Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

Audio Discussion: How To Punch Out Ski Hole

as you may know the e30 trunk is very well sealed in with that steel wall behind the rear seats! it is almost impossible to get get sound from a boot speaker or sub. i noticed that there is a perforation in the steel to remove for a ski hole i removed this and the sound/bass escapes the boot easier than before and has improved my music quality two fold. heres how i did it.

1. remove the rear seat, first lift the bottom and remove then remove the screws that hold the back in, they are one in each corner. once screws are removed, lift the back of the seat straight up and remove.

2. remove insulation, just simply tear the rectangle off and there behind it is the steel wall.

3. punch out ski hole, using a hammer and chisel shaped punch, cut off each weld until you have completely removed the rectangle of steel. note there will be some bending involved, just bend it back when you've finished.

4. cut a hole in the boot liner, remove the cardboard boot liner from the back of the boot and using a stanley knife cut a rectangle to allow the sound to get to the back of the seat (foam)

5. Replace everything, replce everything in reverse order, don't forget the screws. finished, from the boot you can see the foam of the rear seat, the bass should escape through here to a certain extent.

i recomend facing your sub towards the front of the car at an angle pointing towards the rectangle in the back seat. :wacko:

if you want to know more on audio or want to see photos of this just ask. :D

Guest MSBOND

Dude i know where your coming from

i had to remove al that bullshit to make bigger holes for my 6x9s haha had to do alittle panel work it the rear shelf to make them fit, altho i never thort to puch out the ski hole!

cant be f**ked taking all of it out again

wot a mission cos my rear shelf falling to pieces where the vents r

If you got a ported box: face the sub toward the fromt of the car.

Sealed box : sub faces the back of the car.

That is for the best effect, you may say im full of sh*t but it's tryed and tested and alot of installers will tell you the same, but everyone has there own oppinion.

yeh dude sounds about right, a ported box is a project on the list for the summer, got any tips or recomendations? it'll be a custom box for a single 12" pioneer.

trust me man you can hear it with the ski thingy still in!!..

we put homy's in and it BOOOMS! just make sure you aim the sub towards the rear and its in a solid box oh and no 6x9's.. the idea behind it is 6x9's cancel out the sub freq's and the positioning is to allow the sub freq sound waves to take longer to get to your ears thus smoothing out and giving a nicer tone :D

trust me its NOT THE sh*t to face it towards the front.. even if you have tried it etc... any experienced installer will tell you this is a load and to face it away from the front... no rear fill either (proper if you have no care for passengers) as it f**ks with the sound stage... also when have you gone to a concert and turned your back to it to listen?...i would safely say never! so why do it in your car?

any probs try this site its good for novices :Pcanze audio sh*t

have fun ladies..any probs/q's pm me

Yea dude, Sic is ded rite.

Ollie, i've never owned or used or knowen anyone that has used a ported box, does that say nething????

You already got the sub ? if it's new it should have included in the box, specifications on sizes ect for what you want to use it for, that will make your job a hell of a lot easier.

a few pple have put a few ideas to keep in mind on " appearance and audio" in homy's plan ahead install thing, have a look.

If you need any help PM me, i'm always happy to help out a brotha, sounds like sic is prty on to it too, he may have some ideas 4 ya aswell.

yeh i spun that puppy round and she cranks real well so i'll just leave it how it is and not be arsed with a ported box. afterall its a car not a jukebox.

Guest Spargo

Sealed vs. Vented? You gain roughly 3db going from 1 woofer to 2, all other things being equal. Venting a box properly can gain much more, like 6 to 8db, but all focused at lower frequencies. Better cone control above the tuning frequency, too.

Sealed vs. Vented? You gain roughly 3db going from 1 woofer to 2, all other things being equal. Venting a box properly can gain much more, like 6 to 8db, but all focused at lower frequencies. Better cone control above the tuning frequency, too.

hence why my Earthquake 15" is ported.

another thing that can be said, 3db is a massive increase when your near the top end of the system.

another thing that can be said, 3db is a massive increase when your near the top end of the system.

Hell yeah, thats when i notice the second sub most, with just one it would sort of die out with the volume up, with 2 subs they keep on cranking

its not as much as the speakers its the amps running them that make the difference