Sign in to follow this  
m_power

Engine in e30

Ok this is not for me but just woundering out of interest what everyone would put in an e30. Your budget is $8000 and it has to be a bmw engine, so what would you put in? For me it would have to be an m50b25 or a m30 of some sort.

Gus and I were talking about this the otherday $8k? I'll make the assumption that I do any work I can myself then NA m52b28 or m20b25turbs.

Yuh S62!!

or M52 B28

OR even better:

Posted Image

Edited by ED1RTY

WTF are you all on - you can buy an s62 for under 8 grand, but once you factor in installation etc, no way you could have it running for that. An m52b28 goes for around $2500-3000 and then you're looking at a couple of grand install if you do it your self by the time you get mounts and exhaust fabricated, suss out issues like brake booster, wiring, etc etc.

An m2b28 conversion may be had for $5k, and maybe s50 for $8 but I think you're pushing it.

So you reckon you could get an m52b28 5 speed in an e30 done and dusted for 8k? Wouldnt that be a bit of a tight budget.

Edited by M10_E30

Guest Denny Crane

WTF are you all on - you can buy an s62 for under 8 grand, but once you factor in installation etc, no way you could have it running for that. An m52b28 goes for around $2500-3000 and then you're looking at a couple of grand install if you do it your self by the time you get mounts and exhaust fabricated, suss out issues like brake booster, wiring, etc etc.

An m2b28 conversion may be had for $5k, and maybe s50 for $8 but I think you're pushing it.

I didn't see any mention of install included in the original price of 8K. Read the question. Its fundam3ntal.

So you reckon you could get an m52b28 5 speed in an e30 done and dusted for 8k? Wouldnt that be a bit of a tight budget.

Not if you did the donkey work yourself. Its something I'm considering at the moment. Although I am taking into account the fact I can use my current manual gearbox (260 getrag) and don't have to buy one for the m52. (which I can, but you prob can't).

Ask the man Sam - I see your point. I assumed that the $8k included actually putting the engine in the e30. So which is it M10_E30 incl. or excl. installation?

You could so have an S50 in for under 8k.

Not if you did the donkey work yourself. Its something I'm considering at the moment. Although I am taking into account the fact I can use my current manual gearbox (260 getrag) and don't have to buy one for the m52. (which I can, but you prob can't).

Ask the man Sam - I see your point. I assumed that the $8k included actually putting the engine in the e30. So which is it M10_E30 incl. or excl. installation?

Well i was thinking, in, done and runing. Everyone happy now?

S50 or M52B28 or even M62B35 <<dont know how good they are but a 3.5 litre V8 sound good to me :D

S50 my choice

Guest Denny Crane

You could so have an S50 in for under 8k.

There is no new part required for the swap that costs more than 300 dollars. Except the engine, obviously.

a 10K budget would leave money for a brake upgrade and a c/f hood to offset the slight weight increase.

You can't even put the S50 and M52 in the same league - the S50 has 100 more hp out the box.

s50 in and done for under 10k

or m50 -m52 for under 8k

Cost me 5 1/2 mths and about $5800 to get the m50 in my old beast and that's doing it on the cheap

Still on topic sort of:

Can someone please give me an educated opinion on the following:

Cost of m50 vs m52 swap roughly the same.

M50B25 140kw@5900rpm/250Nm@6500rpm (high revving torque)

M52B25 125kw@5500rpm/250Nm@4000rpm (lower revving torque but same HP as M20B25)

M52B28 140kw@5300rpm/280Nmw@4000rpm (low revving torque plus higher torque and M50B25 HP)

Yet,

However, there was critism of the M52 engine in some markets, especially the UK, which had high levels of sulphur in the petrol during the late 90's. Sulphur acts as a corrosive agent against Nikasil and led to a lot of the early engines having premature bore-liner wear. In many situations the engine required a complete and expensive rebuild.

Gary - you commented that based on the cost, an m50 upgrade was not worth the money. M52 seems like a dodgy option as NZ has had high-sulphur fuel, and so its M52's may be on their way out.

I want around 145kw (s14 power) and would like to spend m50/m52 swap money ($6-8k) - what is the best option? I DON'T want an e36 and cannot yet afford an e46 330i which is the next best choice IMO.

I want around 145kw (s14 power) and would like to spend m50/m52 swap money ($6-8k) - what is the best option? I DON'T want an e36 and cannot yet afford an e46 330i which is the next best choice IMO.

Ok - sounds like I want a rolex for the price of a casio, but what I mean to say is - surely there is better bang for youur buck out there. I have been suggested an nice 350 chev or a 3.8 v6 holden motor that could do that kind of thing for beer money, but for some reason that doesn't sit right with me. Ideas?

Edited by bravo

Guest Denny Crane

S70/2

Good cause i'm wrecking a couple of Mclaren's this week. I have an S70/3 out of a 97 long tail GTR next month too.

Will you want the gold engine foil too?

Can do you a cheap S70/1 out of the M8 prototype which i saved from the crusher.

Ive got a couple of spare S70/2 floting around somewhere to lol

re: doing the s50 swap in NZ...has anyone actually got a reasonable firm price for EVERYTHING you need inc misc stuff like manifolds/ecu etc?