Sign in to follow this  
StylesM5

Portugal Barnfind

Ive seen this before a few times, but it still amazes me

I've never seen it before, but it almost reduced me to tears of frustration and longing. There's at least one of nearly every old car I've ever lusted after. Porsche 356s, all those old Italians, Loti (Plural of Lotus?), there's even a bloody Alfasud.

I hope DEFTONES sees this - he's over there now isn't he?

Spain I thought - Americas Cup.

That is one of those things everyone hopes to find, but never does. Who owns the land? How could they never have looked in the shed?

Yeah whats the story behind it. Some amazing cars in there.

In Lisbon (Lisboa) at the moment. Cars here are pretty avg of what I've seen. Wonder if that barn is close by....

Another note, Spanish women > Portugese women. Disappointing.

Edited by DEFTONES

Yip I agree. I did meet a few nice ones while I was over there though. But its nearly as average as NZ. lol

wow what a find..... love to know the story behind it.

Yeah, the website doesn't divulge too much. Would love to decide which ones i want to keep and sell off others to restore/drive my ones. Ultimate "kid in a candy store" stuff.

THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY

Manuel Menezes Morais shot the photos, but he was sworn to secrecy about the cars' location and the owner's name. However, he was able to obtain permission from the elusive owner to give me the following information:

The owner of the cars was a car dealer in the 1970s and 1980s, and decided to save the more interesting cars that came through his doors. When the barn was full, he padlocked and "soldered" the doors shut. (Perhaps welding was too permanent.)

Web sites varied on the number of cars: 58, 100, and 180 were speculated. According to Morais, there are 180 cars in the barn.

And, aw shucks, none of the cars is for sale.

Clara was able to determine that the cars are located somewhere in the area of Sintra, near Lisbon.

I asked Morais if he could ask the owner if he had a favorite car. "He has lots of good cars in very good condition," he says, "but he loves the Lancia Aurelia B24. He has two."

I would ask that a European-based SCM subscriber pick this story up and help fill in the blanks. And let me know what you find (tomgcotter@roadrunner.com). I'd like to include the true story in a future In the Barn book, as well as in SCM.

Found this here http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/1110

Sounds good but id belive anything on the web!

"Secret location" cause they are all stolen.

By the government as backup for some illegal project.

With the identity of all spies and intelligence in the glove boxes haha.

Damn I want to find a barn like that, and happen to own a vintage car restoring company...

By the government as backup for some illegal project.

With the identity of all spies and intelligence in the glove boxes haha.

Damn I want to find a barn like that, and happen to own a vintage car restoring company...

I was thinking something more realistic like stolen by aliens...

You could quite comfortably start-up your own restoration co. with these cars and be booked out for the next century.