Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

E46 Retrofit multifunction steering wheel. (lots of pics)

I know Hybrid has already done a thread on this but i just wanted to do my own one as some of his pictures are missing now.

I am going to try and provide as many pics as possible just incase anybody else wants to do this.

I got my kit from Gavin at Euro Italian (part number 65 71 0 021 159) and his price (with the Bimmersport discount) is over a hundred dollars less than what the dealer is asking so a big thanks To Gavin for the great prices and professional service he offers.

Please note this retrofit is if you currently already have the 3 spoke steering wheel.

Ok the first set of pics, These are just the package turning up and what was contained within.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the type of steering wheel i currently have and will be retrofitting.

Posted Image

Before we start the retrofit we need to disconnect the battery, This is important or you could very well end up with the airbag light on and unless you have a scanner you would need to go in and get it cleared. Personally i would disconnect the battery if you are working on anything electrical, its just common sense.

Posted Image

First thing we need to do is remove the airbag. This is pretty easy as behind the steering wheel there are two hole's. Push a flat blade screwdriver in here pushing on the spring and you can just pop the airbag out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once you have the airbag out you will need to disconnect the two plugs that are connected to it, This is straight forward there are clips on them and they unclip and you pull them up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Unplug your existing airbag loom from the slip ring (notice there is another empty plug slot next to the airbag loom one, this is where your new plug from the mfl goes into) and using a 16mm socket remove the center steering wheel bolt.

Posted Image

Notice i marked the steering wheel so when it goes back on its aligned perfectly, There is a couple of locating lugs when putting it back on but the teeth are pretty fine on the spline so i wanted to make sure everything went back the way it was.

Posted Image

Now you can just pop off the steering wheel, Don't go giving it a yank as it will just slide off.

Remove the underside cover of the steering column this is held in place with two push pin style fasteners, I just used a fine philips screw driver and you push the center pin in, Then just pull slightly down on the cover and it will unclip.

Posted Image

Once you have it removed you can then start installing the loom that came with your mfl.

Unplug the green plug on your steering column, Slide the plug out from the casing and plug in the three wires as per indicated on the retrofit kit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now you can drop down the panel under the drivers side and remove the lcm unit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can unplug the lcm once you have it out by pressing down on the little nub and the top clip swings over it.

Route the rest of the loom (from the new 3 wires you plugged into the green plug) along the cable trunking and then as per the instructions that came with your kit cut and splice into the same colored wires as you have on your new loom into the cabling going into the lcm unit. Your kit should come with all the correct splicing connectors.

Posted Image

Now remove your glove box from the passenger side. Just a matter of undoing 6 screws and it will just drop down.

Posted Image

Then thread the single blue wire from the drivers side and your new loom (this is your cruise control wire) through behind all your heater and radio controls, I used a knitting needle and pushed it through from the glove box side then tapped the connector onto the end of it and pulled it through.

Posted Image

you then need to get this through to your dme, I found this part probably the hardest part of all.

First remove you dme cover under the hood.

Posted Image

then locate the rubber grommet where your glove box used to be down under the fuse box, I used the same knitting needle and used this to thread the blue wire through the rubber grommet into the dme and electrical box.

Posted Image

Once your have it threaded through go around to under the bonnet and fish the wire out from under the dme (this is not easy as the wires come out from right down the bottom of the box).

Once your have the wire out unplug the plug as per indicated in the pic and slide out the correct plug and plug your blue wire into the pin indicated as per the kits instructions.

Posted Image

Now you can put the top back on the dme unit and put back your glove box and cover under the steering wheel and cover under drivers side and plug back in your lcm.

Now all you have to do is swap over the non button section on your steering wheel with the new buttons one.

On my wheel this was pretty easy, you have to remove the from 2 section's these come out in one piece.

Unscrew two on the front side. This can all be done with the steering wheel off the car.

Posted Image

Then i had 2 to remove from the back side.

Posted Image

Then the whole lot just pulled off, The flip it over and remove the other 2 screws.

Posted Image

Then you can swap out for the new button section.

