Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Provident at the moment.  They're OK I was just trying to get a sharper price.

3 hours ago, GorGasm said:

I had a 90 minute conversation with State about insurance, asking questions like "how much experience have you had with high power cars".  I had to kindly explain to the lady that the Maserati is a 4.7L V8 and my last cars were a 5.0L V10 and a 5.5L Supercharged V8 and that supercharging could be considered the same as turbocharging for insurance purposes and that both were more powerful than the Maserati.  She was obviously just parroting the information on to the underwriter on the other line.  It would have been much more efficient to just conference the underwriter in.

They eventually did offer insurance, but they wanted $2400 a year and had silly exclusions like no glass cover and no other drivers.  I stuck with my current provider.  If I went and bought a nearly new Alfa Giulia worth 10k more the premiums would be about $1000.  Such a messed up business.

State suck and make everything a mission. Long bloody phone calls for everything, they don't do anything via email... 

Try Trademe Insurance and Star Insurance.

I had my previous 135i with Classic cover, you get to specify the yearly mileage which can bring the premiums down. I had mine at 15 000km a year for less than $400 a year for full cover, as above they were always brilliant to deal with every time.

2 hours ago, Navin said:

I had my previous 135i with Classic cover, you get to specify the yearly mileage which can bring the premiums down. I had mine at 15 000km a year for less than $400 a year for full cover, as above they were always brilliant to deal with every time.

Just be fully aware of having ZERO cover if your vehicle is at home but not in the garage. On the drive at home = no cover, on the side of the street by home = no cover. Was really keen to use these guys until I read (and verified on the phone) this aspect of their policies.  ?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Just be fully aware of having ZERO cover if your vehicle is at home but not in the garage. On the drive at home = no cover, on the side of the street by home = no cover. Was really keen to use these guys until I read (and verified on the phone) this aspect of their policies.  ?  

Yup was fully aware, although I clarified with them about carport and it was fine. Needed the cover for when I was actually driving the car on the road and I had zero issues when it came to making a claim. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

They're a niche insurer, not your average insurer for your daily driver. If your car isn't your baby and garaged, Classic Cover probably isnt for you. If you're street parking your Maserati, you're braver than I.

Its also not a ZERO cover, its a "may not be" covered if it isnt "suitably garaged and secured".

I've still got the M3 with Swann under a "not a daily driver" policy... did I hear recently they're no longer offering this product? Or is that something anyone has checked out recently?

More stuffing around...

Wife’s 116d lit up the dash like a Christmas tree, turned out the PDC control unit was sitting in its paddly pool in the boot. 
Water seems to have been coming in around the vent behind the bumper but changed the gaskets behind the rear lights as well just to be sure.

Once there is enough water in the boot it then splashed up around the recess where the module sits, and soaks the module which is not fully sealed.

Fingers crossed this will stop the water coming in and then I can try plugging the module back in (now it’s dried out) to see if anything has been fried.

Hose turned up from the UK for the 330d charge pipe so put that all together and back into the car, fired her up and all seems to be good there now. Can chuck all the plastic covers and stuff back on around the engine and off for a WoF soon.

Hopefully once those two dramas are out of the way I should be able to divert my attention back to the race car..

I think I should have been a juggler as I’ve got so many balls up in the air!

Got a quote from Classic Cover over email for less than half what I am currently paying.  Will certainly pursue but will be sure to read the fine print.

I'll occasionally drive the Maserati and park it on the street for work, and it goes to the shops and the like, but the majority of the time it will be in the garage at home.

• Like 2

Looks awesome on those wheels! Narrowbody E92's really seem to suit the M3 offset wheels, that 330d on TM on CSL's looks great as well.

• Like 1

19" csl wheels would be absolutely fantastic for sure.

Really like these 18" wheels though, much more so than the more common 19" E9x M3 wheels with the machined face and flat face.

Unfortunately these wheels will be donated to the newly picked up E61 and this car will go back on the style 193's

Found a forestry road in the middle of nowhere and enjoyed it ;)

120275068_10157172727482693_3728763378601718142_o.jpg

• Like 6

Wasn't today, but over the last few days and weeks...

116d was all good when I plugged the PDC control unit back in after drying it out, so that was a relief. Was fully expecting the circuits to be fried / damaged after being submerged for awhile but clearly more resilient than I thought. So that was car number one ticked off the list, wife happy again.

330d all back together again, a couple of test drives around the block and all good - goes a lot better without the big split in the charge pipe (not surprising really). Put it in for the warrant and it failed on a couple of things - one of the headlight bulbs was mis-aligned and one of the tyres had a bulge in it, probably from sitting too long on the drive.

Fixed the headlight bulb and got a new tyre from the legends at P&S Autocentre, back in for a re-check and boom! now has a warrant and rego. Now to give it a good clean and a tickle up and get it sold. Car number two kind of ticked off.

So did this mean I could now get back to the race car.. hell no. The dishwasher decided it was going to pack a sad and break a hinge off the door and basically fall apart, so had to strip that right down, find the broken bit, weld it up and put it all back together again to keep wife happy again. Another job ticked off

Happy to say I have now cleared everything else out of the way (literally and metaphorically) to get back on to the race car and have spent some time on it over the last couple of days. Fingers crossed nothing else breaks in the near future so I can get a good run at it.

• Like 2

Some goodies from Germany arrived, a few weeks sooner than expected too ?IMG_20201015_144150.thumb.jpg.848c700f4ba03d7ebf9299e52943ca30.jpg

• Like 4

Pulled the motor from the M3 this week preparing for a full rebuild. Was a driveway job, never pulled a motor before either so was definitely a learning experience. Tried to take as many photos as I went, but in hindsight still not enough. Generally the process was look at what's hanging on, take a photo, rip it out, bag and tag. Struggled with fitting the headers past the transmission bellhousing when lifting the motor for about 20 minutes before I realized I could just take the headers off lol. Came out no problem after that. 

Overall, easier than I thought. Looking forward to having a freshened up engine. Tempted to go all in and get some bigger Schrick cams while its all being done, would go well with the CSL airbox... but then again maybe my eyes are too big for my wallet. 

20200923_195526.thumb.jpg.9b2ef15b9b02eb5aa6070cf15a918b99.jpg

20200925_122852.thumb.jpg.74bcb599b39d39fd3ab2f72bda816de1.jpg

Snapchat-1302228206.thumb.jpg.85530b84860523fb0197689283e9950c.jpg

Snapchat-1984144315.thumb.jpg.3f23dab15a4608da3a6a7f1d207677d6.jpg

Edited by Harper
Adjusted Photos
  • Like 4

Coded in the bowers and wilkins equalizer and sound profiles. Completely transformed my Harman Kardon audio

IMG_20201016_201440.jpg