Sign in to follow this  
318Touring

Comments on BMW 5 series (E39)

What do you all think about the E39 especially 528. Looks like the one on the link however it comes with M/F steering wheel, 91000kms, and a 98 model?

Guest Speedye30

I really like the e39. (Style wise, never driven one)

The e39 was raved about by the motoring press!

Engine options: Get a v8! The sixes are a bit small for a car of this size! (IMHO)

How much is it Daniel??

A friends dad just picked up a E39 540i w/65'ish km on the clock for $35k.

It is awesome, has black leather int, heated elec seats, 5spd auto with manual mode(the best auto I have ever been in), sports suspension, 17" ///M Wheels.

After been in the 4.4 V8 I don't think a 6cyl would quite cut it.

I love it, definitley a car to aspire to.

my 2c

hmmmm...i would be a definite sucker for a black 540...very nice cars and heard nothing but good things bout them

Guest Spargo

Yea having driven a 6cyl E39 alit of last year (admittedly a 520i), the 6 just doesn't cut it. Amazing cars tho. I'd love one.

My old man used to have the 540i, i loved driving it, but now he's got the 745i and i like driving that even more .... :lol:

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

I am wary of cars without service history as with those 540s that start turning up on our shore right now. Obviously there are NZ new ones, at $70k plus each, I'd rather not .... Then the matter of being rather thirsty 4.4L engine, ouch.

This particular one's just arrived at Shelly, at $37900 it's not bad considering the interior looks just like new. Add to that 2 yrs full maintenance and warranty, it's hard to ignore. There's a black NZ new one at independent dealer, 68000kms, '99 528, for $41000 add your own warranty and servicing.

Gus, got the CDs yet?

true pimpin in one of those badboys..

*looks in empty wallet : / *

Pimpin'? This is the "Ultimate Pimp Mobile"

Oh yeah baby

Just imagine one of this bad boy with blacked out windows, bling-bling wheels and loud stereo. Who's your Daddy!!!! I just need to get some big guys to be my bodyguard.

Uh, for the 5 er? It'll be used mainly for school and supermarket runs, with the occasional travel to Napier or Masterton.

I am wary of cars without service history as with those 540s that start turning up on our shore right now. Obviously there are NZ new ones, at $70k plus each, I'd rather not .... Then the matter of being rather thirsty 4.4L engine, ouch.

Thats why there is mechanical insurance... So you dont have to care (well other than the excess you pay)

Guest Andrew

I've driven an e39 528 and an e39 540 .. well obviously I liked the 540 more but the 528 did move OK. Obviously if you debadged it and popped a 540 badge on it would be just as good :)

What do you all think about the E39 especially 528. Looks like the one on the link however it comes with M/F steering wheel, 91000kms, and a 98 model?

Did you check out the finance calculator? They are trying to sell people finance at 16%!! :wacko:

(sorry, thats my industry & that is almost a credit card rate)

shadow... Which calculator is that?

Those finance offers are all oh sound very attractive. $1 deposit, 48 months (WHAT!!!), $64.01 per week for a $7,999, clocked speedo, abused family sedan, twin a/bags, bald mixed tyres, barely passed WOF brakes.

I pity those people that didn't understand these traps, and there are people out there that are like that.

Touring on that site you posted, there was a link to their finance calculator to figure out loan repayments. The default interest rate was 16% and that probably doesn't even include fees & stuff.

Part of my role is vehicle finance, but before you all rush over trying to get loans from me... I only work with health professionals (ie- doctors, dentists etc). ^_^

shadow, yeah, didn't see that.

I just saw on the DomPost that BMW Approved Used cars have 0% interest for April. Guess the previous promotion didn't go too well ....

Are you still looking to get a coupe?

Edited by 318Touring

LOL, it's quite expensive to change cars every few months or so. I'm guesing Shelly would offer $10k less than what you paid them?

Test drove a silver '00 318 from Shelly on Sunday just to compare it with the 5er. Felt almost like driving my E36, I even think that I like my E36 better than this E46.

I'll probably go ahead with the 5er, my touring's warranty runs out on 5th May, also needs Insp. II and new brakes (arrghh).

sack it out and bling bling it with some chromies!!!..................not

Tim, somthing wrong with a bimmer being sacked on chromies????

I do like these 5s a hell of a lot.

I actually almost bought one, admittadly it was the slightly older shape, (e34?) and it had the 4.4 v8, it went hard, but drank just as hard for the effort - then i decided my 325 had what i needed and bought that! :D

I'd paid a deposit on the 5er at lunch time today.

Interestingly my trade-in is worth more now than last year :D . No depreciation??

Taking delivery on Thursday pm, I now have to dismantle my clear lights and sell them. Also need to change my name here....

LOL I should try changing my name after this.

I hope I'll remember to bring my DV camera on Thursday.

Guest Speedye30

Excellent. You're buying it then? Well I'm sure you'll just love it! Like to hear how it stacks up against other cars you've driven etc etc.