Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

57 minutes ago, Harper said:

@KwS Oxford Green is my favourite available colour for the E46 M3, that car was dream spec for sure. Sadly according to @leichtbau that one was wrecked.

I follow this guy on Instagram - carlos_e46_

Oxford Green with the MTexture and CSL styling - absolute beauty and great photos.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 8.48.07 PM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fingers crossed repaired the bad business rds radio reception in my e36 due to bad/non existent antenna amplifier earth. Will take for a quick run today to test.

Also brought her back from cbd storage to my house finally. Left the urS6 there, chances are ill swap again as i like the S6 so much!

Post#2:

Removed horrible '98LPNA' europlates from the e36 and got standard issue, chanced the first two letters as my initials!

Not BMW again, but meh.  Had the clutch replaced on the Maserati yesterday.  Now that's a scary bill.  Glad to have it done though so I don't get the silly limp mode anymore.

I got an Alfa Giulia Veloce as a loan car and It was rather nice.  With 280HP and 400NM it goes really rather quick with a huge amount of torque from 1500-4500rpm and apparently only weighing 1500kg, it certainly feels muscular.  I'd say it's probably quicker than our 535i and, in general use, would leave the Maserati behind.  Decent quality in/out as well, the only thing missing would be the latest german tech, but I'm not really into that stuff.  Red interior also looks slick.

20210225_120716.jpg

20210225_120751.jpg

• Like 6

That was my thinking, the Veloce was hairy enough on my back roads.  Another 220hp must be a bit manic.  They feel very light on their feet which is refreshing, a 130i for comparison feels quite heavy.  If only they had a manual box they would be on to a winner.

Would be interesting to compare to a newer 3 series.

They're great looking cars,and the v6 ones sound awesome. Alfa really nailed it with those. 

I know 1 person with one and 2 people that had them, all 3 said it was the most unreliable car they have ever had bar none.  These are people who have owned m3’s, c63’s rs4’s m5’s etc. 

On a good day though its a brilliant car. 

1 minute ago, balancerider said:

@KwS - on Blacklion tires no less, an auspicious start...

Only the best black circles here.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, KwS said:

Traded my seemingly unsellable TVR for a whale.

qXIjJJr.jpg

Congrats! What was the motivation for the change? Quite different beasties I suppose :) 

3 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Congrats! What was the motivation for the change? Quite different beasties I suppose :) 

Easier to sell, hopefully. Strategic move really.

In the mean time its actually quite nice to drive. Just got to work out how to code some stuff on it (like the radio frequency).

Havent missed BMW life. Everything is so expensive, and things keep falling off. Lost a center cap badge at some point today. Thought replacing the front and rear badges would be cheap (since someone put shitty carbon ones on it) but no, front one is cheap, boot one is a minimum of $50 from overseas.

sh*t its a nice car to drive though. Just eats up the miles.

Swapped the wider wheels/tyres back to the rear where they should be. Car suddenly drives better now with more grip and less traction control fighting. Cant believe the previous owner didnt notice.

Oh, also coded the JDM radio to NZ frequencies. First time using NCSExpert, Easier than expected.

• Like 1

Cleaned the whale inside and out to get it ready for sale. Removed the fake M badge from the back and replaced the front roundel. Pity the rear hasnt arrived yet.

MMhE8cJ.jpg
WYTEg27.jpg
fJNqzfS.jpg

Im SUPER impressed with Carpro Ech2o as a waterless wash. I cleaned the car yesterday normally, because its was covered in bird poo and bug splatters, and then today went over it with Ech2o and damn it shines well considering its not waxed. I used to wash the TVR with it because TVRs are hygroscopic and was impressed, but the BMW paint really pops.

• Like 3

@KwS yeah, Ech2o was a game changer for me - so easy, and leaves a decent amount of waxy goodness as well. Works as a clay lube too - if you're into that.

Pretty much converted me to the hole CarPro range which is consistently excellent.

• Like 1

Purchased some new tyres for the 535i.  Grabbed 4x Laufenn LK03 in 245/40/19 for $830 fitted, balanced, and aligned.  They are visually identical to the old Hankook Evo S1 which makes me think that Laufenn get the old Hankook moulds.  Will see how they go but can't beat the deal!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Purchased some new tyres for the 535i.  Grabbed 4x Laufenn LK03 in 245/40/19 for $830 fitted, balanced, and aligned.  They are visually identical to the old Hankook Evo S1 which makes me think that Laufenn get the old Hankook moulds.  Will see how they go but can't beat the deal!

What car have they gone on? $200 a corner for 19's can't be laughed at but I'd be weary of road noise and wet weather performance at those prices... you can't even get 18's in that size for that money for a good all-round tyre.

What's the load and wear rating?

They're on my 535i, ZR19 98Y XL, 280 A A.

When I got the car it had brand new Triangle TH201s on it which are the cheapest tyre I have ever seen in that size, and despite being a little small for their size they actually did a darn good job.  Wet/dry traction was reasonable and we got 25-30k out of them.

Will be interesting to see how the Laufenns go.  I know Qube had some success on their older tyre models.  As I mentioned before the LK03 is a dead ringer for the old Hankook S1 Evo which was a well regarded mid range tyre.  Before you go thinking I am a tyre scrooge, my other car has Michelin PS4S in 295/35/20 on the back :)

Hankook S1 Evo:

image.png.c73dc65641ef4a3fc5e268224ce10ba9.png

LK03:

image.png.b3d6c485f0811d6d1df7927506c56fab.png

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 3

Interesting, I quite like my Hankooks although I’m using V12 Evo 2s.

Wow, yeah if they havent bought the moulds, thats some hard core copying!

Laufenn is a brand of hankook just made in indonesia factory to reduce costs. 

• Like 1