Sign in to follow this  
SKT174

Trunk not opening

My trunk just suddenly stopped working, and the symptoms ...

internal and trunk button does not work and only can hear a click near glove box (relay sound?)

I checked all the fuses and none blown.

And the position of the key lock at the trunk is vertical, so it is definitely not in lock position.

First thing that came into mind is the actuator, but ...

I went to a wrecker and they pulled out the actuator from one of the E39, but still not working, it does not move at all when you press the trunk release button. So he went and pull out another one from another E39, same result.

I took my actuator and tried on my friend's E39 and it works, so that is why the two actuators from wreckers not working because it is not the actuator at fault.

I also test the 4 pin connector with a multimeter and got the following results.

4 wires on the harness, starting from the notch on the end.

White wire / Brown strip - constant 12 v

Grey wire / Brown strip - voltage jumping from 3.9v to 6v in small steps and once reach 6v is will return back to 3.9v in small steps as well.

Brown wire - no voltage

Grey wire / Green strip - no voltage

The above results are the same with or without the switch being pressed.

I don't think it is a bad switch as I tried the trunk release inside car as well, same result.

Any ideas ?

Edited by SKT174

Is the rubber boot over the micro switch fitting correctly ???

This will cause it not to work. Take the number plate off and flick the switch out. Check the rubber boot for correct fitting and check the micro switch operation. The boots get pushed in because people force them in when lifting to trunk open.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Glenn

Edited by botanymotorworx

Thank you for your prompt reply - much appreciated.

I will check the rubber boot fitting after work. I think it should be ok as I can hear the switch click when I press it and the click sound (relay) near glove box as well ...

But I will go and make sure tonight after work.

Thanks

Suffering from this trunk problem.. can hear a faint mechanical sound when pressing the key...did you manage to resolve this and of so.. what solutions did you apply..