Sign in to follow this  
crazyarab

With $40K+ which would you choose?

E30 / E46 M3?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Firstly disclosure: I haven't driven an e30 M3.

I did however look very, very seriously at e46 M3s about 18 months ago. Ultimately I didn't buy one primarily because they are faster than they feel. Personally I think you're better with a car that feels faster than it is - it's much more fun to feel like you're driving fast than slow I'm sure we all agree, but in an e46 M3 you have to be driving really, really fast to get that feeling.

The M3 CSL on the other hand is a different car. It's one of only 2 cars I have deliberately had sideways on a test drive (the other being a RenaultSport Clio 172), which shows how beautifully communicative and balanced the chassis is. It also feels fast where the regular M3 feels like a Mondeo because of the noise it makes I imagine, and the SMG 'box becomes superb when it adds the blip every downshift (which the regular M3 SMG doesn't do). The manual e46 has an awful shift action, somehow very long AND quite notchy with tight and loose bits through the gate.

I voted e30 of the two options because it has to be better than the e46. If the CSL was in budget that would have go tmy vote. I wish I had bough one when I had the chance in fact.

Test drove a M3 CSL!!! Who let you test drive one and will they let me drive it?? Hahahha

M3 Mondeo like, you shore it wasn’t a rebadged 320i because the last M3 I drove was far from Mondeo like it screamed like ban saw, even the 330i is far superior in terms of steering and chassis balance

To be honest it would be hard to comment on a car after only a test drive, you really need a day or so out on some nice back roads. The first M3 I drove was around town and it didn’t feel anything special, it was downright annoying in fact as its clutch was very heavy and buttony but once out in the wops it all become clear.

I test drove a CSL in Torquay. It's probably sold now but even if not it would be a bit extreme going 12,000 miles to drive it. I've also been round the 'Ring in a mate's CSL which was quite an experience.

I test drove several other M3s both manual and SMG, coupe and cab. I really wanted one, but they just didn't grab me somehow. They don't really feel all that fast as they are quiet and fuss-free, which is what I mean by Mondeo-like. You wouldn't know you're driving anything special when you aren't wringing its neck and when you are wringing its neck you'd better hope you don't happen upon anything unexpected or Mr Plod. I don't see how spending more time with one would have changed my feeling about them significantly. I don't recall any of the SMGs blipping anything like the CSL - maybe they do it when you're driving hard, but the CSL does it even in auto mode when you're tootling down to the shops and that put a smile on my face for sure.

I should have bought a CSL in hindsight but I let myself be sucked into 360bhp not being enough and had to have 500+ so I bought an RS6 - which I have since sold on as it wasn't all that either.

Im guessing thats coming from someone that has driven both . . . . ?

The E30 M3 is still one of the greatest chassis of all time, leaves the E46 in the shade for driver feedback and thrills.

Now there's a man who knows what he's talking about.

I own an E30 M3 as some of you might have guessed by my signature and a friend/workmate has an E46 M3 which I've driven but only only the motorway and around town.

Hard to make a proper judgment but I don't really turn my head when I see an E46 M3 they're everywhere. I can't say that I've ever seen an E30 M3 on the road anywhere in New Zealand.

I've owned my E30 M3 now for 7 years, and done a few mods to produce great hp (230hp at the wheels), and with the amazing handling, I'll vote for E30 M3 'till hell freezes over, in fact I'm going to be buried in it when I die. Best car BMW ever made!!!!!

Award for the oldest thread dig goes to......

• Like 4

I've owned my E30 M3 now for 7 years, and done a few mods to produce great hp (230hp at the wheels), and with the amazing handling, I'll vote for E30 M3 'till hell freezes over, in fact I'm going to be buried in it when I die. Best car BMW ever made!!!!!

The comment before yours was written when you bought your M3! haha!

EDIT: Start a thread, we'd all love to see details and photos!

Edited by Nick G
  • Like 1

Word. Unno what I'm saying. No Ragrets.

lol - think of the price difference now.

Anyone who chose E46 back in 2008 will now feel like a mug.

Too right... Meanwhile those sitting on E30 M3 might have earned a good three to four.... hundred dollars per year, as long as they didn't drive it. Proof for those who need it what an awesome investment cars are.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 2

If they paid $40k for an e30 m3 in2008 it ain't worth $60k now. Maybe $50k at a push but that's still only a bit over a grand a year profit. Not worth writing home about!

Plenty, but both are sh*t! Wasn't criticising your post, Dave, merely point out that investing in a car isn't a good investment. Unless you bought a McLaren F1 20 odd years ago!!

lol - think of the price difference now.

Anyone who chose E46 back in 2008 will now feel like a mug.

Lol , I think an e46 m3 would have been Evo 2 money back then if you could find one. These days if you spend $25-$35k you getting s lot more choice with the e46 than the e30.

I guess the choice now would be for the dollars e30 M3 verse e60 M5

Wasn't criticising your post, Dave, merely point out that investing in a car isn't a good investment. Unless you bought a McLaren F1 20 odd years ago!!

Yes, very rare that you make any money on a car, unless you pour $$$s into it, or do all the labour yourself type situations.

Once in a while, a car becomes the hottest collectible on the market, once it was E-Type Jags, even rusted out hulks in fields were selling for $20k+, then that market crashed. Probably been a couple of cars in between, but right now it seems to be the E30 M3. Which is a real sh!tter because I so badly want to buy one and as fast as I save the prices are going up faster.

It is not so noticeable in NZ as there are so few cars, and a very restricted demand, however keeping an eye on prices in Germany, UK and USA show how much they have gone up., and how much people are trying to cash in on the boom, and in some cases are. Fingers crossed the bubble will burst and I will get to own my dream car at some point.

Marketed correctly and sold through the right channels, a car that was worth $40k in 2008 would be easily worth $70-90k now, even if it had been driven quite a bit and maintained at a reasonable level. As I mentioned on another thread, the best E30 M3 road car is leaving NZ soon as it's owner was made an offer that was too good to refuse.

But overall, yeah, who buys a car as an investment rather than to drive the thing.... shouldn't be allowed, especially with M3s!

I understand.

Someone who posts here has a collection that appreciates but that's a pretty special collection. To which I think he's just added a McLaren P1, delivered today.

Lucky guy .. My friend tried to get a P1 but they were all spoken for. She had to settle for a 650s

Too right... Meanwhile those sitting on E30 M3 might have earned a good three to four.... hundred dollars per year, as long as they didn't drive it. Proof for those who need it what an awesome investment cars are.

I'd have paid that $400 to drive it. :v

Plenty, but both are sh*t! Wasn't criticising your post, Dave, merely point out that investing in a car isn't a good investment. Unless you bought a McLaren F1 20 odd years ago!!

Have you noticed what 911 pricing is doing?

Or a nice old Mercedes convertible... or a classic American car.. amongst others. There are cars that are going up in value rapidly, the world market is now visible thanks to the internet.