Apex

SPOTTED! The official thread

Spotted our e36 compact ravaged by the scums of the earth. 

Right after we finished putting in brand new headliner and all the maintenance work.. thanks!

Only insured for 2k less 500 excess so big time out of pocket if we get paid out or might be repaired..? 

1F89167E-5309-42EE-8584-669D8ED34606.jpeg

834FAF0F-D7AA-4D91-820E-C06129AC83F3.jpeg

• Sad 4

What was in there to attract the assholes?

8 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

What was in there to attract the assholes?

Total degenerates. They should be found and hung on the wall!

They removed the steering column cover. Were they trying to steal it??

Edited by Moupe

@qube bummer mate.  

Absolutely nothing inside the car except some napkins and my dog’s leash lol.

they didn’t take anything just tried to steal the car. The drivers side door keyhole is damaged, passenger window smashed, and ignition barrel completely destroyed in an attempt to steal the car (and failed)

lots of glass everywhere and for some reason the sunroof is half open.

Actually they left me a small gift - a small tin of eclipse mints (strawberry) so will take into police station for forensics.

have insurance and they will tow it away for assessment.

such a shame because we finally got it running nicely and it was the perfect cheap runabout.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, qube said:

Absolutely nothing inside the car except some napkins and my dog’s leash lol.

they didn’t take anything just tried to steal the car. The drivers side door keyhole is damaged, passenger window smashed, and ignition barrel completely destroyed in an attempt to steal the car (and failed)

That's because BMW Ti's are such a desirable motor vehicle  😍

But it has an immobiliser..  at least know what you’re trying to steal aye.. 

anyway, has been picked up by towtruck now. Fully rained on from today’s crazy weather.

such a shame.. hard to find a good tidy TI these days and thought this one was gonna be a good keeper.

• Sad 1

There has been a shitload of this crap going on recently. Apparently it has something to do with a tiktok trend and kids thinking its easy and fun to steal cars.

Oh, and the other trend is for them to damage the car if they fail to steal it. Cut and smash everything they can. f**king miscreants. 

Edited by KwS
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, qube said:

But it has an immobiliser..  at least know what you’re trying to steal aye.. 

anyway, has been picked up by towtruck now. Fully rained on from today’s crazy weather.

such a shame.. hard to find a good tidy TI these days and thought this one was gonna be a good keeper.

I think your giving the pieces of sh*t too much credit for their intelligence.  

The damage stated above is nothing if you fix yourself besides labor. Rain getting is a problem though if its going to sit outside for who knows how long. 

Hopefully you can save it as they are certainly the cheapest and most reliable BMW you can buy at this point.

Unfortunately it must have happened last night and for whatever reason the sunroof was half open and the passenger door left open and its been raining all day today also. 

I dont have any space at home to park this one other than the road so we decided to just claim the insurance on it and see how that goes. 

its a real pity for sure.

in other news i do see a nice msport alpine white ti on facebook but $2500.. 😑 

Deemed a write off after assessment today.

Final insurance pay out comes to little over $1200.. sigh.

apparently they take the remainder of the insurance premium off (I pay monthly) so there is still $200 odd dollars “outstanding”

what a joke eh.

I have asked them to re-evaluate the car’s value but looking on trademe there isn’t much to go by.. wonder if they will value it any higher than the $2k it was insured for.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, qube said:

apparently they take the remainder of the insurance premium off (I pay monthly) so there is still $200 odd dollars “outstanding”

Wut? 🤔

They want you to pay the rest of a year's insurance on a vehicle that they no longer need to insure? That's BS, don't accept it at all. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Wut? 🤔

They want you to pay the rest of a year's insurance on a vehicle that they no longer need to insure? That's BS, don't accept it at all. 

They actually charge you a year at a time and charge in advance. If you pay monthly, they are financing you (and charge interst, FYI!).

If you look at the monthly payments vs the annual, there is extra charges for monthly payments. I just pay mine annually, because I'm tight! 🤣

Technically, they are correct to charge the additional payments... because you have insured the car for the whole year at a time... but it's really just good planning on their part to minimise their loss! 😉

Im not sure if this is the rule for all insurance companies but they did tell me it was in the policy terms. 

in saying that many years ago when we made a claim for a different write off i am sure that this did not happen so if u made a claim after say a month of policy u dont have to “pay” the remaining 11 months. But i may be wrong and didnt realise at the time. 

Anyway i need to re-evaluate the value on my 130i. Its very under insured given market price (cost to replace). 

7 minutes ago, qube said:

Im not sure if this is the rule for all insurance companies but they did tell me it was in the policy terms. 

in saying that many years ago when we made a claim for a different write off i am sure that this did not happen so if u made a claim after say a month of policy u dont have to “pay” the remaining 11 months. But i may be wrong and didnt realise at the time. 

Sucks that this has happened. You're dead right though, it depends on your insurer and their fine print/terms and conditions. Last one I dealt with, I had been paying monthly (was only a couple of $$$ a year over an annual payment, so no interest being applied), and it was cancelled on the spot - no need to pay out the rest of the term.

If you wanted to get the car back, I would be happy to donate whatever parts I have to you to repair it, got a 2000 Compact sitting there that's for parts now - my plans for it changed, so it's going to get scrapped. If you're keen, just send me a list - I'll get it, package it and get it on it's way for you. Door glass, complete ignition and door locks (with key), steering column trim etc, isn't hard to grab for you man. The interior will dry out, and everything else looks minor and like it can be fixed. Completely your call, I'm happy to do what I can to help salvage it though if you want.

It's a shame to see a decent car written off for minor damage because some butthole decides he wants to charge thousands to repair it, because he doesn't want to do the job but needs to keep quoting insurance work otherwise he won't get any, and because insurance companies are proactively trying to get older cars off the road.

• Like 4

That's rank. I'd find another insurer and tell your existing insurer that this is the reason you're leaving.

Withdraw the claim and fix it yourself. 

In there ads on TV they are always sing and song and happy ending. When you actually deal with them it is nothing but heartbreak and frustration. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Mad_Max thanks so much for the offer. That is really generous of you.

Honestly, I wish I could take it back and fix it but due to where I live, I don’t have any “yard” space, only a double garage and if i do somehow take it back and put it in the garage it means I will need to take one of the cars out and put it “at risk”.

If I had the space I would totally fix it because the car is sweet otherwise. And as you say it probably doesn’t need a whole lot tbh.

I will see what the insurers say tomorrow and will have a discussion about it. I guess if I withdraw the claim then I would need to fork out some money to get it towed somewhere whether its home or somewhere else. 

A whole lot of pain in the ass type of situation really. 

Request for re-evaluation didnt do jack. 

Guess we take the payout unless someone wants to buy it as it is??

Not sure how we would organise it as it is currently with them somewhere in a yard - I could ask and find out but if no one is interested then I would just take the payout and be done with it tbh.

yes it is very nice, (and pricey) but dont need a replacement.