Sign in to follow this  
smokenbaby

M20 E30 Extractors

Hey guys. What company makes extractors for the M20 E30. Am going to do full system but need to find some extractors. A friend can make them out at MacBuilt in Tawa but will cost $600+

Are there any extractors available off the shelf in NZ. If so where and how much.

There's got to be a list of 15-20 people wanting E30 6cyl extractors now so jump on the list of those waiting for someone to get copies done of their extractors, the more on the list means the cheaper it gets for us and the bigger the profit/incentive for the copier :)

If some one in the wellington area is willing to make do with out theirs on their car for a couple of days I can get them copied. It is always much easier to make a set when you have some to look at instead of just making them up as you go. Make a jig and there is no reason why you couldn't make 3-4 sets a day as well as your normal work.

He could make them off this pic but we would then have to measure and scale up.

post-5-1106180146.jpg

Edited by smokenbaby

Dam! where are those from?

Yep im in the queue.... (or a standard exhaust manifold, if anyone has a cheap one?)

those look like mine......where would you get a place to copy extractors? and how much would they charge....if people were interested i might look into getting copies of mine made

if you were someone who could make them, and its true what someone said that you could wack out 4 a day, surely you could get them for like $300?

Why don't we start a serious list of people that are serious about buying a set of E30 M20 extractors, and by serious I mean people that can front up with money for a set, no tyre kickers

I'm dead serious

Tim I know is serious

Smoken baby is aswell

Im serious, but how serious depends on how much. $600 and my seriousness turns to :lol:

OK people.

Get serious, I bought a set , second hand, off trade me about 8 months ago.

The Guy selling them had no idea what they were, i dont think. The reserve was about $120.00.

I had to go to $615.00 to get them as there was stiff competition at the bidding.

These are second hand and in reasonable condition. Have talked about makeing a few sets sometime later this year. Dont have any pics of them, but are nicely made. No joins in tubes. Equal length. Believe they were made by Hartge.

No one can identify them positively yet.

So $600.00 is very cheap for new ones. I wouldn't be too keen to make for that sort of price.

My 2 c :mellow:

Watch out about importing them, Left hand drive ones dont go in.

Edited by Hartage

i dont know if 600 is cheap for extractors ian, ive got told by many exhaust shops that custom make, $100 per port, maybe u just paid too much for yours :lol:

Sparkle,

$100.00 per port is $600.00!!!!!!!!

Your point?

u sed that $100 per port/ $600 is cheap for new custom made headers, the way i read ur post is that for that price they could be cheap and nasty,

my point was that most exhaust shops that custom make headers have qouted me $100 per port/ $600. so it seems thats the norm.

whereas u have payd $615 for some 2nd hand ones. hence the maybe you paid too much.

u sed that $100 per port/ $600 is cheap for new custom made headers, the way i read ur post is that for that price they could be cheap and nasty,

my point was that most exhaust shops that custom make headers have qouted me $100 per port/ $600. so it seems thats the norm.

whereas u have payd $615 for some 2nd hand ones. hence the maybe you paid too much.

Sparkle, you really are an idiot, think about it.

Extractors designed and tuned specifically for M20 compared to a custom exhaust shop...no real comparison, custom shop extractors compared to Hartge, probably a $1400 difference :wacko:

Using a template such as the pic above would be far more attractive than a custom shop.

My budget allows for at least $800.

E: A $600 custom set is attractive, but how beneficial would it really be???

Smokenbaby, who designed those extractors in the pic???

Edited by ///Carl

First sorry for not posting earlier, been racing all weekend.

The set pictured are from an English web site. They are for a right hand drive car. The price quoted on their site was 400 pounds. That is $1200 + freight.

My friend Karl (works for MacBuilt in Tawa - MacLennen Automotive race car prep and build division) has said he will make me a set for $600. If he makes a jig while he is at it I am sure he will be able to produce them cheaper. He would need to have firm orders before he goes through the hassle and hard work of doing so.

I will be talking to him again later on this week so will bring the topic up with him again.

OK people.

Get serious, I bought a set , second hand, off trade me about 8 months ago.

The Guy selling them had no idea what they were, i dont think. The reserve was about $120.00.

I had to go to $615.00 to get them as there was stiff competition at the bidding.

These are second hand and in reasonable condition. Have talked about makeing a few sets sometime later this year. Dont have any pics of them, but are nicely made. No joins in tubes. Equal length. Believe they were made by Hartge.

No one can identify them positively yet.

So $600.00 is very cheap for new ones. I wouldn't be too keen to make for that sort of price.

My 2 c :mellow:

Watch out about importing them, Left hand drive ones dont go in.

I knew exactly what they were. Just remember I bought the entire car for $500, reserve price was set low - simply because I had already made my money back and there's no need to be greedy. If you wish I certainly can inflate my prices.....hows my motor anyway - another cheap buy for you.......hopefully the one I'm about buy from you is just as great....... ; )

Mark J

:rolleyes::lol: hahahaha

BTT: is there any progress on this? Confirmed costs. Nor interested right now, but have been following the thread hoping to find out for future mods.

Here is the low down, Can get them made for $600. That is the best price he will do them for. There is no discount for group buys as he said it still takes the same amount of time to make 1,2,3 sets. The manifold plates have to be profile cut and as this is an out source he can't get them cheaper. They will be designed so they join at the standard flanges just under the drivers seat.

Have also been talking to an ex BMW race car engineer about the performance gain expected out of a set of extractors and he said it is not worth wasting the time and money on them as the standard manifold flows the same on the flow bench and on the dyno it makes the same power as a set of extractor. I have decided to run a stardard manifold and either a single pipe (like 325GRANT has on his cars - as seen at megameet) or a twin 2" system under the axles and into a twin entry/twin exit muffler with DTM styled tips. I can build this for half the cost of the extractors.

I'll leave the decision of what you want to do up to you.

You can contact Karl Robinson via MacLennen Automotive and decuss getting some extractor made.

Hope this answers a few questions and gives you the info that you need. Up to you guys now.