Then its just a matter of putting everything back on in reverse put your steering wheel back on and plug in the new small connector from your buttons to the other plug on your slip ring next to your air bag plug.

Don't forget to put the main steering wheel bolt back in :rolleyes: , Put airbag back in (make sure all plugs are in the back and connected to the slip ring).

You should end up looking like this.

Posted Image

Then just a matter of connecting your battery and you should be good to go.

I had no problems from the word go and everything worked as should. Volume, Track change, and cruise control all worked and the buttons all lighted up when the lights were turned on.

Is this retrofit worth it ??. Hell yes i love it :P

I would rate this about a 4 out of 10 on a skill level basis of doing and would take you around 2 hours to do if doing it for the first time.

Question's all ways welcome.

Edited by M-Spec

nice :) .. looking forward to seeing it up and running.

Cool - look forward to the rest.

Does this give you cruise control as well or just the buttons?

What else is needed for cruise control if not included.

Alan

First post now updated with all the instructions and the retrofit all done. :D

Yes there are alot of pics but i always find pics helpful if doing something.

Edited by M-Spec

Looks fantastic Jason. If thats all you paid in the invoice then I think it is a bloody cheap upgrade!

Nice write up and great result!

Good on you Jason & great write up. Well done!

You be up for nav retrofit next ;)

Good on you Jason & great write up. Well done!

You be up for nav retrofit next ;)

I have something else planned :ph34r:

Hi Jason, great post. Just completed my retrofit and all went well...almost. The stage you describe as the hardest, getting the blue 'cruise control' wire thru to the DME by way of the rubber grommet hole, was not happening in my case! I could not even get a normal needle thru that hole let alone a knitting needle!! However the friendly guys at BM Workshop made life easy by suggesting shining a torch into the DME box and then looking for the light coming thru. There is an airvent in the DME box and it comes out right beside the rubber grommet! So easy to feed thru the cable!!

Thanks for yor post.. a great help

Russell

Edited by rusty

Hi Jason, great post. Just completed my retrofit and all went well...almost. The stage you describe as the hardest, getting the blue 'cruise control' wire thru to the DME by way of the rubber grommet hole, was not happening in my case! I could not even get a normal needle thru that hole let alone a knitting needle!! However the friendly guys at BM Workshop made life easy by suggesting shining a torch into the DME box and then looking for the light coming thru. There is an airvent in the DME box and it comes out right beside the rubber grommet! So easy to feed thru the cable!!

Thanks for yor post.. a great help

Russell

Thanks for the tip Rusty will make it easier for other people. Now do what I did dump the whole steering wheel and upgrade to the mtech wheel :D

>>mtech wheel<<

Edited by M-Spec

Just a note on this,

if you have the N46 Engine that my 2004 318Ti Compact does then your connection to DME for the cruise control will be different

Look at these instructions http://thegannet.bulldoghome.com/CCInstructions.pdf which includes the N46 engine.

Your DME will have two connector blocks, take off the smaller one and remove the BLACK 26 pin connector from the block.

You need to attach the Cruise control cable to PIN 4, there will possibly already be a Blue/white cable in pin 4, simply remove this and insert your cable.

THEN WHAMMY ITS ALL WORKING!

Just completed this DIY and the wife is very happy!

post-4531-1314486234.jpg

post-4531-1314486250.jpg

• Like 1

if you have the N46 Engine that my 2004 318Ti Compact does then your connection to DME for the cruise control will be different

Look at these instructions http://thegannet.bulldoghome.com/CCInstructions.pdf which includes the N46 engine.      plaese help me i have 2002 318Ti Compact the cruise control not working i did all i can but not working  can you send me the wiring to do

3 hours ago, hassan alhaddar said:

Look at these instructions http://thegannet.bulldoghome.com/CCInstructions.pdf which includes the N46 engine.      plaese help me i have 2002 318Ti Compact the cruise control not working i did all i can but not working  can you send me the wiring to do

google is your freiend :)

https://www.car-auto-repair.com/bmw-multi-function-steering-wheel-cruise-control-retrofit-guide/