Sign in to follow this  
MLM

ITB M42

Playing with the trumpets is a big no no, they're tuned from factory the way they are, loss of power and torque will be inevitable. But you already no this :)

If you do it properly, some quite good gains can be made. Longer runner = more power down low shorter runners = more power up high at the expense of bottom end power. Usefull for cars with more agressive cams, a higher flowing head etc.

If you go around buggering around with the plenium decreasing or increasing volumes and creating unbalanced zones in the plenium what you speak of will obviously happen.

Done.

post-3850-1312188665.jpg

pretty cool man, some pissing around on the dyno and trying different designs with your educated guesses im sure will yield good results.

At the end of the day, its gonna sound badass :)

Completed both halves today. Really pleased with the results. Slightly different resin and process has worked very well. The carbon is under 1mm thick with multiple layers and very stiff. Fantastic stuff.

The two halves ready to be joined

post-3850-1313914592.jpg

Halves offered up as they will be when joined

post-3850-1313914851.jpg

I have not done any finishing on these parts unlike my last attempt where I sanded an clearcoated them to get a finish half as good as these ones. As you see them I have only peeled off the release layer no polishing sanding or clear coats. The parts themselfs are void free and have consistant weave layout :)

Edited by MLM

How are you planning to join them? Resin kept in place with somr kind of tape or...?

How are you planning to join them? Resin kept in place with somr kind of tape or...?

I will join them with a glass layer on the inside with a tape boundary on the outside. If resin leaks its no biggie as it will get sanded and cleared anyway. The join will get hidden with a black resin line or airbrushed black stripe so its all be blends in.

Ok the plenum is finished!!

post-3850-1314337837.jpg

post-3850-1314337906.jpg

I am stoked with the result. Still a fair bit to go to finish the project but this is one part i didnt think i could create.

Next the runners and velocity stacks.

Cheers for all the good comments so far

Oh and here is one of my "inspiration"vids for the project.

looks good , now can you make one of those for my e28 m5 engine :D

post-279-1314349026.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

looks good , now can you make one of those for my e28 m5 engine :D

I second that motion.

mad props!!!

Made up the backing plate and locking and locating feature tonight so that the plenum can be mounted up.

post-3850-1315463679.jpg

The plenum locates on the bottom via locating pegs and holes and is cliped in place using stainles overcenter catch at the top . The catches fit into the recesses so the are protected and gives a cleaner look.

Top side (visable)

post-3850-1315463847.jpg

Bottom locating pegs (hidden when installed)

post-3850-1315463980.jpg

The reason for catches up top and pegs below is so that the plenum can be located easily first and supported by the lower pegs while the clips are done up. Also clips on the bottom would be nigh on impossible to latch up as it would be a blind assembly and hard to access.

Velocity stacks have been ordered and runner tube has yet to be sorted but progressing nicely again.

i see foam around the edge of that plate?

To seal the back plate to the carbon no doubt.

oooo nice. wonder how it would be under Forced induction. i see foam around the edge of that plate?

I would say the way this is going currently, it wouldn't be suitable for FI. At a guess, unless you can make the CF stiff enough you would need to incorporate a bolted flange betweent he CF and the backing plate, and this would need to be sealed with an o-ring or something similar.

However in an NA application this is looking awesome! I would be very interested to hear what it sounds like! I ended up dumping my turbo m42 project for an SR20, its not pure now, but it's done and been to the track already :)

To seal the back plate to the carbon no doubt.

Yep there is a perimeter foam seal to 1 seal the parts and 2 offer a little vibration insulation maybe..

I would say the way this is going currently, it wouldn't be suitable for FI. At a guess, unless you can make the CF stiff enough you would need to incorporate a bolted flange betweent he CF and the backing plate, and this would need to be sealed with an o-ring or something similar.

However in an NA application this is looking awesome! I would be very interested to hear what it sounds like! I ended up dumping my turbo m42 project for an SR20, its not pure now, but it's done and been to the track already :)

I wouldnt use this plenum for forced induction, not in its current design state at least. I think it would split along the join line though simply over building the plenum would overcome this I suspect the volume would be on the large side for FI. The backing plate would need to be integral or have hard mounts in the plenum and a controlled sealing face as you mention. If you just wanted the carbon look im sure you could wrap a cast plenum though.

Update time: So i havnt dropped of the face of the earth but have been waiting the delivery of the velocity stacks. Turns out that the delivery address had defaulted to Alabama USA not Auckland NZ :angry: But in comunications with the supplier who have tried there best to track and recover the package, I will have to re-order the stacks and wait a bit longer.

But while thats been happening I have been playing with another part of the engine: The sump.

After attending a Uncles night at Hampton as a spectator/ride scabber one of the cars in our group suffered oil surge and a blown motor which I dont want to happeen to me so Im looking into sump baffles. As always I have not done this before but have ideas from both talking to people and books etc so any sugestions are appreciated. Note its not finished.

post-3850-1319606471.jpg

Standard sump minus windage tray. Oil level and crank spin direction drawn along with where the oil wants to go in the sweeper

post-3850-1319606544.jpg

Baffles added in two locations. Trap doors will be fitted into these to allow oil flow to return to the pick up but not away

post-3850-1319606654.jpg

Tray added. Note no dipstick hole or additional support brackets yet. Bolts onto factory windage tray mounts on one side and sits 5-10mm above oil level. The lines are where I an undecided to add additional oil return slots or not

post-3850-1319606733.jpg

Windage tray in position but lacking louvers to catch the oil yet and bolt holes. Will sit 15mm from spinning assebly.

Let me know what you think or what you have seen/done before.

Spelling

Edited by MLM

Windage tray louvered up. Louvers sit very close to rotating assembly so is as much scraper as windage tray..

post-3850-1319868595.jpg

E30 M3 rubber trap oil control flaps on order

More carbon cos I cant leave the stuff alone.

post-3850-1319868746.jpg

Aluminium undertray to replace where a plastic part must have lived.

post-3850-1319868855.jpg

Excuse the phone photos :)

Love your work.

I'll be attempting an undertray/parts catcher at some stage. What thickness alloy did you use? and would you use that thickness if you were to do it again

Cheers James,

I think its 2 or 2.5mm will measure later if you want. Thickness is not to important as I put some stiffening form into it. If you look realy closely you can see what looks like a cross in in the panel. Basicaly put the sheet into a bender and give it a slight bend (2 or 3 degrees) across the diagonal then turn the sheet and do the same across the other diagonal. This realy stiffens the flat panel. Add a bent flange 10-15mm high upward across the rear engine edge and it wont flex at all. I added vertical struts to the chassis rail also to stop it pulling the bumper down at speed.

Can add photos af just the tray if your keen?

If it isn't too much trouble it'd be appreciated.

Now that you've mentioned it I can just see the bend

No Prob

Can confirm its 2mm ally. Here is a pic of just the tray with struts attached. Better view of the bends too.

post-3850-1320034441.jpg

Oil control flaps arrived today. These will provide oil flow control through the baffles in the sump.

post-3850-1320127208.jpg

FINALLY after a trip arround the world and back the velocity stacks arrived today:

post-3850-1321331609.jpg

Dave at Velocitystacksonline.com was fantastic on sorting out my order after the parts went astray. Very helpful and highly recomended.

An finally another pic for sh!ts and gigs

post-3850-1321331831.jpg