Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

On 1/13/2021 at 3:35 PM, GorGasm said:

Mine is the Meguiars Ceramic Wax liquid.  From the youtube review I watched the spray and rub in application seems to be the best followed closely by the liquid.  Spray on and rinse seemed to be a bit of a dud.

For the price ~$50 for Meguiars Ceramic and ~$25 for Autoglym SRP I reckon it's pretty darn good.

Thanks to these car detailing posts I'm going down to repco/supercheap and buying the meguiars ceramic wax/detail spray/clay kit and autoglym polish. Plus some Mag Monster. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 1

Washed it so it looks pretty on the skid pan at the BMW festival tomorrow,  for about 2 minutes....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aja540i said:

Washed it so it looks pretty on the skid pan at the BMW festival tomorrow,  for about 2 minutes....

Alerted the fire crew to be ready? 😅

5 hours ago, KwS said:

Alerted the fire crew to be ready? 😅

No need, there's a big sprinkler!!

Blow out the cob webs from mine today, nothing like a bit of full throttle

• Like 1

Lower control arms and balljoints on an x3.

Pretty easy, the old balljoints  were mint after 150,000km but i changed them anyway. 

Note to anyone doing this that the oem balljoints have torx bolts that need an e12 socket, where as the replacement bolts take a t40 socket. Guess which socket i didnt put back and spent 40 mins looking for -t40. 

Also dont try and pry the balljoint out (forums and youtube use this method) just get a hammer, drown the balljoint in crc and tap the whole arm near the balljoint to put it out of its press fit housing, mine cane out easy as. 

F4782D94-D17C-42CB-8017-B274CCEB5844.jpeg

D362D16C-D879-4C50-9211-9E0514413118.jpeg

B9511D93-9833-44CC-95B2-C82589D113AA.jpeg

ABFF8135-59EC-4D9B-AA6E-EB90CC31CCE2.jpeg

Not strictly my car, but I took a little bit of BMW history in NZ down to the Festival at HD.

AE947801-6248-4442-B5F6-F807E7522FDD.jpeg

Good old school motoring.. most of the time looking at the temp gauge and wondering if you’re going to get there!

Zero mod cons, not even a radio. Have to ask yourself if you really NEED all that stuff? Could have done with a 5th gear and some aircon though.

• Like 5

On 9/21/2020 at 9:35 AM, Sammo said:

planning to go HPR5

Let me know how it goes, curious on your findings. 

I switched to Royal Syntec oil in this change again which burned 1l in 3500km same as Edge. (But seems to quiet the lifters slightly)

I'll be putting hpr back In this time to see if it reaches the same km before I need to top up.

So far oils that aren't penrite seem to get drunk by the n52

11 hours ago, 325_driver said:

Let me know how it goes, curious on your findings. 

I switched to Royal Syntec oil in this change again which burned 1l in 3500km same as Edge. (But seems to quiet the lifters slightly)

I'll be putting hpr back In this time to see if it reaches the same km before I need to top up.

So far oils that aren't penrite seem to get drunk by the n52

This is an M54B30 but I've found it to be good - no issues at all and definitely burns less than the Edge 5w/30 (although still too much!)

I wasn't expecting much aside from it being easier to source on special and a slightly heavier weight, but no negatives.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:12 AM, Sammo said:

@M3AN maybe I’m exaggerating a bit, but it’s not too onerous at all, I’ll time myself on Sunday 🤣

@M3AN I did actually time myself on that Sunday as I cleaned it before going to the BMW Festival at Hampton downs.

Just under 5mins for all 4 wheels, to be fair, they had been cleaned a week or two earlier and I was racing haha

• Like 1

Gave her a long awaited drive then bath, hasn't been driven for 6 months and boy, I had forgotten the pleasures of true ///M.

It's also clear to me that a $15 Ali snow foam cannon is just as effective as a $100 local one.

Had to give her a warmup and clean in preparation for a very important trip up to Kayne Barrie on Tuesday... 😎

Washing_01.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did a bit of suspension maintenance.

