Sign in to follow this  
joel

Mechanics quote on my E30

Now I'm not to mechanically minded, and here is what they quoted me on what needs to be done on the E30.

Costing all up $1360

Gear Box seal

Drive Shaft rubber coupling

2 Gear box mounts

Overhaul Steering rack

Now is this reasonable, or should I try and do some of the stuff myself, cause its alot of money?!

Thanks alot,

Nick

Guest 540Si

Now I'm not to mechanically minded, and here is what they quoted me on what needs to be done on the E30.

Costing all up $1360

Gear Box seal

2 Gear box mounts

Overhaul Steering rack

Now is this reasonable, or should I try and do some of the stuff myself, cause its alot of money?!

Thanks alot,

Nick

I'm guessing it's mostly labour for dropping the gearbox out? I had to do steering rack in my old E34 and without the tool to pop it all apart it was going to be a mission!

Just out of curiosity, cause we're local - who's the mechanic you use Nick?

I havn't had the car for long, first time I have taken it in. I took it to Peek Autoworx in Havlock, alot cheaper than Jeff Grey though. Where do you take your's to?

Guest 540Si

I havn't had the car for long, first time I have taken it in. I took it to Peek Autoworx in Havlock, alot cheaper than Jeff Grey though. Where do you take your's to?

Haven't had it long either - took 540 to Greens in Napier - seemed reasonable and the guy impressed me.

Got steering rack in 535 done by Bates Wheel alignment in Onekawa - really good

But I'm new to the Bay so I don't really know the local guys

** But I sourced all the parts myself **

Edited by 540Si

Hey Nick,

Ive had gearbox seal and drive shaft coupling done on the M325 and it wasn't that expensive. I'm guessing that most of the cost will be steering Rack overhaul. Might be cheaper to source a good second hand rack and just swap them.

Failing that working on E30's is always an experience ha

Costing all up $1360

Gear Box seal

2 Gear box mounts

Overhaul Steering rack

Thanks alot,

Nick

do the gearbox mounts and drive shaf coupling yourself. Should only take abou 30 min to do both.

Gearbox seal is not to hard to do in place. You just need to be careful when doing.

Hey Nick,

Ive had gearbox seal and drive shaft coupling done on the M325 and it wasn't that expensive. I'm guessing that most of the cost will be steering Rack overhaul. Might be cheaper to source a good second hand rack and just swap them.

Failing that working on E30's is always an experience ha

Yeh, 560 for the steering rack. Most definantly worth it though.

BMW's are not cheap cars haha

Guys

HAve a chat to Andrew at Andrew Hollywood Motors in Corunna Bay, Napier. Tell him you bought the car off "Jock Styles" Nick and he should cut you a deal. Either that or he'll rip you right off :lol:

He did all the work on my old mans cars and did a good job.

Guys

HAve a chat to Andrew at Andrew Hollywood Motors in Corunna Bay, Napier. Tell him you bought the car off "Jock Styles" Nick and he should cut you a deal. Either that or he'll rip you right off :lol:

Cheers for that, sent him an email a couple of hours ago and I will give him a call on Monday

do the gearbox mounts and drive shaf coupling yourself. Should only take abou 30 min to do both.

Gearbox seal is not to hard to do in place. You just need to be careful when doing.

Depends on which seal though doesn't it?

And if you are paying them to do the seal it makes no sense doing the other stuff yourself as they will have the driveshaft etc out anyway.

But the racks are easy to change and secondhand ones are cheap, so you could tackle that no problem. Just get some advice first as there are tricks to wiggling it out and undoing the tie rod ends without damaging them etc.

But the racks are easy to change and secondhand ones are cheap, so you could tackle that no problem. Just get some advice first as there are tricks to wiggling it out and undoing the tie rod ends without damaging them etc.

Ya, a good rack is around $120 P/S, manual rack set you back $150 2nd hand.

Guys

Got a quote from Andrew, will take the E30 to him. Nice guy.

He said to send his regards to you and your family.

Thanks Jock,

Nick