Sign in to follow this  
Cale

Respray

Thinking of painting my Dads E30 in the garage at home as it is getting old and oxidising.

Anyone done it at their house?

Wondering if it is a difficult and lengthy process or pretty straight forward.

Thinking of painting my Dads E30 in the garage at home as it is getting old and oxidising.

Anyone done it at their house?

Wondering if it is a difficult and lengthy process or pretty straight forward.

Pretty simple if you are going to SATIN BLACK the beast!

I wouldnt reccomend it if you are not a pro.

Shed jobs = crap

I've done it. LOTS of work. Would rather spend the same time working overtime and pay someone.

That said - was rewarding to say - "I did that" was sh*t job though compared to the pros lol.

did my old cortina, too much work and I got so sick of it after ages, so much prep and u get so f**ked off if theres a mark etc.. and believe me... there will be marks lol.

Cheers guys.

How many hours would you be looking at?

it took me about a day to fully strip the car, then to sand it and bog up little bits took me about 5 days, then to paint it took me about 2 or 3 days but i was workin at my own pace and I dunno how fast anyone else gets it done.

We are half way through doing a garage respray on a mates KE30 corrolla.

After about 2 days finding rust(which sucks,everytime you think your done you find more and more and more...)

and 4 days of bogging/welding/grinding etc,we are at sanding stage and boy is it going to be fun,would have been easier to coat the whole car in a layer of bog and sand it smooth :mellow: .

Anyways,pretty much if you can be bothered doing it all for a not-so-professional finish then go for gold.

Otherwise,as Graeme said,spend that time working and maybe get someone to do you a cashy.Propably be worth prepping as much as you can to save money,it aint really hard...just time consuming.

Just talked to a auto painter who my Dad knows,

he said about $1500 for quality materials for half decent job then really needs to be baked!!

yes exactly it really needs a proper room and then a proper oven to bake the paint, theres no way in hell even considering 2pac paint it neeeeeeds an oven.

what are you all scared off?

2pac paint, on a warm day in a garage is more than fine. The biggest problem is the person behind the gun. If you are not a painter or have any experience with painting then the job will be crap no matter if you use a booth or your toilet.

I have painted a few cars now either in a garage or outside on a nice wind free day. Good job done on all and not needing to be buffed.

Baking is good as it helps “gell†the paint into a smooth finish but depending on what bog and how much/deep there is on the car you can expect holes when finished. The heat pops the air bubbles in bog and you get the holes. Sink back is also a nasty thing with bog and this will happen with a pro (doing a perky) or you doing it. The time needs to be put in to prime, sand,prime and let the primer settle properly before painting.

Just take the bull by the horns and get into it.

You will see the results of your labour if you spend the time.

Good luck

what are you all scared off?

2pac paint, on a warm day in a garage is more than fine. The biggest problem is the person behind the gun. If you are not a painter or have any experience with painting then the job will be crap no matter if you use a booth or your toilet.

I have painted a few cars now either in a garage or outside on a nice wind free day. Good job done on all and not needing to be buffed.

Baking is good as it helps “gell†the paint into a smooth finish but depending on what bog and how much/deep there is on the car you can expect holes when finished. The heat pops the air bubbles in bog and you get the holes. Sink back is also a nasty thing with bog and this will happen with a pro (doing a perky) or you doing it. The time needs to be put in to prime, sand,prime and let the primer settle properly before painting.

Just take the bull by the horns and get into it.

You will see the results of your labour if you spend the time.

Good luck

Would you do a perky at all?

I buy all the product and fix you up with some coin aswell.

If I had time on my hands I would be more than happy to lend a hand.

If you need advice just ask but I am unable to commit time in actually doing it sorry.

Wind free day in Wellington?

So...Heaps of priming and sanding, then 2:1 (paint:hardener), then a clear coat on that? Thinners?

How would you do engine bay, door frames and around front/back windscreen?

Wind free Wellington does happen. I must admit, I live up the coast so is not as bad when it comes to wind.

If you are doing a lot of bogging then you need to prime, sand, prime, sand. This is to reduce the amount of sink back you get. Make sure you use a good primer. 2k is good but epoxy is better. I stay with 2k as the cost is a little cheaper.

Engine bay there is only one way to do it properly. Remove everything in there so you have nothing left to get in the way. Mask up all holes that go in to the car (from the inside) and treat the painting of it the same as you would the outside of the car.

If you want to remove the window is the best way. You can get special masking tape that you hook under the window rubber and it pulls it up and out of the way so you can spray under the rubber. I haven't use this yet as I always just take the windows out but will use it when I touch up my car later this year.

I would highly recommend you use a good brand paint. PPG, Debeer (spelling), Standox etc. That way you are sure of a good finish that will last. Nothing worse than spending your time doing this and it flattening off with in a few months. Very disheartening.

You might find a car painter who is happy to advise you on the steps you need to take and come and inspect your work and point you in the right direction as you go. THe idea being you do all the prep work and said painter will come to your house and do the actual painting. For not very much $$

This is how a friend painted his Alfa 156 for about $300 ( turned out mint )

This way you have done all the prep and saved cost and you still get a very good finish for a fraction of the price.

BTW prep work sucks unless you have a big compressor for using air tools