Over the last few months I've been slowing rebuilding an E36 6-cyl subframe as the current one has done >400,000km with almost no maintenance. I sourced a second-hand complete subframe from the local wreckers and set about replacing everything. It has AKG bushes for the RTABs, diff, rear shock top mounts and subframe to chassis. The inner arm bushes are stock BMW to give a little softness. The outers are both spherical - same as the M3. New hub bearings, caliper seals, rotors and pads. Also got a nice medium case 3.46 LSD conversion done by Kayne Barrie (ZF type). It was all repainted to sort out minor surface rust.

At the same time subframe reinforcement plates were installed using the epoxy method (3M 07333). It all went really smoothly with no problems.

The shocks were then replaced with Koni adjustables all round. The front struts got M3 top-hats to finally get the proper M3 castor (did the bottom bushes some time ago). The swaybars were changed to M3 all round too and the front swaybar connection was changed from bottom arm to strut.

Unfortunately it can't be driven yet as it needs an alignment first and I have to wait until Tuesday...

Thanks to 3Pedals for his help in the background!!

Edited by wrs
  • Like 2

Gave it a full detail - wash / clay / polish / sealant

330ciFeb21-6.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

Gave it a full detail - wash / clay / polish / sealant

That would be like 4 weeks work for me! 🤣 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, M3AN said:

That would be like 4 weeks work for me! 🤣 

You’re only supposed to have one beer per step haha

• Haha 2

Bought another one, updated my signature, realised I have problem 😅
E5225BC2-27EC-4073-AA10-36DFA8329615.thumb.jpeg.9637e9a283ab6460f8e93a22c2550a0c.jpeg

Edited by eliongater
Added image
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

My M3 was factory specced with the F2AT M-Texture interior, however as far back in the ownership of the car as I can see it has had black leather installed. I always suspected it was retrimmed due to small inconsistencies (I can't imagine what moron would retrim such a rare interior rather than just replace it with a black leather set and keep the original??). Sadly today my suspicions were confirmed. I took the door handle off the door card just to clean it and the leather had literally just been stuck overtop the original m texture fabric.
20210216_142354.thumb.jpg.7ade4f661b313160059e003ccd53c5c7.jpg

After seeing this I decided to take the whole door card off and take a closer look. There were loads of signs that it had the insert removed before to be retrimmed. There were a few stickers with October 2007 dated on them which is when I assume this was done. As I plan on retrimming the whole interior back to it's original M texture anyway (already bought ~2800NZD worth of fabric) I decided to look a bit deeper and see if the entire insert still had it's original fabric. Sure enough...

20210216_150046.thumb.jpg.46d6bd5597cdbec461cf4fb776782c08.jpg20210216_150038.thumb.jpg.f0047711650c9f4cee7032305b21704b.jpg

There was quite a lot of some kind of contact adhesive holding all the leather on so I carefully pulled away at it and eventually got the entire panel free

20210216_160246.thumb.jpg.1f12993ad181c756f83c20e66218b64c.jpg

Sadly the original material is ruined. Completely gunked up with the leftover contact adhesive. Tried everything I had to clean it up but there was no saving it.

20210216_152915.thumb.jpg.a2865c4252a1298cd62f99b0d5363699.jpg

I don't know exactly how many of these were brought into NZ but I don't imagine many, such a shame to ruin a really unique and rare interior especially given the areas that weren't touched by the adhesive appeared to be in mint condition. Would have been cheaper and better looking to buy a good condition black set, not to mention saving one of <10(?) original M-tex interiors in NZ. Oh well...

Edited by Harper
  • Sad 3

Criminal! Are your seat inserts the same "over the top" shambles? You've already got new material (from ASC?) so why not soak it in some solvents like acetone or dry cleaning fluid and see what happens.

Of the five F2AT cars I know of in NZ, none survive. Yours got a re-trim, another was retrimmed to red(!) one is a racecar, and the other two have been written off. Such a shame.

• Like 1

I remember a couple of years back there was a cheap Oxford Green with Mtex M3 on TM. Such a great combo, what a shitty thing to ruin.

• Like 1

@KwS Oxford Green is my favourite available colour for the E46 M3, that car was dream spec for sure. Sadly according to @leichtbau that one was wrecked.

• Sad 2

49 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

Oxford Green - DMD2. Dead

Yep, used to see it around christchurch all the time getting smashed from light to light