Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Today I gave the car an oil change with Penrite HPR5 5w/40 (thanks Repco sale) a new Hella Oil Level sensor, a new Mann oil filter and a fresh cabin filter.

Also did a smoke test for vacuum leaks (more out of interest than concern) with a smoke machine I bought on Trade Me a few weeks ago - no leaks! Thanks to @zero and that 50s kid for the idea.

Was out at the JDM vs Euro meet with a few E46 bros from Facebook yesterday enjoying the sunshine too - an incredible  McClaren Senna was there, only to be outdone when the only Senna LM in Australasia showed up ?

IMG_20201018_092639.jpg

IMG_20201018_140334.jpg

IMG_20201018_140400.jpg

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Hang on.

2 x Senna and no pictures?

Never has an Aventador been so invisible!

IMG_20201017_153346.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Fixing this absolute botch job of wiring from the previous owners garage.

Had o2 sensor error line fault possibly linked to that wiring, and secondary disa self diagnosis fault.

Massive thanks to @Steveo1 for throwing in the entire manifold + loom attached + o2 sensors to get this looking nice and tidy. Absolute legend.

Forth time taking this thing off, managed to get it off in 1 hour, with no Pipe breaks, and very little swearing getting the sump return odd with that ac line tool

DSC_2538.JPG

DSC_2543.JPG

DSC_2542.JPG

DSC_2546.JPG

DSC_2549.JPG

DSC_2547.JPG

DSC_2545.JPG

After all of this no regrets,

A considerable bump in power, no lag in lower rpm range. That smaller DISA must have definitely been dead. And fuel economy  back to 14km/l open road and 10.5km/l mixed. (From 7-8kml)

Edited by 325_driver
  • Like 1

Took some time off from working on the E39 to replace the tyre sealant in the M5, 9 years after it should have been done!!

Old one out...

DSC_0160.thumb.JPG.d096d9a5cf4b856b71bcae5eb4f86ed8.JPG

New one in ! ;)

DSC_0161.thumb.JPG.ee33b1b7be580dfe1eae730f34ac345a.JPG

Collected a bird with the front bumper. Fell in past the lower grill (clips broke) and was stuck behind the bumper and undertray.

These ones are usually great at playing chicken on the roads but not today.

714F668A-32E7-44B8-A05F-136F30CDCED7.jpeg

• Sad 1

Finally made the conversion in the e91 to full black leather.

Big thanks to @Steveo1 for the fronts + door cards

And big thanks to @BM WORLD for sorting the other half of the puzzle with rear and side bolsters.

Getting those seats back in require some pretty advanced tongue twisting and trigonometry, good thing I read up on some forum topics giving some pointers to the little seat being loosely secured first and then the bigger seat jiggles/ jolts onto it.

Had to convert the rear sedan door cards to the touring ones, luckily there was a some what cutout for me to follow carefully with the help of a jig saw and drill, felt extremely un easy cutting into a nice condition door card. Managed to transfer the bracket across relatively easy with some OEM BMW glue to re secure in place.

DSC_2627.JPG

DSC_2626.JPG

DSC_2666.JPG

DSC_2665.JPG

DSC_2663.JPG

DSC_2661.JPG

DSC_2660.JPG

Edited by 325_driver
  • Like 2

Put a brand new radiator in today, slow leak through the bottom of the side tank in the old one. Not loosing too much coolant but thought might as well do it now would hate for it to burst during an out of town trip.

Man so much silicon every where from the last people who had it off and too cheap to replace o rings even though 5k was spent on other work through a warranty claim + water pump and thermostat etc. O rings were WELL USED firmly embedded in the groove.

Radiator came with new o rings anyway so stoked.

Putting it back in being gentle and this broke, how ever luckily once again @Steveo1 came to the rescue on a Sunday with a spare in good nick to get me rollin.

Coolant that came out was red , probably penrite not sure why they used that. thought it was supposed to be either penrite green or the blue OEM BMW / liquimoly. Anyway was really clean, but took like 8 runs of the water pump bleed procedure and dropping coolant to get rid of the red so it was just clear.

