Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

damn thats annoying. I almost always reverse park because of this very reason

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, qube said:

damn thats annoying. I almost always reverse park because of this very reason

Maybe I'll get a colour matched plate holder with insurance 😂

6 hours ago, Sammo said:

I broke it 😬 lucky I didn’t berate the wife for doing something g similar last year 🤔

B2DE3A83-7AD6-4C61-99F7-CD8933955C41.jpeg

That seems to be a right of passage for owning an e46! i did that on my old one, hopefully wont be doing it on my new one!

i'll have to do some cruises and photo shoots with you once my one i'm restoring now is done, twin blue coupes!

• Like 1

I caught up on e46 maintenance yesterday.  Well, at least Auto 38 in Newtown, Wellington caught up on my behalf!  It had been seven or eight years since the last cooling system refresh - about 80k kms.  Last time it was Hepu water pump, hoses, sensors, reservoir, thermostat, cap, thermostat clip.  There had been some slow leaks - coolant loss over about 3 months bringing up the level light, and about 150ml of deionised water to top up.  Now was the time to sort it.

This time it was *all the hoses* - not just the top and bottom ones, every hose, including the hard plastic one that bolts to the block, and the one(s) intake manifold.  New thermostat (Borg Warner), new water pump (Graf this time - metal impeller again), reservoir, support bracket, cap, sensors, auto trans thermostat, pulleys, belts.  And of course BMW coolant with deionised water.  Replaced fan shroud too, Jon had a spare one that wasn't cracked.

Jon showed me the state of the hoses, many of them had turned hard like thermo-setting plastic.  There was a little play in the Hepu waterpump bearing.  Doesn't feel like much, but as Jon pointed out - there's a fan on the end of it!

My impression on the drive was that the car feels a little smoother.  Happy days.

Great service from Jon and Keren at Auto 38!  If you're in the Wellington region, this is the place to go.

• Like 5

Brand new rear rotors and brake pads installed. Think one of the old rotor was very very well used haha. 

AC7E97F8-429A-423B-9390-B59FCE59B034.jpeg

2DC9759A-9591-4C9B-8501-B9DEBC9A388E.jpeg

• Like 2

wow, you got your money's worth out of those @qube 😀

• Haha 2

Removed rear seat from the E39 to access rear shocks. 

Bit of a pita but no broken bits so yay!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hunter said:

Removed rear seat from the E39

Did the same last weekend Ben to put all the Bavsound speakers into the 540.  Sounding good now, just need the BlueBus to arrive...

9 minutes ago, hqstu said:

Did the same last weekend Ben to put all the Bavsound speakers into the 540.  Sounding good now, just need the BlueBus to arrive...

Sweet! Good to hear you like the Bavsound. Nice easy upgrade aye. How far away is bluebus? I’d be keen to check that out once it arrives. 

13 minutes ago, hunter said:

How far away is bluebus?

June was latest notification.

• Like 1

Me? Not much.

Miss M? She bought a 2013 116i. Really is a lovely little car.

image.thumb.png.19c902bc849024210b97939444ad0b47.png

• Like 6

Went for a spin down the road and it ticked over this, which i thought was pretty cool 😎

06963F9F-5A5C-4ADA-9F67-55170BC48752.thumb.jpeg.72dc9cade92a86721489b13f9c798964.jpeg

• Like 3

Not quite today, but removed rear spoiler and m3 mirrors and clear lights back to original spec recently:

A2C9897A-3D19-41FC-B467-00442823C761.jpeg

1538AC5A-3A4C-4198-B17E-8F5FCD94E2AF.jpeg

• Like 5

Miss M's new car went through it's WoF. Headlights needed to be adjusted (we knew this) and a wheel alignment and rotation was recommended, so that's been sorted too.
It'll have an engine oil and filter change, the diff breather checked, and diff fluid changed. I've ordered a transmission service kit for it, too.

In other news, the venerable E46 318i went for it's WoF too. Failed on a 'missing' rear seatbelt receptacle (it was under the seat) cloudy headlights (cleaned them with some reno kit), a brake pad wear sensor not being connected, and the RH lower ball joint being 'tired (ordered two new arms, and the rear bush).

Not a bad result. :) 

• Like 2

Got the brake fluid flushed and replaced in the M3 at the place around the corner because I hate doing brake fluid. The fluid that was in there was seriously past its use by date but the pedal still feels soft. May take it back for another bleed.

And I replaced the new intake hose on the 130i with a new intake hose for the 130i. More info in that thread for those that are interested. 

They're some fancy looking gauges @Ninjaspartan, what can you display in the bottom section?

38 minutes ago, M3AN said:

because I hate doing brake fluid

This is my life recently. So much brake fluid. Its my most hated automotive fluid. Basically colourless, odourless, oily, thin, goes everywhere, and will strip paint and damage plastics if you so much as point it in the wrong direction.

Added some yellow LED lights to the E39. A lot more vibrant than the OE ones. 

also purchased a new rear sway bar link to replace the rattling one I found the other day. 

94CDED0B-B3D5-4C40-A131-3BBBA86E2849.jpeg

2 hours ago, gjm said:

Miss M's new car went through it's WoF. Headlights needed to be adjusted (we knew this) and a wheel alignment and rotation was recommended, so that's been sorted too.
It'll have an engine oil and filter change, the diff breather checked, and diff fluid changed. I've ordered a transmission service kit for it, too.

In other news, the venerable E46 318i went for it's WoF too. Failed on a 'missing' rear seatbelt receptacle (it was under the seat) cloudy headlights (cleaned them with some reno kit), a brake pad wear sensor not being connected, and the RH lower ball joint being 'tired (ordered two new arms, and the rear bush).

Not a bad result. :) 

These little 116i's love a remap :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sammo said:

These little 116i's love a remap :)

This one has enough pep to keep Miss M happy for a while!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M3AN said:

They're some fancy looking gauges @Ninjaspartan, what can you display in the bottom section?

Thanks, I purchased them years ago from albut only got round to fitting the oil pressure the other day. 
They just display a digital read of the gauge and the voltage too. 

• Like 1

Tried to make a run for it to complete this motor swap.

I saw blue sky so pushed it out side and abort mission

My apologies for the rain everyone.

How I would kill for a garage let alone a flat surface without gigantic rocks 🤣

Edit *** migrant bmw caravan mode engaged

OEM number coming

Ain't no rain stopping this train

DSC_4099.thumb.JPG.0ee505d7057b7a7b58ec3a646ffcccc0.JPG

Edited by 325_driver
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Made it shiney again, Soft99 KoG. Bestest wax ever. 

190733689_10157680915947693_5596649385745383864_n.jpg

• Like 4