Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Bearings

hey guys

need to change my front right bearing

should i change both front ones at the same time ?

where would you guys recommend good bearings

at reasonable price ?

any numbers to call regarding recommended parts?

do i have to replace the whole hub compartment ?

reakon you guys could help me out in what parts i need

who to ring

and so forth

any help would be good, sick of paying shops to do something

i think i can do the job my self

the brake mounting is prooving to be a mission to unbolt

oh and

( when u take the tyre off and your looking at the middle or the rotor)

is the thing in the middle the dust shield ? can i actually pry that off?

could be blonde questions

but im a magnet for destroying things

hey guys

need to change my front right bearing

should i change both front ones at the same time ?

where would you guys recommend good bearings

at reasonable price ?

any numbers to call regarding recommended parts?

do i have to replace the whole hub compartment ?

reakon you guys could help me out in what parts i need

who to ring

and so forth

any help would be good, sick of paying shops to do something

i think i can do the job my self

the brake mounting is prooving to be a mission to unbolt

oh and

( when u take the tyre off and your looking at the middle or the rotor)

is the thing in the middle the dust shield ? can i actually pry that off?

could be blonde questions

but im a magnet for destroying things

Going on what your saying (asking) here, sounds to me like you should leave your servicing to the experts! Seriously.

But to answer some of your questions...

If only one wheel bearing is worn out, just do that one. That's what I'd do. Some people might do both though, or clean and repack the other side with new grease. To clean, thoroughly wash in petrol or white spirits, then rinse in fresh cleaning of the same type then thoroughly dry. Best to dry with compressed air. Then thoroughly repack the bearings with grease and reassemble, ideally with a new seal. Tighten nut correctly - do NOT OVER TIGHTEN or you'll have your new (and/or cleaned) bearing wear out in no time.

Buy new bearing kits from any bearing suppliers - SKF, etc (check your Yellow Pages). Once I bought one from SKF and the cost was about a 5th of the price for the same SKF brand bearing from the dealership. That was for a Citroen though - I did a stint working on them in my motor trade days.

The thing in the middle, yes you could call it a "dust shield" or "dust cap" or "bearing cap", or whatever. And yes, you pry it off, or use a coal chisel and hammer.

But since you ask "blonde questions" and you are "a magnet for destroying things", leave this sort of work to work to the experts. It's too dangerous for you to tamper with things like this.

P

As said above don't do it without knowing what you're doing.

I'd personally change both, but hey, your car. Let us know on the price. Ta.

Get someone who knows what they're doing, and you watch them do one side, then they can guide you through the next. It's a very short and easy job.

just dont go to the dealer if you like spare cash in your back pocket. try and find a good independent bmw mechanic

Agreed with these answers - If you have no mechanical knowledge then seriously - you should get it done professionally. You are opening a potential "can of worms" if you go in to this sort of thing blind.

I would let him do it, hes male, tinkering is how you learn :rolleyes: Go to the library, thats a good start.

i've got a spare brand new front bearing. 280 at the dealers, can have it for 200.

if you've got an e36 that is.

I would let him do it, hes male, tinkering is how you learn :rolleyes: Go to the library, thats a good start.

I partly agree but tinkering with steering, suspension or brakes is asking for trouble, Jpp has the right idea.

I partly agree but tinkering with steering, suspension or brakes is asking for trouble, Jpp has the right idea.

Yip, tinkering is fine so long as you're not putting your life, or the lives of others, at risk. So he should be shown by someone who knows, and learn that way, or pay a garage to do the job.

I agree with someone else here as well - an independant garage is generally lots cheaper than the BMW dealers. However, not always true. So it's worth getting quotes for straightforward jobs like this.

P