Sign in to follow this  
DavidNZ

Oil leak (E36 318i)

Well, started noticing small oil-soaked stains where I park the car. No puddles to really speak of. Drips only after parking it from what I can tell. No noticeable streams when it's running. But the pic below shows that it's been sprayed around quite a bit. I don't think it's the oil pan plug. That area seems dry.

I'm meant to drive from Dunedin to Queenstown on Thurs and not sure if I really should or not. It runs fine otherwise - no strange noises, cooling system seems to be fine.

I'm watching the oil level like a hawk and it's fine. Hasn't really moved at all (still completely full on the dipstick). I'm pretty certain it's engine oil.

Anyone else seen this?

David

post-6-1080990002.jpg

Edited by DavidNZ

I dont really have any clue, but heres 2 useless pieces of information!

1. Just make sure you checked the plug well, coz everything expands when the engine is hot, so maybe it aint tight..?

2. When youre checking the oil, i hope youre doing it before you drive coz otherwise the reading wont be right...

Thats all my wisdom gone. Someone else go give this guy a hand!

heres some wisdom stolen from other people.

"Are your abaolutely sure it's engine oil? The power steering lines and reservoir are in that same area and often have leakage issues due to the crummy clamps that BMW uses on those lines."

As for the plug..

"The correct spec is 25 N-m (18.4 ft-lbs)." (how tight its meant to be)

Also its apparently a good idea to clean everything, and then see where its dirty to determine where the oil is coming from...

"Check the main seal (between the engine and the tranny)."

"ck the dipstick! ck where it meets the base. my car leaked oil depending on how it was parked....turned out it was leaking oil from there."

"My oil pan gasket is shot and oil is all over the place under the car.....take a look at it"

Yeah thats all i can find at this time of night. So maybe just clean it up, drive it for the day, and then see where you can find oil stains..And make sure its oil!

Cool, thanks DNZ.

I managed to capture a few drips (well, looks like more than a 'few'!) in a bowl - sure as heck looks, feels and smells like engine oil.

Car has 110,000 on the odo, and oil last changed at 107,000.

post-6-1080993400.jpg

well what if ya do that cleaning thing to see where its coming from, or putting cardboard under it so you can see from whereabouts the drip is coming from (that and not messing up your floor)..

but yeah def oil..

Yeh, you're prolly right. I'm not that mech inclined, so I may just end up whisking it over to the dealer on Monday AM. I'm convinced it's either the main rear seal (ouch! $$) or the oil pan gasket.

Thanks for the advice DNZ!

Dave

hmm good luck then!

And youd better be coming back to post some more... not one of those 1 post wonders! hahah

We got some members down in dunedin, maybe you guys can have a meet sometime!

go to a self serve car cleaning place. and do a good engine clean.

then park it up and watch for a long time. or carboard it then you have some idea

UPDATE:

The source is not readily apparent. We're watching it. About to drive to Queenstown tomorrow so that'll give it a good run. The team at Cookies here in Dunners has been excellent (as usual).

More to come!

David

Well, it seems to have stopped. After the really (and I'm mean really) cleaned the underside, I've brought it back sporadically over the past few weeks to see if they could spot the source. Nothing. In fact, no more drips. The last one was about a week ago.

Changed the oil a few days ago. Still nothing. It's a mystery.

Hey, i just met the only other guy in dunedin by accident today. Rather suprising actually.

He's a nice guy and all. i wouldn't mind going to waihola on sunday EXCEPT .. MOTHERS DAY on sunday .... hope you's all haven't forgoten yet .. :P heh ..

So i think there is only Two Dunedin people on this forum .... :unsure:

Just check the date on that post and it was last month .. so i think the sunday of that is umm .. weeks ago .. :lol: