Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

E30 Series Race Car

So cranked motor over today and got no response. Sorted a few wiring issues and got starter going. Compression sounds sweet so motor I think is good. But sounds as if it has no spark....

So I pulled a plug and lead out and cranked and I saw a spark but once in its as if theres nothing. Unplugged coil and no difference. =/

Fuel Pump is priming so its not fuel. And Plugs are wet when I pull them out so I know I have fuel.

So I think it might be bad plugs....

Any Ideas?

post-5250-1316510681.jpg

This photo is a few hours old now so ignore the vacant battery box...

post-5250-1316510708.jpg

Plugs wet - it's flooded! Can't I see it sitting in a workshop?

Plugs wet - it's flooded! Can't I see it sitting in a workshop?

Not that wet haha. And dizzy is on properly. Lovich did it for me.

Jack, If they look wet - it is probably flooded. Why can't they determine what is wrong?

Jack, If they look wet - it is probably flooded. Why can't they determine what is wrong?

John was in a rush to go home and Jim was long gone. Will head in tomorrow morning before work and see what Jimmy thinks.

But will try tomorrow as fuel will have evaporated ae?

Edited by Young Jack

May have but not necessarily evaporated. Best pull them out & dry them.

Has it been fired up? If not - did you crank it with plugs in & spark disconnected to build up oil pressure?

If so - it will have dumped fuel in - unless fuel was disabled too

May have but not necessarily evaporated. Best pull them out & dry them.

Has it been fired up? If not - did you crank it with plugs in & spark disconnected to build up oil pressure?

If so - it will have dumped fuel in - unless fuel was disabled too

Yea we cranked it over with no plugs to prime it

Best then remove the plugs & dry them, recheck.

If it has compression, timing, spark, air & fuel... it will go

Best then remove the plugs & dry them, recheck.

If it has compression, timing, spark, air & fuel... it will go

Compression Tick Can hear it when i turn it over. Timing god knows. spark. Looks like it. Air, lots of it, Fuel same as air..

fuel lines around the wrong way??

Checked that and they're sweet

Pretty easy to check if the timing is 180 degrees out - whip the rocker cover off to check when at TDC it is on the ignition stroke (both valves should be shut on no 1) then take the cover off the dizzy and see where the rotor arm is pointing.

If timing is in the right ball park then it should cough and splutter a bit when cranking even if its not spot on, get someone to swing the dizzy while you crank it to get it to fire - then a timing strobe to set it spot on. Job done!

Thanks John. Timing was off, dizzy is a bit stuffed so new one in tomorrow along with starter motor but she started and went well tonight. BIG THANKS TO JOHN LOVICH, PETER AND GRAHAM BALL.

We got the sucker running and have a lot to do before Saturday but it looks like it'll last more than 2 laps. Feels so good driving with a short shifter and motor with more than 5bhp. =D

BRING ON THE ICEBREAKER

Also thanks to whoever made my username blue =) Means a lot!!

post-5250-1316600907.jpg

Edited by Young Jack

So.... was one of the five possibilities. Great to hear its going.

Not much time to run it in though before the weekend

So.... was one of the five possibilities. Great to hear its going.

Not much time to run it in though before the weekend

Warrant booked for Friday then a hell of a lot of drives to Hampton and back.

Warrant booked for Friday then a hell of a lot of drives to Hampton and back.

Sounds like me at the start of last season - I spent the practice day of the first meeting driving up and down the motorway to run the engine in (or trying to as it kept overheating).

Good news that the engine is running and you have a live car, you are cutting it very fine though!

If you're not 100% happy with how it's running, think long and hard about giving it a miss this time round Jack. I know you REALLY don't want to (look at me last year) but sometimes it is better to miss one round than stuff another engine which puts you out for months. No-one will knock you for making a sensible choice (ok, so actually some people will - but most would respect you for making a wise decision) which will be in your favour in the long run.

Sounds like me at the start of last season - I spent the practice day of the first meeting driving up and down the motorway to run the engine in (or trying to as it kept overheating).

Good news that the engine is running and you have a live car, you are cutting it very fine though!

If you're not 100% happy with how it's running, think long and hard about giving it a miss this time round Jack. I know you REALLY don't want to (look at me last year) but sometimes it is better to miss one round than stuff another engine which puts you out for months. No-one will knock you for making a sensible choice (ok, so actually some people will - but most would respect you for making a wise decision) which will be in your favour in the long run.

Yea, its not a brand new motor is it an ex motor I just rebuild the head etc in it. Not over heating or anything yet, and oil pressure is mint. Just gotta tidy things up for this weekend. Unlike last season where it was old garden motor going in etc.

Ahh, ok, that's not so bad then, won't need as much running in if you haven't touched the bottom end and the rings. A good run down the motorway, followed by some twisties with lots of hard acceleration will tell you if there are any potential gremlins.

I hope it all hangs together for you and you get your first three race finishes under your belt this week-end.

Yea, its not a brand new motor is it an ex motor I just rebuild the head etc in it. Not over heating or anything yet, and oil pressure is mint. Just gotta tidy things up for this weekend. Unlike last season where it was old garden motor going in etc.

Ahhh so... a Dulux recon then aye :P

Massive thanks for the Balls for helping me so much tonight. Car is machanically ready. Just need to find my dam plates and get it its WOF and Im ready.

See you all at the track!

WOF Passed. Reg Done. Car cleaned. No graphics but I can't wait to finish a race!!

yeah done good today Jack . You didnt bend it and you finished .

yeah done good today Jack . You didnt bend it and you finished .

Thanks Rich!

Whata great day! I'm happy!

post-5250-1316857042.jpg

Good work! Did what I never quite managed lol.

Good effort.. have fun starting off grid position 4 this morning on the reverse grid :)