Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Got the rear sub frame bolted up, and while i was at it, took all control arms off the donor hubs I got with the 325 axels in them.

Came across this haha ...

Oddly enough none of the suspension components from it looked bent, but i guess a wheel alignment is going to tell when I get this wrapped up

I've got plenty of spares for that side, hoping i'm not going to have to replace anything, I really did not enjoy bolting up that hub, got alot quicker at it second time round though i guess.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I guess you don’t mean of the house rennos? 🥺

Dropping the rear end on an E30 is pretty simple, most people have probably seen / done it..

Came out pretty easily and stripped down, the usual one stuck bolt was absent today which was nice. Now to push out the Delrin bushes and swap into the new beam.!

1707D045-682B-44D0-959E-DA5ACFCB6A8E.jpeg

Awesome.  What's prompted the 5-stud conversion on the racecar, more brakes?  
I should note that's a decent collection of Resene cans there too.  Waterborne enamels FTW!  

6 hours ago, Olaf said:

Awesome.  What's prompted the 5-stud conversion on the racecar, more brakes?  
I should note that's a decent collection of Resene cans there too.  Waterborne enamels FTW!  

Mainly because the E30 M3 was five stud, so looking to replicate that, plus the increase in rear track to fill the wider M3 arches without spacers.

The extra brakes is a bonus, plus the ability to run 5 x 120 wheel styles that are used on the M3 - of which I have a few sets already!

Changed the glow plugs on the E34 today. Pretty quick job.

Though the gaskets I had were not correct so I used liquid gasket as a temporary solution. Fun times scrapping that off.

Next is the leaking injector. Which is number 4. The hard one with the sensor. Diesels are fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Made more room for activities E91DB9E8-710D-45A1-8D34-F1C027DB710E.thumb.jpeg.5bdb88fef18029a1d9ca12f4a3b602d1.jpeg7FB8A3AA-910F-4794-960E-9CC4235FD8CB.thumb.jpeg.e32ef6d85ae2463901d7bcbf19b48063.jpeg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, M3AN said:

There are some lovely wheels there @euroriffic!

Is a struggle to decide what to run, so good to have options. Buying tyres is killing me though! Be cheaper buying a tyre machine I think D3A43C27-6355-4458-8183-DB0EDF18CF56.thumb.jpeg.f00956c1330dd4a621bc5ddaf2e1b9aa.jpeg

• Like 9

The 320 is now something worth driving. A 325i

Filled transmission at temperature

Calibrated DSC pump no more DSC and abs lights

Cleared check engine Replaced bank 1 post cat o2 sensor

Nearly everything bolted back up, ran it to operation temperature no leaks... yet.

DSC_4130.thumb.JPG.0d4d97ece2551f23d35430046ce6b234.JPG

just got to the odd braces front end, near enough camber/tow on rear end 

She's quiet and revs cleanly 

Went to replace the front LCAs on the venerable E46 318i.

Nut on top of the outer balljoint? No problem.
Two bolts holding hte lollipop in place? Easy as.
Nut on top of the inner balljoint...? Where the actual %Y$@ is it? Can't see it, can't feel it. Finally locate and find I can fit a recessed ring spanner on to it. 1/24th of a turn and... Can't get the spanner out as it is hard up against the underside of the something.
Find an open-ended spanner - fiddle around until it gets on to the nut, get perhaps 1/24th of a turn on it before the spanner fouls on something - the aircon pump, the sway bar, sway bar bushing... Take the spanner off, turn it over, and... Nope won't go back on. Get another spanner with a slightly different head angle and yes! that'll do it. Move the nut another 1/24th of a turn, that is. Back to the first spanner, wrong way round, take it out again, turn it over, it fits, get another 1/24th of a turn, back to the second spanner, it's started raining...

Stuff that. Lying on my back in a puddle isn't my idea of fun. It'll wait. For now.

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2021 at 8:20 PM, gjm said:

Went to replace the front LCAs on the venerable E46 318i.

etc...

It's being a bit of a monkey, is the E46 318i.

Arms and rear mounts replaced, but now there's a proper 'knock' on bumpy roads at slow speed (our driveway), and it's possible to turn the steering wheel too far - it feels as though the turning is fine and then there is a 'give' in the steering and it turns a bit further. Turning back, it feels as though the steering has to go over a hump (terrible description but if you've experienced this you'll know what I mean) before returning to a normal position.

