Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Removing paint from a car finish

We had a stupid promotion at work (radio station) where schoolkids sent in their ideas to paint a car with their school's colours. The car's paintwork is now covered in the colourful handprints of 30 intermediate-aged children.

The car (an '85 Ford Laser) is an absolute minter and it was offered to a workmate for free cos he doesn't have a car at present.

Is there a cheap and easy way to remove the paint without removing the paint (if you catch my drift). We thought about turps, nail polish remover, Jif.... any other ideas?

Cheers, Mark.

post-2031-1192415972_thumb.jpg

Bendex brake clean. NOT CRC.

Be careful to apply to rag and then wipe, don't spray directly onto the paint.

This should be the ticket, but try in a small place out of sight as a test first.

Don't use Jif, thinners etc as it will destroy the paint under neither

Cheers for the help guys.... I'll let my workmate know and post a pic once it's all done.

I'd try this first..

If you want to remove the 'new' layer of crappy childrens paint - Use a clay bar, We use clay bars to remove overspray, Concrete, Coal dust, or metallic dust from imports at work.

You can pick one up from a place called Pacer, or Supershine - Both nationwide.. Use in conjunction with water and it will lift anything and everything from the paint.

You just keep the surface wet, and rub the clay over the offending material - this does no damage to the paint underneath.

Why oh why.... Do you want to remove it?

Oh my god those kids need an arse whopping!