Connected the power, acc power and ground wires to my kenwood, made sure there is power going to the head unit, i.e i can eject and load a cd but the dispaly is just not showing up and nothing seems to work, connected a specker up but no sound. Have you guys got any idea as to what the prob could be or maybe know where there is a wiring diagram so i can identify each wire of the bmw wiring loom.

If it comes to it.. It's only ~$60 to get an auto electrical workshop to do it for you.. as long as you haven't made a mess of the factory loom too much.

if your in wellington you can pop around and i can do it in less then an hour for the love of doing it, otherwise just probe around with a multimeter or a testing light, its easy enough, dont pay some one.

if your in wellington you can pop around and i can do it in less then an hour for the love of doing it, otherwise just probe around with a multimeter or a testing light, its easy enough, dont pay some one.

Cheers for the offer mate but im down in Chch :) . Im sure i will be able to sort it sooner or later. Will keep you posted cheers

Cheers for the offer mate but im down in Chch :) . Im sure i will be able to sort it sooner or later. Will keep you posted cheers

I think its Soundworks hear in chch will do it for like $45 for your willing to pay someone to do it

Sounds like you may have no acc supply to turn it on - did you short something when cutting wires & blow a fuse?, has the headunit got a fuse on the back? Also check for a reset button on headunit -somewhere on front behind face if fitted. If both power supplies & an earth are present & other suggestions are OK then must be a faulty headunit

Otherwise as already stated - see an auto sparky - simple job for those who know

the small rectangular metal plug is the stacker plug, in most cases unless you have a metal box in the back under the stacker you wont have an amp. the speaker wires are the ones that are twisted and are blue and yellow in colour, permanent is red with a green stripe or just red, purple is accessories, brown is ground, white is antenna trigger (be very careful as some white cables with a stripe are the data bus wires and if connected you can damage the vehicles computers). grey is ilumination

that may help a little bit

on most factory headecks isnt there supposed to be wiring diagrams for which colour wire is for?? took my sisters factory headdeck off and replaced it with no prob, it had a wiring diagram sticker on da headdeck so i knew which wires are for what

Edited by Docile

When I installed my new Sony HU I had one or two wires left over, didn't know wtf they are, I googled and whored forums for hours and found nothing, so taped them up and left them, nothing has happend .... yet.

use a volt meter to test where there is power , never hook up stereo's blind . you cant see volts so use a meter .or a bulb with some wires attach one wire to earth

i work in the industry and i see lots of blown up stereo's .

small hint you can use a 1.5volt aa battery to test which speaker you are hooking up to .

small hint you can use a 1.5volt aa battery to test which speaker you are hooking up to .

.thats a good trick...just hook up the wire(s) and the connected speaker makes a noise?

yup the speaker should make a *thump* noise.. my dad does it when he checks speakers sides

Just make sure when you are doing the battery popping thing that they pop outwards ... well try to at least, thats what I was told by a couple of car audio guys.

Loads of BMW wiring diagrams on the 'net

BMW radio plug adapters are available at Repcos.

Anyway, the E46 stereo wiring is:

Pin Type Description / Signal type Connection / Measuring notes / wire colour

1 A Signal, AF radio, front left + Amplifier

2 A Signal, AF radio, front right + Amplifier

3 A Signal, AF radio, rear left + Amplifier

4 E Signal Telephone mute circuit Connector Telephone mute circuit = black

5 E Terminal R Fuse F9 = violet/white

6 A Signal, AF radio, rear right + Amplifier

7 E/A K-bus signal K-bus connector = white/red/yellow

8 A Signal, AF radio, front left - Amplifier

9 E Terminal 30 Fuse F56 = red/green

10 Not used

11 A Signal, AF radio, front right - Amplifier

12 A Signal, AF radio, rear left - Amplifier

13 E Signal Locator lighting Connector, instrument and locator lighting green/red

14 A Signal, AF radio, rear right - Amplifier

15 M Ground Ground point = brown

16 E Aerial switching signal Amplifier = white

17 Not used

A = output

E = input

M = ground

Speaker wirecolours vary depending on radio fitment (std, hifi, top-hifi)