Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

DISTRIBUTOR

I have diagnosed why my car will not start, it's not firing! the dizzy is sick.

i have been told that the problem is generally not in the cap or the rotor and a whole new dizzy is usually required! BUT... what else is there other than the cap (points) and the rotor to go wrong?

I NEED HELP......... shall i attempt to mend the dizzy or

shall i remove it completely and replace with a second hand one, if so how do i do this without f**king up whatever else is attached to it?

knowledgable advice would be much appreciated, thank you

have you taken out a spark plug and checked to see if that fires? its not always the dizzy......i wouldnt imagine the dizzy would just suddenly stop working....its more of a gradual thing....heres an L jet dizzy

it could be a mechanic thing ollie....i hate engine electrical crap....could be the ECU too? all your spark plug wires plugged in?

post-6-1105054558.jpg

Hi Ollie,

Its fairly easy to replace the dissy only a couple of things to watch.

-The 2 vacuum lines from the throttle body make sure you put them back on the right way these are for your vacuum advance/retard, I just put a bit of tape on 1 to mark it.

-BEFORE you pull out the old dissy turn the engine over by hand to tdc on #1 (there's timing marks on the crank balance) then when you put in the replacement dissy line the rotor up with the #1 lead on the cap

-Note the rotor will rotate as it lines up with the gear wheel that drives it so you need to allow for this otherwise you won't be able to set the timing, when you set your timing make sure the vacuum lines are off.

hope that helps

Matt

cheers for the help guys.

i retested to see if there was a spark and i got one so.. i removed all the plugs to see if i'd flooded it and they seemed fine, i replaced them anyway and tried again!

i believe its a fuel problem so i squirted some fuel into the manifold and tried again, still no progress!!

i am now left with an undiagnosed problem thats either electrical or fuel related and i don't know what to do except tow the bitch to ernst, or shall i slap in a new fuel pump and see how that goes?

i have all the parts you need . email retrah1@wave.co.nz

Ollie. You wont get fuel on the plugs if you have no spark. The computer doesn't fire the injectors until it gets a signal from the Dizzy (spark) once it gets signal it fires the injectors. You don't have a fuel problem so there is no need to change out the fuel pump.. Electronic Dizzy's can stop working without any warning. What you more and like have is a blown ignitor. The ignitor is basically an on/off switch (transistor - miniature relay) It acts the same and has the same function as a set of points.

thanks very much you're very helpful.

welcome to the site