Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

56 minutes ago, NZ300E said:

The mini........ Started life as a 1963 mk1 bog standard 850.

i love nostalgia and the cars I build, I want to invoke the feel, and smell of what it was like. I can't afford the real thing, so I make it. I happened to come across a car that had already had the body resto done and painted the right colour still on its original rego for a couple of grand. The mini is now an exact tribute car to the mk1 cooper bmc "works" rally car of 1963. It has taken 3 years and a lot of searching, but everything on that car is period correct and from the 60s both interior and exterior. It now has a 1275 engine and is heaps of fun. It's a keeper and will be my daughters in time (she's 4). Same with the e30, again all period correct parts to "relive" another time.

maybe they'll be worth something one day, maybe not....I don't care. It all about how it makes you feel. And the point being for anyone out there, is that you don't have to have a lot of cash to create something special, just pick the car you love from the past and recreate it. 

Cheers

That's awesome Craig. If you have the time and inclination perhaps you could start a Mini thread in the 'Other European Cars' section of this site? I'm pretty damn sure there's a lot of people around here that would love to see and hear more about it. Very, very fine effort I must say.

• Like 1

Just flashed MHD Stage 1 tune on my BMW 335i and took it for a test drive.

That was fun. Feels like the car has a bigger engine, much more kick :D

Shadow lined the window trim. Managed to get it all off without bending or breaking, whew !!! Painted mirrors zinno. Then m3'd the dash.(painted needles, added m badge above the check light) Then added speaker pods and wired them up.....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by NZ300E
  • Like 4

Fixed the electro-mechanical mechanism for my soft-top - it's taken me about 2 years to source the parts from various wreckers overseas needed to repair it.  Now it goes up and down at the press of a button, just in time for summer!

Edited by jonoe30

Retro fitted premium speakers, and acquired NOS seat badges from Germany.

DSC_0584.JPG

DSC_0583.JPG

DSC_0582.JPG

DSC_0580.JPG

• Like 1

Replaced the arm rest on the E39 with a leather non-phone type. Thanks Zebra - only $10!

Been stripping more bits off the white E30 coupe - project E30 may have resurfaced. No-one came forward with folding to buy the two cars, so I'm heading down the rabbit hole again.

I did buy a cordless strimmer. Fa-a-a-antastic. So easy to use and with a 3A battery, the battery lasts long enough to charge the battery I'm not using. :D

Got three chickens, too. :thumbs-up:

I managed to do some things! First off is I hardwired my V1 into my Ti :D No more draining of the battery due to non switched cigarette lighter adapter! Will get some photos and post up a how to guide tomorrow on how I did it all!

Also managed to make my headlights a little more french! Tested them out tonight and the high beams being yellow help with fog along with allowing for a lower contrast so its easier on the eyes to make out whats in the shadows more, also I personally think it just looks cool!

yhBQpiH.jpg

lYlHuyK.jpg

Also the ever practical Ti came in handy today picking up my new getrag 220 gearbox that will eventually be making its way in, so no more popping out of third gear for me!

BwMXrpg.jpg

xCa25eF.jpg

23 hours ago, RedRocketTi said:

I managed to do some things! First off is I hardwired my V1 into my Ti :D No more draining of the battery due to non switched cigarette lighter adapter! Will get some photos and post up a how to guide tomorrow on how I did it all!

Also managed to make my headlights a little more french! Tested them out tonight and the high beams being yellow help with fog along with allowing for a lower contrast so its easier on the eyes to make out whats in the shadows more, also I personally think it just looks cool!

yhBQpiH.jpg

Also the ever practical Ti came in handy today picking up my new getrag 220 gearbox that will eventually be making its way in, so no more popping out of third gear for me!

Welcome to the club! I did mine with vinyl a while back and agree they look mint, actually goes pretty well with the red I reckon.

Picked up some RD2's for my E39 for an absolute steal. Practically new Firestone TZ700 tyres to boot.

Curbing isn't as bad as I initially thought, mainly paint rubbed off rather than rim damage.

IMG_5365.JPG

Wired up the trailer plug on the M5, just have to rewire the trailer now to have seperate left/right tail light circuits, then put a 50mm coupling on my trailer.

Re-installed the parcel tray and top half of the rear seat in the white E30. Feels like progress! Still a fair bit of welding to do on the inner arch and the sills, but getting there slowly.

Can't wait to get it on the road in time for summer hopefully!