Running liquimoly now and even have the sticker to add further hp / respect points.

DSC_2899.JPG

Edited by 325_driver

Another monster week-end plus Monday’s annual leave day in the garage.

Started with a thorough clean up, sort out and tidy up of the whole garage so I could see & get to the jobs in mind.

First up filling and priming the genuine M3 rear spoiler for the race car, it’s made from a semi-flexible foam and had a lot of surface blemishes. I must stop trying to make it perfect, it’s a race car!! Now ready for a block and wet-rub.

Put the summer wheels back on the vert as it’s time to get her out on the road again! While I was there I tried to swap the super low rear springs for the Konis out of the race car (got a mention at last WoF) but the Konis are even shorter and don’t fit over the rubber packers, so that was a fail! 

Welded up the exhaust pipe off the race car, to correct some slight design issues from the previous attempt. Now all good.

Cleaned the wheels and tyres on the X2 as they were filthy. Damn water restrictions, I wish I could use my blaster.

Still trying to knock out the squashed rear rail, haven’t moved it much - real pain to be able to whack it in the right direction. Round two on another day, totally knackered now!

On 11/1/2020 at 10:21 AM, BreakMyWindow said:

Parked the M5 up for the arvo and gave one of these a workout. Still prefer much slower M5 though!

3D4BB469-DCA8-455A-AD13-74E0C8586A64.jpeg

Selling the M5 soon I bet. 

Edited by Michael.
  • Confused 1

Adjusted the door using a semi truck and trailer... BMW built em tough. 

Odds on write off? I'm at 50/50

IMG_20201125_161535.jpg

IMG_20201125_161527.jpg

• Sad 9

@Jacko Better than the 130 getting hit?

Although E91 330i's Msports are rare as hens teeth...

OOooooo that sucks. Rear 3/4 damage will push it over the edge, p/n 41217152663 isn't a small piece of metal!

Was lucky, wife driving and semi went straight through a giveway and "merged" into the RH lane of a dual carriage way. Lucky the boy wasnt in the kids seat behind that window, as its exploded into car. No airbags have gone off, and door surround looks OK (minor dent from the stop)... door and window obviously toast. Rear panel is pretty wrecked though...

Gotta be thankful that your wife is okay and kid wasnt in the car. Cars can be replaced!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jacko said:

Adjusted the door using a semi truck and trailer... BMW built em tough. 

Odds on write off? I'm at 50/50

IMG_20201125_161535.jpg

IMG_20201125_161527.jpg

Damn looks rather familiar...

50644372517_af49a49081_b.jpg

Had a Rav4 reverse into me out of a parking lot while I was driving past. Apparently the rear quarter panel is going to be replaced completely.

Won't happen till next year though.. ? And yet to be confirmed/approved by my insurance company. 

At least the car is driveable and the door opens/shuts ok. 2020...

• Like 1

330i will live another day, thanks to agreed value insurance ;)

• Like 2

Got it back from panel beater - http://panel.co.nz/ who have swapped a door off a wrecker onto it, without cleaning said door, and then plastered the wrong colour paint on...

The big gouge in the lower sill of car hasnt even been fixed, which was the scariest part of the damage

The door isnt aligned properly

The paint blending job has put fish eyes into what was undamaged panels

Inside is full of dust from sanding

Its not even the right colour and metallic flick is uneven.... 

So it'll be going back to get fixed, I've never seen so many nibs and fisheyes on a single panel before.. appalling workmanship. 

I find it amazing so many players in the auto industry are absolute hacks, I could have done a better job than this myself in the shed. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Sad 2

Pictures!

Pretty poor website, stock photo on the front page, no examples.

Apparently the ball for being approved insurers is pretty low, though, half of them are IAG brands anyway.

Disgraceful work standards, I'd be in the phone to my insurance and them.

I went to Autowerks in Auckland. BMW certified repairer (apparently) and only use new parts (4-6 weeks wait to arrive).