Sign in to follow this  
uhlsta

1987 BMW M3 E30

I swear Ive seen that car in Wellington.

Its nice but RHD ? I assume that means its been butchered with 325 parts which surely drops its value massively.

I swear Ive seen that car in Wellington.

Its nice but RHD ? I assume that means its been butchered with 325 parts which surely drops its value massively.

Apparently it's an original factory RHD. So iv'e heard!!

I don't mean to be negative, but surely $84k for an old E30 is expecting just a tad too much??

Obviously, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, 'cos I'm not into old cars, but I would have approached it with maybe $10k max if I was interested, which equally obviously, I'm not!

I don't mean to be negative, but surely $84k for an old E30 is expecting just a tad too much??

Obviously, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, 'cos I'm not into old cars, but I would have approached it with maybe $10k max if I was interested, which equally obviously, I'm not!

Hey guys

I called about this car and was told it was built as a RHD. not sure if this is true.

Its totally road legal and they are asking $84k......JESUS

If anyone could get the last 7 digits of the car's ID, we'd know for sure?

here it is

WBAAK010700842084

84k. Sweet mother of jesus.

I thought i was dreaming at getting 12k for my car :S

Info from BMW VIN Decoder : http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Chassis number 0842084

Vehicle code 1001

Series E30

Model M3

Body type coupe

Catalog model ECE

Production date 1986 / 09

Engine S14

Transmission Manual

Steering Left

Catalyzer NONE

Additional Information for Vehicle code 1001

Production FROM : 1986/01/01 TO : 1988/08/31

Engine S14 B23

Engine Oil 5.00 Liter

Transmission Manual

Transmission Model Getrag 265/5

Transmission Oil 1.60 Liter

Rear Axle Oil 1.70 Liter

Coolant(w/o Air Conditioner) 9.50 Liter

Coolant(with Air Conditioner) 9.50 Liter

Brake fluid 1.00 Liter

Remarks :

Engine oil content: in case of repair plus 0,5 l (oil cooler)

Edited by Jazzbass

Just been to look at this car again as i made an offer on it last year and was turned down. After a bit of digging it turns out that the car was bought in to Australia back in 1986 as parts and then built in Aussie as a right hand drive car by BMW factory mechnanics. It was built to do the car show rounds to test the market interest for right hand drive E30 M3's and then the share market crashed along with the car market. BMW euro didnt want it back so it was sold to Equity Corp who sponsered Denny Holme and it was his drive car. It has had about 4 - 5 owners all up and is in great condition. However although i think its great that these cars are increasing in value it would have to be pretty special for this money. There is no cert of authentisity regarding it being the only right head drive and technically it wasn't factory built. So i would say it is more of a prototype than anything else.

It is one f--ken nice car but i would put the money more around $50k max

$10k max for a nice e30 other than an m3. An e30 m3 in good nick will command anything from $40k up. $84k still seems ridiculous, but give it 5 or 10 years and I wouldn't be surprised. There aren't very many out there.

Guest Spargo

Why does is not have a WBS vin? I think this is a mistake.

I did not know BMW sold the M3 as a CKD (complete knock down) kit.

Why does it have BMW Club USA Stickers on it?

That serial number provided states that this is one of the earlist M3's built - they started with 0842001 - this car is 0842084 - thus why does it have Evo 1 parts? Based on prod numbers - i've got this car as being built in 86.

The model code AK01 shows that it is a 200hp non cat model.

For the mileage and price - i'd rather this: http://www.wlnautomotive.co.uk/prodpage.cf...FTOKEN=96636935

Cheers, mate - as I stated - I don't know much about old cars, other than that I drove an old Mach 1 'Stang recently only to find it was a true POS, although when I drove one 30 years ago I thought it was the coolest car ever.

Based on prod numbers - i've got this car as being built in 86.

Yes, so does the VIN decoder in my post above: Production date 1986 / 09

I've heard the story about the right hand drive M3 before. I was told by someone near the top of the BMW club that he had owned it some years before, traded it to Jerry Claytons for an obscene amount (new 3 series plus cash I think from memory) and regretted it ever since. According to his story the car was still in JC's collection (about a year ago) so would seem odd for it to have come onto the market?

BMW CC members story matched the one here about it being a demo model built, did the show/dealer rounds and then got stranded here when the stockmarket crashed.

From the M register.

History

What makes the E30 M3 unique?