On 11/24/2016 at 11:21 PM, RedRocketTi said:

I'd suggest that if you're in fog and using your high beams, you're doing it wrong!  Next time you're in genuinely dense fog, you may find that *just* using your fog lights (and of course the side lights) may increase your vision, due to the low angles.  Using high beam usually cuts your vision, with more light reflected back at you.

Or did I misunderstand your post?

cheers

I've mostly been just driving mine.  It really needs a good clean.  

Today I ordered a DISA valve repair kit. It's down on torque, and I'm hearing a rattle... hopefully this'll improve things.  Failing that it could be VANOS seals and rattle?  Could be time for another service appointment.  

Oil and filter next weekend.  Nearly 173k kms now.

Edited by Olaf

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

I'd suggest that if you're in fog and using your high beams, you're doing it wrong!  Next time you're in genuinely dense fog, you may find that *just* using your fog lights (and of course the side lights) may increase your vision, due to the low angles.  Using high beam usually cuts your vision, with more light reflected back at you.

Or did I misunderstand your post?

cheers

Yes I understand using low beams or just even fog lights to get underneath the fog, I was just using it as a slight example to show how the lowered contrast meant that it was still easy to see :) I am still loving the look and tbh dont use the high beams all too much.

• Like 1

Both front guards back on, dash back in. Starting to look like a car again. Just two patches to weld in the floor, and repair all four jacking points on the sills, and find a right rear door then we'll be on the road again!

On 12/4/2016 at 8:17 PM, RedRocketTi said:

Yes I understand using low beams or just even fog lights to get underneath the fog, I was just using it as a slight example to show how the lowered contrast meant that it was still easy to see :) I am still loving the look and tbh dont use the high beams all too much.

thanks for helping me understand.  indeed, yellow certainly helps with contrast in low light.  Those Frenchies are clever sods, having done this for so long!  

Not the BMW, but two days ago fitted the new plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm to the 500SE. This seems to have fixed the misfire issue - the dizzy cap appears to have been the culprit as no matter what I did (new plugs, leads) no.6 was showing corrosion on the spark plug pin where it contacts the lead.

Then yesterday I finally fitted the new exhaust rubber hangar. Looks like someone has had problems with the exhaust in the past as it appears to have been welded, and is now nearly a half-inch longer than it used to be. Which means the exhaust rubbers no longer line up correctly, are under additional strain (have you felt the weight of a Mercedes V8 exhaust? :o) and are likely to break more often than is at all necessary. :dodgy:  I am so looking forward to dropping the exhaust system to fix someone else's mess.

I took pictures of my dads 2002, not my bmw but kinda close...IMG_9721.jpgIMG_9766.jpgmk2.jpg

• Like 3

Floor welded, seam sealed, painted and sound deadening foam back in. AC/Radio panel re-assembled. Sill on one side welded, painted, seam sealed ready for topcoat. Other side ready for welding tomorrow.

It's starting to look like a car again and I'm feeling good about getting it on the road, and comfortable knowing exactly how each bit of rust has been treated :D (lots of new steel instead of bog/seam sealer etc)

On 27/10/2016 at 6:18 PM, M3AN said:

^ Also need more pics and details of the Mini please!

As promised here's the mini.my version of a 1963 mk 1 rally works car. Take no notice of passenger seat it is there until restall seat arrives from England. 

DSC_0659.JPG

DSC_0658.JPG

DSC_0657.JPG

DSC_0656.JPG

DSC_0655.JPG

DSC_0654.JPG

DSC_0653.JPG

DSC_0652.JPG

DSC_0651.JPG

DSC_0650.JPG

DSC_0648.JPG

image.jpeg.52d776f11415c374219d1bcdd561e87b.jpeg

Edited by NZ300E
  • Like 4

Dude, that is so cool! Leather straps and all... :D

Looks fun, but must be scary at night with such inadequate lighting!

• Like 1

Yes scary.........for those approaching me. 

• Like 1

The 328 has been off the road for a few weeks because the damn alarm remote f'd out and unless I wanted to do LED + Ignition gymnastics I couldn't disable the immobiliser. Reprogramming with the old or a new Trademe remote didn't want to work... until today that is.

On previous attempts I'd had the bonnet open so I could disable the siren with the key. It seems that this was enough to prevent the alarm going into programming mode. Weighing down the bonnet switch was enough. Couldn't programme the original remote but the Trademe one works a treat. Original in bin and second TM one ordered.

Although I must admit I've been enjoying driving the M3...