Sign in to follow this  
Mavrick

e30 suspension.

I am wanting to lower my car (87 m325i) properly.

The questions I have are:

What is the best set up for value for money?

Would shortened shocks be sufficient with the correct spring set up?

Note: I dont want to just put springs in, I want the shocks done as well. If you have prices for any of your suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Also I may be in the process of acquiring a set of 17's would this cahnge the set up at all?

Cheers in advance.

Mavrick

H&R springs (choose your ride height)

Bilstein Shocks (shorten if going lower than 45mm )

I have jamex springs but I'd buy h&R's if I was to do it again. Bilsteins are working good for me they give really positive feedback when driven hard

Got all my stuff through BnT Whangarei

From what i've read on some other e30 forums, The H & R springs with shortened bilstein shocks seems popular....any comments on this set up?

We have just done Koni adjustibles and Eibach springs. 525 pound front 700 pound rears.

We are also using the ground control adjustible coil over kit and ground control camber / castor plates adjustible rear top mount and uprated control arm bushes and connecting rods. But you dont need all this extra stuff.

We have just done Koni adjustibles and Eibach springs. 500 pound front 700 pound rears.

We are also using the ground control adjustible coil over kit and ground control camber / castor plates adjustible rear top mount and uprated control arm bushes and connecting rods. But you dont need all this extra stuff.

What did the koni adjustables and Eibach springs set you back if you dont mind me asking? did you have to get the Eibach springs in from overseas?

Cheers

I have Eibach springs in my wagon and find them pretty stiff/harsh compared to the King in my 'vert and the Jamex in the 323. Handling is good though from the Eibach.

Will

H&R and bilsteins...eibachs are v stiff...jamexes are gay..i havent tried konis personally

i am so happy with my setup (H&R sports + Jamex) i would recommend it, even though it costs more that jamex/cheaper shock

What did the koni adjustables and Eibach springs set you back if you dont mind me asking? did you have to get the Eibach springs in from overseas?

Cheers

Shocks were just over a thousand, eibachs were part of the kit made for the the ground control "coil over system" kit (and yes from over seas (bimmerworld.com).. but you can get regular ones and not so stiff. We went for pretty stiff springs for hard street and good alround track use. hence the 525/700 split .. when the car goes down the drag strip we will use 500 pound for the rear instead. you could do 375/550 for a nice sporty feel ? DTM cars run 1000/1200.

Posted Image

plus

Posted Image

plus

Posted Image

and a version of these

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

(shocks purchased in NZ)

was about $3100 (incl shocks) landed with tax all up.

H&R and bilsteins...eibachs are v stiff...jamexes are gay..i havent tried konis personally

i am so happy with my setup (H&R sports + Jamex) i would recommend it, even though it costs more that jamex/cheaper shock

So the H&R springs i would be looking at getting would be the sports? Do they have a code on them?

Does anyone know of any reputable suspension places in P. North?

Josh, your car is going to be sooo badass when finished, that set-up is just a little outa my price range haha.

Cheers

I have used all of the springs. Do not use Eibach (what I have in my turbo) Much too stiff.

Again - H & R (Sport - not race) with Bilstien Sport or Koni SA depending on preference.

We have just done Koni adjustibles and Eibach springs. 500 pound front 700 pound rears.

Are they barrel shaped rear springs to go in the stock location?? with the articulating height adjusters??

Do they remain captive at full droop?? or are your shocks really short in the rear??

When do we get update pics etc... Josh, rather than teaser's and then hijacking other people threads :)

Are they barrel shaped rear springs to go in the stock location?? with the articulating height adjusters??

Do they remain captive at full droop?? or are your shocks really short in the rear??

Correct ...

Will post an update when this phase is done .. hopefully in the next week or two ... We have been waiting a long time for parts to turn up from overseas (mainly NZ suppliers not having stock and shipping bits) and also a gammy jack that has to go back _yet_ again with faulty valves. Still have to go and get the new brake lines made up and actually attach the new front struts to the car.. but apart from that is looking real good.

Cheers for all the advice.

One more query, What would the ride and quality be like if i were to just put the springs in with my stock shocks? Aren't the shocks in the m325i's bilteins already?

Cheers Mavrick

Cheers for all the advice.

One more query, What would the ride and quality be like if i were to just put the springs in with my stock shocks? Aren't the shocks in the m325i's bilteins already?

Cheers Mavrick

Harsh, bouncy, horrible.

Sweet as, Hopefully I should have some quotes by this afternoon.

Post up prices. Keen to know for a mate.

Hey Andrew,

Maybe we should open up a sticky thread for general pricing and best practice info on things like suspension, pro's and cons .. as soon as I know about the ground control system ill write a review, on-road performance vs track use compromise.. etc etc

Yeah will do, may take a while to gather some prices. The prices will most likely be lower in bigger centers i.e. Wellington and Auckland.

First susp. place I went to had never heard of H&R springs and juts said he fabricates his own for BMW's. Am going next week to get a price for Koni shocks.

Cheers

go and see dave at TSV, no point going to something like a H&R spring when he can make you a custom one for much cheaper. He'll sort some shocks to go in too.

go and see dave at TSV, no point going to something like a H&R spring when he can make you a custom one for much cheaper. He'll sort some shocks to go in too.

Thats where i went, going in next week to have a quote written up.

I would personally rather get a reputable brand but we'll see.

Have already been advised not to get any of the work there done, but as i said im just looking at the moment.

I used to run, Jamex Springs with Koni SA's, Carl has them now.

I really liked them, it was a good road setup, a bit low maybe but not TOO low.

What do you think Carl? You also had that setup on the track a fair bit.

Edited by E30-323ti

Just been in TSV and sh*t just gets more confusing.

Was told that even if i were to go to the koni sports they would have to be shortened 50mm (if i was to lower it 50mm) otherwise the spring wouldn't sit in there. Clarify?

Also was told that holden spring fit correctly and would lower the car sufficiently, with the right shocks. Dont really want a holden part in my car, has anyone heard of anyone doing this before?

What would be the best amount to lower the car by? Im looking for the euro rake look......

The guys there are really helpful and should have a quote by this afternoon.

Sorry for all the questions, but im a noob when it comes to suspension.

Cheers Mavrick

We phoned Stocks http://www.georgestock.co.nz/index.html ... for ours

The rear adjustibles are infact ford / holden fitting part koni branded but fit the e30's rear shock mounts. (this is what was on the invoice from stocks)

you can't buy (from koni anyways) an e30 adjustible rear .. so they just use the ford / holden one. these are the same as used in the e30 race series cars.

you can buy two 'types' of koni's (if you already didnt know) FAQ from koni themselves

"The KONI Special (red) has been engineered to maximize the ride comfort with good handling performance for each vehicle application. The KONI Sport (yellow) typically starts at a higher initial valving baseline to give a sportier feel and work on vehicles with higher performance parts."