The E30 M3 is the BMW Motorsport-developed version of the E30 3 Series. Its S14 four-cylinder powerplant is a further development of the M10 unit and was chosen because of its compact dimensions. The chassis is based on the basic E30 3 Series design but has been thoroughly reworked by BMW Motorsport in every significant area. The reshaped body shares few panels with other E30 3 Series models.

Where was the E30 M3 first introduced?

The E30 M3 debuted at the 1985 Frankfurt motor show.

Where was the E30 M3 produced?

Because of the relatively high production numbers required to homologate the M3, production took place at the normal Munich-Milbertshofe factory instead of in the more limited Motorsport facility in Garching. However, unlike the normal E30 models, the M3's drivetrain was assembled by special teams, then mated to the chassis on the regular assembly line.

Why is the E30 M3 considered a homologation model?

The main impetus for the E30 M3’s existence was Group A racing, a production-based class that demanded that each race car share its core mechanical components with a road car, of which at least 5,000 examples had to be produced. Thus, BMW Motorsport designed the race car first, then applied the necessary changes to the road car in order to homologate the competition machine. For example, the widened fenders were needed to accommodate racing rubber on the competition cars but were not necessary for the more modest tires of the street version. However, fender width had to be identical between the road and race versions, so both share the same flared arches.

Production Data

How many versions of the E30 M3 were developed?

BMW Motorsport developed seven versions of the E30 M3 coupe, each with slight mechanical variations and all in left-hand drive. Four were regular production models: European-spec without catalyst, European-spec with catalyst in 195 hp (early) and 215 hp (later) forms, and North American-spec. The remaining three were limited editions known as the Evolution I, Evolution II and Sport Evolution. These were built to homologate updates to the engine and aerodynamics for racing purposes. There were also four further special editions with mainly cosmetic variations: Tour de Corse, Europa Meister 88, Johnny Cecotto and Roberto Ravaglia. In addition to the coupe, an E30 M3 convertible (see specific FAQ) was assembled by hand in limited numbers.

How many of each version were produced?

ECE (non-cat): 5,187 built from 07/85 thru 08/89

ECE (cat/195 hp): 3,544 built from 10/85 thru 05/89

ECE (cat/215 hp): 1,914 built from 09/89 thru 12/90*

NA (cat): 5,300 built from 03/87 thru 12/90

ECE Evolution I (non-cat): 505 built 02/87 thru 05/87**

ECE Evolution II (non-cat): 501 built from 03/88 thru 06/88

ECE Sport Evolution (cat): 600 built from 12/89 thru 03/90

ECE Europa Meister 88 (cat): 148 built from 10/88 thru 11/88

ECE Johnny Cecotto (cat): 480 built from 04/89 thru 07/89

ECE Roberto Ravaglia (cat): 25 built in 07/89

* includes the Swiss E30 M3 Cecotto edition

**includes the French E30 M3 "Tour de Corse" edition

Do all examples of the E30 M3 utilize the "WBS" VIN prefix?

The E30 M3 was generally given a "WBS" VIN prefix (i.e. the first three letters in the VIN) to identify it as a product of BMW Motorsport GmbH. However, it is believed that the initial 164 ECE non-catalyst examples of the E30 M3 were given the regular WBA (non-M) prefix. The WBA prefix also appears in the VIN of the first 208 examples of the E30 M3 Sport Evolution.

There were no official RHD ever built. I think Frank Gardner may have built 2 factory sanctioned cars in Australia. So the answer is still no RHD models that weren't converted.

Are those rims original, they seem so blingy.

Probably just had the lip polished. But yea, I don't think they would've come from the factory like that.

So they are wanting 84k for an e30 m3 thats been tampered and modified from factory specifications?? Thats abit steep in price isnt it?

For $84k you could score yourself a pretty mint e46 m3 and have a wee bit of change... But im sure somebody whos got the coin to spend will buy it.

Are those rims original, they seem so blingy.

Nope deff not original, the factory m3s only had 16in bbs mags.

Edited by drifty325i

it is mint..i take it this the JC one?

black with red leather = pimp

So they are wanting 84k for an e30 m3 thats been tampered and modified from factory specifications?? Thats abit steep in price isnt it?

For $84k you could score yourself a pretty mint e46 m3 and have a wee bit of change... But im sure somebody whos got the coin to spend will buy it.

Thats not the point though - e30 m3s are going up in value and e46 m3s will just go down and down as there are so bloody many of them.

ECE Roberto Ravaglia (cat): 25 built in 07/89

Of which at least one is in NZ and it has been converted to RHD.