Sign in to follow this  
lidistick

So much for a pre-purchase inspection.

Worth mentioning that as a group we regularly recommend them for service & pre-purhases.

I think a few people need to calm down a little to be honest. It almost sounds like there is going to be a Bimmersport lynch mob next.

The response from Jeff Grey is exactly what I wouldve expected, but if you get all upset and start threatening this that and the next thing you are unlikely to get anywhere.

Talk to them reasonably, get some evidence together and show them some photos and see where it gets you. If they still wont play ball then consider your options.

Until then put your guns away !

I've mailed the pictures of the rust to Jeff Gray and to BMW NZ.

I'm still fine-tuning my letter before I go off tomorrow to Taupo for some track action in the missus GTI. :D

Life's a bit like that and I'm ok to roll with the punches. No need for a lynch mod and I'm glad that Bimmersport is happy to support me.

Helmet check, racesuit check, brakes check. Pics to come after track day and more action via emails to follow ;)

I wonder if an ad on Trademe with the letters from JGBMW would do the trick :D

Mint BMW 530i touring- checked by BMW. Small amount of rust, RECENT. $25K ono. :P

I still feel that a purchase inspections is not going to exhonorate your responsibility as owner of the vehicle.

What if the vehicle snapped it's timing chain, or the head gasket blew, or the ECU failed or the pixles dialuted days, weeks, months later.

When does the pre-purchase inspection liability end, shame everyone missed the rust, I had something similar Coombes Johnson missed that my car needed a new UJ, ended up changing the whole rack 3 months later????

I ended up changing the rack.

I feel for you I do, but I wont join the chorus of BMW getting a bad reputation it was an inspector (probably and apprentice) in ChCh not BMW AG or anything come on guys think about it.

Oh no I agree with you. If it was a timing chain or something to do with wear and tear that wasn't there prior, then I'll take it on the chin. If I was driving on the road after picking up the car and a rock smashed the window, such is life.

Part of a Pre-purchase inspection is really not to tell me every little detail but to give me a fair enough idea about the condition of a car I cannot physically inspect (Car was in Chch and I'm in the Tron). They missed the rust; no biggie. Admit it and move on. Talk to me about sorting this out.

By saying that it happened within the 2 months and 'Tough, you're sh*t outta luck mate' just doesn't cut the mustard. Its not a broken window regulator that has been working fine for 2 months or a wiper that has suddenly gotten stuck nor a door lock actuator. I accept those things are wear and tear.

I was annoyed that I bought a car with rust that was cleared. One would think that BMW has some interest in maintaining good customer relations and service. The reason I paid for the BMW PPI was to ensure I didn't buy a lemon.

The way I see it, there's money coming out of my wallet whether I like it or not. It needs to get fixed and it will. We'll sort the who pays what how much later. Ideally, me paying nil but I'm a realist.

I still feel that a purchase inspections is not going to exhonorate your responsibility as owner of the vehicle.

What if the vehicle snapped it's timing chain, or the head gasket blew, or the ECU failed or the pixles dialuted days, weeks, months later.

When does the pre-purchase inspection liability end, shame everyone missed the rust, I had something similar Coombes Johnson missed that my car needed a new UJ, ended up changing the whole rack 3 months later????

I agree.

There is no way i would take anyones word on the condition of a car, doesn't matter who they are.

Wouldn't a return air ticket cost 'bout the same as the PPI? I would've gone and checked it out myself.

I agree.

There is no way i would take anyones word on the condition of a car, doesn't matter who they are.

Wouldn't a return air ticket cost 'bout the same as the PPI? I would've gone and checked it out myself.

Fine if like you & I & know what we are looking for.

For someone not savy with cars - they rely on someone who is to confirm it's status - good, bad or indifferent.

Marcus - bum deal

At least your radio & nav is good now though :D

Their first response was as expected.

While I don't think JG should be coming up with the rust repair, upon evidence that the rust isn't 2 months old , they should apologise and offer to refund the inspection fee.

I find customer service of JG in Wellington has worsened quite considerably. Someone told me that a number of Shelly BMW's old customers have been saying the same thing, and they've gone over to the other side of town. For my next car I'm seriously considering of not getting a BMW. A four-door coupe (NOT a 5-series GT) or a certain SUV Sport are more enticing.

