Sign in to follow this  
kerry

link g3 or 4

anyone know were to get at fair price?

Edited by kerry

I don't know much about pricing for these things, but all the guys down here go to DDT (Dobsons Dyno Tune) and they always have heaps of business so must have good pricing. Guy to talk to would be Ross Honnor from there.

Kerry, if you ring Link in chch they will direct you to your local outlet which will be able to give you a price. Not sure who the supplier in Hamilton is but my Link G3 cost me $3,200 that was the price of the ECU + Wiring + Installation. The G3 ECU alone was roughly $1,400 im very doubtful you will be able to purchase the G3 anymore as the G4's have replaced them they are around $1,800.

The only difference between the two is something along the lines of datalogging and a fe wother features + a newer styled com port to connect to the pc i think from memory.

Luke

The new G4's are quite good. Alot better than previous versions (which have a fair bit of bad rep)

The new G4's are quite good. Alot better than previous versions (which have a fair bit of bad rep)

Of course when a newer version comes out its going to be "quite good" and "alot better". Its technology! :rolleyes:

Back on the topic of pricing and where Kerry should go to get a fair price now thanks.

The G3 happens to be actually quite a descent unit thank you :P the Gen 2 and first link that came out well then yea they werent the greatest but at their time of release were considerded a reasonable product, they still had faster processing capabilities than any old factory ECU. But I'd definitely recomend a G4 Kerry they are quite a way up there in the market now mate.

Of course when a newer version comes out its going to be "quite good" and "alot better". Its technology! :rolleyes:

Back on the topic of pricing and where Kerry should go to get a fair price now thanks.

Ok lets put it this way.

The gen 1 and 2's when they first came out they werent very good at all compared to other aftermarket ecu's at the time.

At least now with the G4 they up their with other aftermarket ecu's

Ryan I never heard of any bad rep about the older Links, knew many people running them and they done their job. Of course when you are going to compare them to world leading ECU's on the market that already were big and well developed they will make the first 2 gens of links look like crap.

My mate runs the Gen 2 Link in his race car and it has ran his car for the two years he has owned it and many years when the previous owner had it. It has served the car very well without any issues ;)

But you are very correct on the fact that their latest product is much much better than any of their previous versions which naturally is bound to be the case with such a young product its only going to get better.

Ryan I never heard of any bad rep about the older Links, knew many people running them and they done their job. Of course when you are going to compare them to world leading ECU's on the market that already were big and well developed they will make the first 2 gens of links look like crap.

My mate runs the Gen 2 Link in his race car and it has ran his car for the two years he has owned it and many years when the previous owner had it. It has served the car very well without any issues ;)

But you are very correct on the fact that their latest product is much much better than any of their previous versions which naturally is bound to be the case with such a young product its only going to get better.

sweet g4s were its at then

sweet g4s were its at then

Have you spoken to Gavin yet ? I'd do that first Kerry... you might not need to go link

Have you spoken to Gavin yet ? I'd do that first Kerry... you might not need to go link

no i havent yet glen but i will. just trying to plan ahead , if i go link and in the future put the 3 liter in it? hope to have something that i can easily tune in house or in hamilton ( apparently john butlers good with link) it would be much more handy for me but yea i will talk to gavin before i do anything.

Garry Capper Performance in Pukekohe is offering a G4 fitted and dyno tuned starting from $20 per week, thanks instant finance. Choice.

For a medium range ECU. It has everything going for it and now has one of the top processors for performance like for like.

Unless you really need the more advanced motorsport functions (pectel, AEM etc) link g4 is now the one of the top ECU's you can buy.

Luke, while on the subject of Links and BMW motors do you have any anoyances? I get this PITA problem when you turn the ignition on and have to wait a few seconds for the ECU to boot up before the car will start, I've been told "it's a Link thing"... Pisses me off, like if I ever need to get away in a hurry or stall in heavy traffic it takes aaaages to get going :wacko:.

Luke, while on the subject of Links and BMW motors do you have any anoyances? I get this PITA problem when you turn the ignition on and have to wait a few seconds for the ECU to boot up before the car will start, I've been told "it's a Link thing"... Pisses me off, like if I ever need to get away in a hurry or stall in heavy traffic it takes aaaages to get going :wacko:.

Haha umm not that I know of aye man i have noticed the last 5 days the car is running rather rich on light throttle could be a leak somewhere though? As far as that startup issue I dont ever start my car instantly anyway bud I wait till I hear the fuel pump purge. Im about to go start the car anyway so ill let ya know ;)

p.s are you running G3 or G4?

Link are a reputable brand if you join there site enough people will actually answer questions you are having in relation to them

its around $1800 or bit less you can get them on trademe - very few places in nz are actualy distributors for link so check there site

something cheap go megasquirt - i ws going to go with link for my upcomming project but people are sawing me to megaquirt

had a few mates cars with links great unit but potential on somecars bit swayed dg a evo4 running evo 7 engine (evo 4 injectors) only doing 280hp

for 3k not worth it car is just running stock hp on 16psi boost ripped off, other than that good things but i do like the DIY of Megasquirt and its tunner simple

But defo have a talk to Gavin ill do that before i spend my $$ on the m30 cause want something that will last and can be upgraded

Links are good but not if you have to re-wire every car you put it into and pay 1k for a remap each time.

other ecu's other multiple memorys so more than 1 tune

Haha umm not that I know of aye man i have noticed the last 5 days the car is running rather rich on light throttle could be a leak somewhere though? As far as that startup issue I dont ever start my car instantly anyway bud I wait till I hear the fuel pump purge. Im about to go start the car anyway so ill let ya know ;)

p.s are you running G3 or G4?

G4, but I'm told it happens on all Link ECUs. It's hard to describe exactly what happens, but if I put the key into the 2nd position (before ignition) and wait a few seconds it starts up perfect upon ignition. But if I jump in and instantly turn on the ignition it stops half way thru and sits there for a few seconds then starts up normally. Just wondering if it happens to other people or it's a tuner bug.

Not a major issue, but it's one of those little things that add up :P. Otherwise, Link ECUs are great value for money :).

G4, but I'm told it happens on all Link ECUs. It's hard to describe exactly what happens, but if I put the key into the 2nd position (before ignition) and wait a few seconds it starts up perfect upon ignition. But if I jump in and instantly turn on the ignition it stops half way thru and sits there for a few seconds then starts up normally. Just wondering if it happens to other people or it's a tuner bug.

Not a major issue, but it's one of those little things that add up :P. Otherwise, Link ECUs are great value for money :).

Hey man I tried mine last night and it doesnt do that aye. It starts up instantlly without me even waiting for a few seconds...

Hey man I tried mine last night and it doesnt do that aye. It starts up instantlly without me even waiting for a few seconds...

Alright, thanks. Sorry for thread hijacking ^_^. Edited by ecko_complex

Alright, thanks. Sorry for thread hijacking ^_^.

Sounds more like your fuel pumps aren't getting up to pressure fast enough.