Sign in to follow this  
dubman

e30 tweeters

Tweeter mounting  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Car's off to the painters for the week, so started workin on tweeters. I'm not pointing the tweeters at the seating positions, because i heard that this causes "harshness" when music's playing. Is this the case?

Also, which tweeter would you pick?

Tweeter 1 post-5113-1279171987.jpg

Tweeter 2 post-5113-1279171992.jpg

Held by blu tak atm :)

Edited by dubman

#1 dude-lks nice & factory

What brand are they-my stock ones are fkg average lol

Edited by 1rotty

Tweeter 1

Or you could try and source some actual e30 tweeter pods. Looks much cleaner imo.

im going no.1

@ 1rotty/Mark: they are Clarion, came in a 5.25' component package

@ _BRS_/Blair: cant afford them :), especially ~$100 a pair from recent TM auctions

They'll look good mate-direct them slighty up(ear height)

They'll look good mate-direct them slighty up(ear height)

Thats the factory pod aim IIRC? These swivel around in their casing, so can adjust direction. Cheers for the input so far guys, much appreciated.

id say 2, soley for that mean overlap going on. that looks awesome

1 definitely

Figure out where the tweeters go last. get the rest of the system sorted and then try the tweeters in a variety of positions using blutack to hold them in place. Get Michael Jackson Thriller and listen to where the footsteps are - he should walk across your dash.

Every tweeter has different on / off axis response so try them and see where they sound best to you. Also try inverting the phase of both tweeters (ie wire the negative tweeter wire to the positive crossover terminal and vice versa) to see what effect this has on the apparent height of your sound stage.

what i am going to do is build tweeter pods into my front vents on the dash. either on the side vents or the center vent. not too sure yet.. some food for thought.

Get Michael Jackson Thriller and listen to where the footsteps are - he should walk across your dash.

Every tweeter has different on / off axis response so try them and see where they sound best to you

THANKS! yea, all the speakers already in the stock positions, just need to wire it using supplied wiring. Upgraded fronts only, left the rear Aiwa 2 way/coaxials as it is. Awesome idea of using Thriller. Cheers Rogan.

what i am going to do is build tweeter pods into my front vents on the dash. either on the side vents or the center vent. not too sure yet.. some food for thought.

I thought about installing them into vents, but too much work at this stage. You can also put tweeters into where the manual window handle goes, but you need electric windows and change your door cards into manual ones.

You don't really want to put the tweeters into the vents or where the door winders are. Good idea is to minimise the path length difference between the tweeters and the listener, so in a nutshell put them as far away as possible (I'm not going to get into reflections cos it'll complicated things)

If you've got time, have a read of this (page 7 onwards):

http://hybrid-audio.com/downloads/Hybrid%2...rs%20Manual.pdf

It's an indepth, but not too hard to read, analysis of speaker positioning. Focusses on the HAT L3 but is applicable to all speakers.