In saying that, just last week the part guy from JG gave me a free small bottle of touch-up paint as the BMW one I bought somehow didn't match the paint correctly. The one that was mixed by the local panelbeater does.

Can I add with my coombes Johnson inspection as far as body and stone chips they mentioned nothing adverse didn't mention the stone ships and small dings and scraps etc, like they didn't even look at the body work, they are a workshop after all so they focus on the mechanicals and how everything should be when the car was new.

Maybe we need to encourage body inspections as well, hell who nows just as easy to look yourself I will from now on.

Still a bumber I know.

Can't see you getting recompense in any way shape or form even though I don't agree thats neccesarily right.

I had a similar issue with Jerry Clayton on the shore, however there was more than one problem. After a few phone calls and having the car re inspected, they agreed to fix a few of the problems free of charge. Which i was reasonably happy with.

My issues were found a few days later tho, after the car wouldnt start and needed a new camshaft and crank shaft sensor, i paid for these to be fixed. Should they have been picked up in the PPI? Hard to say.

Edited by Mobbin

The saga continues :

I know you have had this rust checked out by panel beaters and in there opinion the rust is not new, but please explain how a dealer can display this car for sale in this condition and secondly when did notice the rust, it is very obvious in the pictures now, there is no way we would of missed that, and you would of seen it as soon as the boot was first opened.

- Elliott Drayton, Service Manager Jeff Gray.

I've asked Jeff Gray to cough up the remainder 50% .

We'll see how this goes.

The saga continues :

- Elliott Drayton, Service Manager Jeff Gray.

I've asked Jeff Gray to cough up the remainder 50% .

We'll see how this goes.

He needs to learn better grammar too :P

Good luck, hope it all works out

Edited by zenetti

Know how you feel mate, We purchased our E60 site unseen as we didn’t have time to view it so had it sent to BMW to check out, they missed body damage that cost me $1,200 to repair but picked up two small dents that would have cost $200 to have removed by the dent Magician, they also said the sunroof was faulty but worked fine for the six months we had it and they also noted the front control arm bushes were gone so I booked it in privately to have them replaced only to have the guy call me and tell me that they had been done already.

Waist of $123.00, would send a car to Glenn for a honest (brutally) next time.

Just so I'm clear, did you buy the car from them or just get the check done there? If you didn't buy it there, then surely the selling dealer is up for this? Why not try and go half each from them? Cheap fix for both and good pr.

what ever happened to good customer service?

is it just a thing of the past now?

they missed the rust, which they should have picked up (and you paid good money for them to look at this sort of stuff)

even if they don't want to help pay for the repair they should be offering a refund on their "service" and not patronising you for not spotting the rust immediately

seems to be a typical kiwi attitude these days, blame everyone else and don't take any responsibility

I would say that I must be getting old, but geez I'm only 28, and even I know what word of mouth and good customer service means

I've taken car to an independent panel beater who recertifies wrecks.

Got a letter coming saying that rust is longer than 60 days by a long shot. :)

I'm also requesting the VINZ compliance certificate as they may have noticed rust then.

Mechanically tho, car drives like a champion, so I still have my stupid grin. ;)

Just so I'm clear, did you buy the car from them or just get the check done there? If you didn't buy it there, then surely the selling dealer is up for this? Why not try and go half each from them? Cheap fix for both and good pr.

Yes, dealer will come up with half.

BMW JG still denying any fault.

Ive had poor service when ive been to Jeff Grays here in Hastings too. Me and My dad were set to buy about $2000 worth of parts and the guy we delt with wasnt even interested. I explained that i was rebuilding An e30 engine for the race series and he just told us to buy a 2nd hand engine. We have never been back since

Other than good faith is there actually any guarantees given or implied by JG BMW?If so what

Lets not turn this into another bitch session about all other car dealers.

Stay on the topic at hand yeah.

Edited by westy

Mr Drayton replies after I've asked them again to put it right and I've scanned the letter from a panel beater certifying that the rust is older than 60 days.

Would you be kind enough to answer the two questions I put to you in an earlier email, when did you notice the rust yourself and would you expect the vehicle to be sold buy a dealer in this condition.

He is trying to weasel his way out of this and shove blame onto the car yard. Having dealt with Christchurch European, they have always been pleasant and prompt. I cannot say the same about Jeff Gray nor their service manager.