Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

E36 BMW 318IS Motorsport, anyone remember the history?

I just wanted to double check my memory with you guys.

If I recall correctly BMW NZ released the E36 BMW 318is Motorsport around the end of 97 or 98 here is an example here:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=195753096

I believe this was released to celebrate Paul Morris and Craig Baird winning the 1997 2.0 race at Bathurst in a E36 Super Tourer. However this team was disqualified as Baird had violated a race rule prohibiting drivers from driving more than 210 consecutive minutes in any one stint. The race was awarded to teammates David and Geoff Brabham.

BMW still released the above cars to celebrate the win, I think I recall seeing ads in the print that played on this.

Does anyone recall this and the release of the E36 BMW 318is Motorsport? Was it a limited run car? If so does anyone know the numbers of them in NZ?

I always thought they were a run-out model, rather than a celebratory model (well thats probably what it was according to the marketers).

From memory they were South African made cars with the twin cam from the 318is/2 and Z3 plonked in it. No idea how many were sold, but there were quite a few in rather awful colours (like the one you linked to). Didn't someone on here recently buy a nice navy blue one with a smacked up front on it?

All in all, I think they are a nice car. However, it may be rare (like a E36 M3 Sedan) but I wouldn't go and pay a premium over a coupe for one (again like the M3 sedan).

Guest Spottswoode

Fiji Green is so win.

Not the homologation 318iS that was released, but still cool

Didn't someone on here recently buy a nice navy blue one with a smacked up front on it?

Are you talking about the one from tauranga that Ray bought? not sure if he still has it or not.

Id give my left one for a Fiji green E36. Best colour ever

Buy it then...BTW...you'll also be half way there at being a Eunuch :P

Buy it then...BTW...you'll also be half way there at being a Eunuch :P

Hahaha. I like Fiji Green but I dont like it enouhg to spend 12k on a 4-Cyl E36!!

Hahaha. I like Fiji Green but I dont like it enouhg to spend 12k on a 4-Cyl E36!!

Heeeeeeyyyyy, nothing wrong with a 4-Cyl E36 :D

Get what you mean thou. Think theyre trying to play the rare card

Fiji Green is so win.

Not the homologation 318iS that was released, but still cool

Fiji Green does rock!!

Have always wanted one of these. Pretty sure it was an international launch, they do have some significance but it escapes me. Being a 2.0, Touring cars most likely.

It is fully loaded, rare and is a NZ new car, not your run of the mill import.

I think there a couple of members with them, maybe they will shed some light ^_^

Edited by Apex

Heeeeeeyyyyy, nothing wrong with a 4-Cyl E36 :D

Get what you mean thou. Think theyre trying to play the rare card

Hey I got a 4-cyl E36, So what I know is that I dont particularly want another one! haha

Fiji Green does rock!!

Have always wanted one of these. Pretty sure it was an international launch, they do have some significance but it escapes me. Being a 2.0, Touring cars most likely.

It is fully loaded, rare and is a NZ new car, not your run of the mill import.

I think there a couple of members with them, maybe they will shed some light ^_^

Yeah its deffinatly rare since its full spec and NZ new. But yeah 12k still a bit much when for that price you could get a newer BMW, I mean my mate picked up a NZ new full option E46 328 for 10k so I think I justify it by what I could have insted B)

I think he offered it for 8.5k after it didnt sell the first round?

I agree, the colour is nice! Although might prove a bit of a sore point when time comes to sell on..

Powder coat the wheels Black and lower it, she would look amazing.

How hard would it be to Turbo??

I always thought they were a run-out model, rather than a celebratory model (well thats probably what it was according to the marketers).

From memory they were South African made cars with the twin cam from the 318is/2 and Z3 plonked in it. No idea how many were sold, but there were quite a few in rather awful colours (like the one you linked to). Didn't someone on here recently buy a nice navy blue one with a smacked up front on it?

All in all, I think they are a nice car. However, it may be rare (like a E36 M3 Sedan) but I wouldn't go and pay a premium over a coupe for one (again like the M3 sedan).

You are on the money there, i bought one over 2 yrs ago(Sept 06) for the daughter, NZ New, Boston green (nice dark colour) all black leather(front sport seats), stitched door cards, 17" multispoke etc etc, 72,000km,full history paid $10k.

eit: for those not in the know, has the M44 engine.

Edited by mr E34

Have this one for sale at $8500.

One of 16 J Clayton brought in from SA. Fully M Speced in 4 different colours named after race tracks ie. Macau, Avus,Dakkar etc..

post-1470-1233800193_thumb.jpg

My son has another one.

Edited by HELLBM

Have this one for sale at $8500.

One of 16 J Clayton brought in from SA. Fully M Speced in 4 different colours named after race tracks ie. Macau, Avus,Dakkar etc..

post-1470-1233800193_thumb.jpg

My son has another one.

What are the basic specs on this one? Am looking at purchasing something similar in the next few months and just trying to get a idea of price and such

well this may be a little late to add to, plus it was a really interesting find... but this is My car... made a change or two since buying it like the headlights, and now tints.... soon getting the rims touched up and painted black.... many people voice there opinions over the paint color, at first when i saw it i wasnt too much of a fan... but now i love it it's taken a year or two to grow on me though, haha,