Sign in to follow this  
volcanoblack

E36 squawking sound when turned off

I have a terrible squawk/screech when I turn off the radio, turn off the CD or just shut the car off when the radio is on. Just today I noticed that one of the rear speakers has not working all the time - was on and off for a bit.

Any ideas what could be wrong? It's a '93 325i sedan E36.

I have a 10 disk changer in the trunk and this unit on the dash with removeable face plate.

Posted Image

I know nothing about car stereos so please keep your answers in layman's terms I can understand. If I need to replace anything, I am open to suggestions. I do want to keep the BMW style radio/faceplate and speakers must fit into the original locations. I do not like all the blue lights and blinking things on aftermarket radios, rather prefer the look that I have.

When it is all working the sound is fine with me so I don't need to spend tons of money on a fancy upgraded system. Something about the same would be fine, minus the screeching, of course.

Thanks

Bad capacitors inside the radio, specifically the big electrolytics around the power amplifier stage

Typical problem on a 10+ yr old stereo

A radio repair shop can replace the capacitors - or find an electronics friend to do it for you.

Parts will only be around $10 to max $20 to fix.

Jochen - thanks, any suggestions on how I find a place to do this in the Nelson, South Island, area?

Start with the Yellow Pages

Then ask the local TV repair shop

Or the local garages as to who they use

Tip: ham radio operators are often very clever and used to working on equipment like radios :-)