Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Gearbox for M50

Still trying to work out what gearbox to use on the M50 for my E30 have read so many different recomendations and setups but none of them really go into deepth on whats required for each setup.

I know that the Getrag 260 bolts up fine etc but has about a 10-15deg angle therefor making the gear lever an annoying anlge correct? Anyone have the best recomendation for what I want to do or is there a way to solve the angle problem with the Getrag 260?

Luke

Still trying to work out what gearbox to use on the M50 for my E30 have read so many different recomendations and setups but none of them really go into deepth on whats required for each setup.

I know that the Getrag 260 bolts up fine etc but has about a 10-15deg angle therefor making the gear lever an annoying anlge correct? Anyone have the best recomendation for what I want to do or is there a way to solve the angle problem with the Getrag 260?

Luke

It's not for everyone - but you could cut the front of the gearbox off and weld it back on at the correct angle.

I did this with my 318iS turbo and the gearbox has taken the punishment of quite a lot of power etc etc.

Obviously the bellhousing to input shaft relationship needs to remain perfect so I'd recommend a machine shop does it.

OR bend the gearlever.

Failing that - try find the M50 ZF 5spd box and use that.

Yep find the M50 box, I'll take one too! I have the 260 in my car and to be honest I have no issues with the angle of the stick - however I have modified the stick to reduce throw as much as you can and increased the length to put it closer to the steering wheel works brilliantly but not pretty enough for a road car, I also had to shorten the selection arm to line up to the hole in the tunnel, I simply cut and re tig'd no real drama at all, you could possibly correct the angle when you did this but I am not sure how this would effect gear selection. There is no easy way I am aware of to fit the 260 and correct the angle but honestly it is not that bad initially i had to trim the tunnel a bit to engage 5th but in hindsight some new bushes probably would have sorted that. after a couple of days in the car you will not notice it, there are no associated gear selection issues and it doesn't look all that stupid.

Roughly how much did it cost you to have the gearbox altered Andrew? Might try and find a M50 ZF 5spd i supose they are rather rare though? Otherwise I may have to opt out for the modified Getrag 260 or do what you did Jonty. HAve you got pics on your build or any info that would help me out like a parts list. Most part lists I have read are in the UK and probably harder to find some of those parts here in NZ. Should do more research before I ask really but cheers for the info guys

Luke

Mate there is plenty of info on the net re the m50 swap www.e30m50.com is a good one, it is a simple swap and the list is not that long, from memory I list below the things i needed - bear in mind mine is a track car only so had less issues with compliance worries etc.

M50b25 engine

Getrag 260 Box

E34 m50 sump, oil pick up and dip stick tube

E28 535 motor mounts

Drive shaft I used the rear section of my 316 manual and the front section from a e28 525 to fit the box, just a bit of trial and error to get the right PCD

Gearbox mount - custom made my own you can use the e30 one with the M50ZF box with e21 mounts, with the getrag easier to make your own

Brakes, either move the servo(hard) or fit one from a mk11 VW golf - smaller in diameter and clears the inlet manifold, just needs a little spacer droped into the M/C shaft.

Exhaust , custom is really the only way to go here - you can modify the tubuler mani from the M52 but it is not as nice as a set of headers, standard cast ones go in the bin no way to make it fit.

that is your list as I recall, electrical issues I overcame by running a link and have no other electrics to worry about.

Check out also www.e3024v.com

would it be possible to mount the engine on a slight angle to help decrease the problem?

this is what i have been thinking of doing. will it effect anything? oil pick up should still be ok. any ideas?

Yea I have been to most of those sites except the last one, had a good look through that last one seems very helpful so many different variations im trying to find the most simple/cheapest, not that the most simple will be the cheapest lol. As for mounting the engine on a slightly different angle you will have to customise your mounts, im guessing the reason the engine is on such an angle already is for clearance of your bonnet etc. in other words the motor is to tall to sit straight up and down vertically.

Also you will run into the problem of your sump not being nice and level which would possibly cause oil pickup problems etc.... correct me if im wrong? Better off modifying or using the right gearbox I figure.

ps. Jonty m50e30, would you mind throwing a pic up off how your gear lever sits inside your car?

Cheers, Luke

Edited by Boost Junky

Hey guys have found a Getrag 5 speed transmission and the seller says it suits a e32/e34 bmw from a 535 or something. This will bolt up to a M50B25 correct?

Cheers, Luke

The ZF box which came with the M50/S engines (obviously) and the one out of the M20 (Getrag 260) are the ones which fit. M30 box, 535i is a no go.

Dude,

Im doing an M50 turbo conversion. I will be using a fully serviced/modified (like andrews) getrag 260. It should/will cope with the 500hp fine. Im sure a stock M50 conversion will not cause any hiccups.

Dude,

Im doing an M50 turbo conversion. I will be using a fully serviced/modified (like andrews) getrag 260. It should/will cope with the 500hp fine. Im sure a stock M50 conversion will not cause any hiccups.

Cheers Jake, mint didnt really know the quality/strength of them i suppose being getrag it should be relatively descent though. Have actually found a M50 ZF 5spd tranmission with clutch, x member etc now so am going to go with that. Costing me $1200 so all im needing now is the VW Golf MKII Brake booster setup. Does anyone know if the ZF 5spd gearbox will bolt upto the E30 M40 Auto trans driveshaft?

Luke

You shouldnt need the crossmember, use the E30 one with E28 mounts.

Where did you find the ZF?

Edited by Jake The Muss

Dude,

If you are considering cutting and re-welding the bellhousing and putting a huge amount of torque through it i'd reconsider. While mine hasn't broken I'm under no illusion I've made the gearbox weaker (the alloy doesn't weld very nicely).

No I was going to make custom linkages etc. Not taking your approach Andrew. I was under the impression that the Getrag was a stronger box anyway?

You shouldnt need the crossmember, use the E30 one with E28 mounts.

Where did you find the ZF?

Oh aye so the E30 Cross member off my Auto box should bolt directly to the ZF box? Be mint if that is the case.

Found it from a wreckers, $1200 havnt actually purchased it yet have to wait for Dad to get back from Australia next Monday for him to pay for it so dont wanna say where it is lol :P u know just in-case...

Hey guys got my ZF 5 Speed box for my M50 Conversion today. The Cross member that comes with the ZF box is wider than the auto cross member off my 318i E30. Will a manual E30 Cross member fit up properly? Also Does anyone know which driveshaft I will need to use?

Cheers, Luke