Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

DIY: Re-colouring Seats

If you just bought some new seats and you don't like the color and you cant currently afford to recover them, all you have to do is...

Get 1 can of black spray paint that's meant for material, and attack your seats, I did 2 coats, took about 30 min to do the whole thing and the paint dries pretty much instantly.

If its not windy you dont need to mask anything, Just got to have a steady hand.

Before it was a washed out blue and after its a semi washed out black, total cast $14

post-3670-1254439800.jpg

post-3670-1254439806.jpg

post-3670-1254439812.jpg

but the after is so much better, well it looks better than washed out blue. Also the paint makes it way more grippy, so grippy its like being in a 6 point harness.

they don't look good, they just look better than before. I've got a guy that will recover them for about $100 per seat so I've just got to find some material I like then they will look good.

At best its a short term fix.

After does look better than before tho' lol.

Re-trim in leather mate, $175 for a full hide on trademe, ya wouldn't need more than 2 hides, then ya got leather interior for bugger all.

Looks a little better.

Have fun washing your white tees after driving the e30.

i've found it doesn't come off, I used a white towel to wipe it really hard and nothing came off, so I wet it then tried and still no paint came off.

Guest Simon*

i've found it doesn't come off, I used a white towel to wipe it really hard and nothing came off, so I wet it then tried and still no paint came off.

I don't believe you :D

Hope you don't know any car-skanks that wear white pants.

They'll be pissed off.

Lmao! Great discovery.

If you want a 6 point harness, slide the seat back 3 notches, then lock the seat belt, then reposition the seat with the belt niiiiice and tight. Amazing.

Just for people who don't know :)

If you want a 6 point harness, slide the seat back 3 notches, then lock the seat belt, then reposition the seat with the belt niiiiice and tight. Amazing.

Just for people who don't know :)

Where might one buy the locks for a seat belt? Or is there a trick to do it with the stock belt? This would certainly help for club track days as I really slide around a lot in the E36 leather seats even on the street through the twisties.

Where might one buy the locks for a seat belt? Or is there a trick to do it with the stock belt? This would certainly help for club track days as I really slide around a lot in the E36 leather seats even on the street through the twisties.

Lock it as in pull it tight so it locks I assume he means.

You could scotch guard them to help keep the dye in I guess.

I was thinking of doing this with my grey seats with black vinyl trims. But wasnt sure if it would come off on my clothes or not. But for the price of a can of paint, not bad I guess. Not sure if I will do it though.