Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Did something different. All 210mm of LSD goodness.

47789D72-C799-4FA6-9734-8D1A5C49A870.thumb.jpeg.b674b8328816bc3a4cf9d274a63e5c7c.jpeg

1F421F1D-F446-4C81-9BCF-799338534F54.thumb.jpeg.beb00d9f14e79a3b01136d774ff7c683.jpeg

Washed and hoovered the 318Ci, cleaned the glass... And showed a father and son around it. They liked it, took it for a test drive and will be in touch tomorrow.

Did the same for the 318i and took some pics. Not shown that to anyone, though.

Swapped a 4th engine harness into my M30 (E30) and got the engine to fire up and die a couple times! Such a relief, now need to figure out why it won’t idle.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 9:00 PM, qube said:

FKYEHH!!! oh man i miss the M30 sound.. the big six is so good

Feel free to drop by for some open header goodness

E36 being showered with gifts; this arrived today, not as bad as expected being a FG rep.

IMG_8335.thumb.jpg.e470b2f3311e8b1c1711d3490f0dcc94.jpgIMG_8334.thumb.jpg.cad9431800685d4fd44757f19c02eb45.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucan said:

E36 being showered with gifts; this arrived today, not as bad as expected being a FG rep.

Nice, is that from Hamilton?

Very interested to hear your impressions.

Waved 'bye-bye' to the 318Ci...  

• Like 4

Replaced the drivers door window regulator in the E36 318i.

What a palaver. FFS BMW - did you run out of fixings when doing this? 4 rivets, a torx head bolt, a hex head bolt, a crosshead screwdriver bolt... Too much to ask for any sort of standardisation?

The old regulator was bent, twisted, and not running in the window channels  at all - once I'd got all the fixings out of the way, it came straight out of the door, with no need to detach from from the window at all. I'd straightened the arms before but obviously not well enough.

Pics of the old, and the replacement which will go back in. I'll replace the plastic sliders before refitting.

Time to polish up on my riveting skills. :)

20180831_124546r.thumb.jpg.f5989d99bb770c59b5c49ff82095d029.jpg

20180831_124602r.thumb.jpg.31c53dd403592ec6691d837dd8e05807.jpg

Don't use rivets. Use short 6mm bolts

47 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Don't use rivets. Use short 6mm bolts

I would prefer to, but can't see how I'm going to get to the back of two of them.

47 minutes ago, gjm said:

I would prefer to, but can't see how I'm going to get to the back of two of them.

We did it all the time...theres room for your hand

46 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

We did it all the time...theres room for your hand

Could be.
Rain stopped 'play'... But I'm having all sorts of problems getting the holes to line up. They're a hole width out at present.
I'm using new nylon sliding blocks but finding they are stiff to turn on the regulator arm knobs - is that usual?

You're doing it the wrong way Graham

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gjm said:

Could be.
Rain stopped 'play'... But I'm having all sorts of problems getting the holes to line up. They're a hole width out at present.
I'm using new nylon sliding blocks but finding they are stiff to turn on the regulator arm knobs - is that usual?

Are you trying to install the regulator with the sliders on it?

Grease sliders and install in rail, install regulator, clip sliders to regulator, profit.

2 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

You're doing it the wrong way Graham

Yup - see below...

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Are you trying to install the regulator with the sliders on it?

Grease sliders and install in rail, install regulator, clip sliders to regulator, profit.

Worked that out in the end!

Still got to check it all out. Something is rubbing/catching. Haven't connected the lectrickery to the motor, but manual raising and lowering doesn't feel right.

And... I worked out a way to get my huge hands into a position where I could nut'n'bolt the regulator into place.

After 3days of trying, finally got my key re coded to the car (E46) after replacing buttons in the key fob. It just would not register for some reason, then tonight, boom! central locking is back.

Drove with the top down to work this morning which was fun. Wasn't planning on going in but hey... Also finally got eSys, Ista-D and Ista-P to connect with my car (Macbook Pro, VMware and USB-C to everything dongles are no fun. Total PITA to set up and ISTA is hugo). Hope to get some coding done this weekend. Also found an F12 640i at a salvage yard online which I am going to check out for some bits (kafas camera retrofit planned).

1 hour ago, hugo_nz said:

Also found an F12 640i at a salvage yard online

You're not alone :D 

1 hour ago, Drea//Mer said:

Fun times with e36 door locks.

Naah... Fun is when the drivers door is deadlocked, and won't open from the inside or outside and you have to dismantle the whole thing from inside the car!

E53 got engine, diffs, gearbox and transcase oils this morning 

Some new filters thrown around here and there 

Nothing to fix on it yet. Might break one day. 

Cleared all the stored goods from the back and installed my rear seats in the E30! First time seats have been in there for year!

Fresh oil fill and mounted radiator in front of the M30 (barely clears) 

New trans cross member and gbox mounts bolted up.

Realised my newly acquired g240 shifter linkage is the same length as my old g260 gear? Need to shorten ASAP so I can bolt up driveshaft!

This spans a couple of weeks of snatching an hour here and there, but replaced the heater return pipes under the intake manifold on @Allanw old 525i. The top one had actually snapped but hadn't quite begun to leak, as usual they disintegrated upon being interfered with as did the CCV Also replaced throttle body gasket, intake elbows, the whole CCV system, intake manifold gasket, dipstick o-rings, air distribution piece o-rings and a few other bits while I was there. Re/installed a mix of new and the original splash/underbody shielding. Installed a new valve cover, thanks to @Gabe79 for that one. New BMW coolant in the 525i and new oil in the 530i, might get around to changing the 525i oil tonight. No more leaks which is a good change, the 525i was dripping oil from nearly everywhere.

Got to about 5.30pm today and not much was happening so I thought "Sod it I'll give it a go..." and swapped the steering wheels between them. They are both the later dual stage type, the 525i left the factory with the flatter triangular shaped airbag type (who's shape and feel I don't fancy) and the 530i came equipped with what the internet likes to call "E46 M3 style" type, which differs in that the wheel grip is thicker and the diameter is smaller, plus it just looks a bit sharper with the round airbag. Not to be confused with the "sport type" which has a larger diameter and often has no thumb grips and sometimes a split in the bottom trim piece. The swap was fairly straightforwards- fighting that 16mm nut in the center of the shaft without a helper was challenging- and took longer to Google the ins and outs than to actually complete. Once installed there were no issues, perfect plug and play swap. Will go for a hoon later and see how it changes the car.

Took a bit of time to troubleshoot some rough running/no idle issue on the 525i, turns out the intake manifold gasket won't always stay put when reinstalling the intake manifold, wasn't an issue when I did the same jobs on the 530i but there you go... I suspect some of the rough running may have been caused by residual carb cleaner in the ICV too. A loud tick also reared it's head somewhere in the valvetrain that 100km of driving cured. Just about BMW'd out, the clutch in the 525i is just fine so that can wait for another weekend.

• Like 4

Couldn't make the meet today due to last minute commitments. I did manage to code my car this evening:

• Media, phone and turn signals in HUD
  • Lower screen in the cluster now has a grey theme
  • Backlight on cluster now always white
  • Voice language changed from UK to US
  • Acoustic lock/unlock
  • Folding mirrors with lock/unlock

Still a couple of things I want to try out. On my E64 I coded the roof to open and close with key fob...hopefully I can get the done on my F12 too ?