Sign in to follow this  
bumpdE30

changing brake pads

i read the sticky thread above and on an e30 320i rear brakes there is a use only once bolt.. is it definitly not reuseable? and out of curiousity why is that? where can i get another bolt if i dont buy genuine bmw pads?

thanks guys

Hey there. Me personaly, I would be happy reusing as ive done many times but would put a bit of thread lock just to be safe. The bolt could be a stretch bolt but im not sure there. Just dont tighten the hell out of it.

i read the sticky thread above and on an e30 320i rear brakes there is a use only once bolt.. is it definitly not reuseable? and out of curiousity why is that? where can i get another bolt if i dont buy genuine bmw pads?

thanks guys

there are different brake setups for the rears, the on Andrew describes is an earlier setup, yours may be different, so check.

I go with Steve's remark, I would reuse the bolt but with locktite or similar.

My last set of pads (not genuine BMW) came with a new bolts and they were pre coated with thread lock.

which bolts are these exactly? is it on the drum set-up? because i have never come across them on my rear discs.

the rears dont have em and the fronts do

just a little bolt to hold caliper together...its re usable, again with loc tite

most new pad sets come with a couple of extra bolts.

thanks everyone for the help, really appreciate it.

its nice to get such good reponce insted of being called an idiot.

so cheers!!

Just some info - use-once bolts are designed specifically with 'give' in them so at the correct tightening torque they fatigue slightly (stretch) and "Lock" in place. Once this has happened, the bolt/nut will not do it again. Hence the reason many people reuse them but with loctite.