It also feels a little odd when turning right, especially at any speed.

Alignment definitely needs sorting. To be expected.

If it stops raining I'll get back under and see if I can identify what's wrong.

In the meantime, the brake warning light didn't go away when the sensors were replaced. Good pads, discs, fluid and sensors. Took a 'read and reset' to sort it - I've since been advised that turning the ignition to position 3 (just before engaging the starter) and leaving it there for 2 minutes can clear faults like this, too. Having cleared it, it hasn't returned.

Fitted, nothing better than fresh M-texture. In desperate need of some trim to replace my silver junk now though...

20210629_160317.thumb.jpg.2bd1a28b2b84b5c60fd0f9da5bf34762.jpg20210629_163712.thumb.jpg.ddecbb0d84f0420d9728a3fb190e6a87.jpg

Ordered an exciting package out of Germany over the weekend which should be here in 3 weeks, pilot sport 4S's arriving this week or early next, this car might finally start to actually take shape soon.

Edited by Harper
  • Like 3

Interesting day today.

Went to have a covid test where they serve you in your car. A big gust whipped through, picked up their tent and smashed it into my bonnet. At first we spotted just a few scratches, which may have buffed out, but then we spotted the impact dent smack bang in the middle. Ooops!

On 6/19/2021 at 6:16 PM, gjm said:

It's being a bit of a monkey, is the E46 318i.

Arms and rear mounts replaced, but now there's a proper 'knock' on bumpy roads at slow speed (our driveway), and it's possible to turn the steering wheel too far - it feels as though the turning is fine and then there is a 'give' in the steering and it turns a bit further. Turning back, it feels as though the steering has to go over a hump (terrible description but if you've experienced this you'll know what I mean) before returning to a normal position.

It also feels a little odd when turning right, especially at any speed.

Alignment definitely needs sorting. To be expected.

If it stops raining I'll get back under and see if I can identify what's wrong.

In the meantime, the brake warning light didn't go away when the sensors were replaced. Good pads, discs, fluid and sensors. Took a 'read and reset' to sort it - I've since been advised that turning the ignition to position 3 (just before engaging the starter) and leaving it there for 2 minutes can clear faults like this, too. Having cleared it, it hasn't returned.

e46 and e60 CLONK out of driveways/over bumps is frequently the centre nut hasn't had enough ugga-duggas on it - if you've been changing shocks.  Are your endlinks and balljoints etc correctly tightened?  Worth checking.

Is that castor/ackerman at work?

and yes, you can reset the brake pad warning light with just the ignition key and the door, in the right sequence.  Sorry can't remember or find it right now.  Youtuber Bullshitkorner has a short video on how-to.

HTH

Edited by Olaf

Dog helped me wash the dust off it....

211427220_10157740341952693_7592123890823507535_n.jpg

• Like 1

Finished putting the M5  back together!! New thermostat, radiator hoses, radiator drain bungs, new coolant, 1 new intake boot and clamp, new sway bar bushes and end links, headlights polished and clear coated,  freshly painted front bumper fitted. Also took the opportunity to vacuum 14 years worth of dead bugs out of the oil cooler and radiator!! Quick test drive tonight shows oil gets up to temp a lot faster so thermostat was past its best.

• Like 4

Should be able to beat an M440 now... ;)

• Haha 3

Gave the interior a good detail today - its never dirty,  but went over the seats and wheel with CarPro 'Inside' (great product) and a shoe brush and came up fantastic.

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

• Like 5

Wheels on. Car is filthy and camera lens is broken on my phone so the photos are a bit shite but you get the idea.

20210703_111620.thumb.jpg.904f6a683517420aca2cdff7abc39239.jpg

20210703_172145.thumb.jpg.f9ee80a2dfe10accee32874d4fa0bdf6.jpg

20210703_172134.thumb.jpg.b7ffbcf3ba2ed9fecc2ae7c6b11e63d7.jpg

20210703_113602.thumb.jpg.f9396887ed30ddc6b59c45cd7103c974.jpg

Square set of brand new Style 260M's in reflex silver. Michelin PS4S's 255/40/18 all round. Photos don't quite do it justice, looks mega. Need to dial the alignment in a little more, still getting a slight rub under compression on the front right so probably going to raise it + a little more camber. Been a really rough few weeks so this has definitely put a smile on my face :P

Edited by Harper
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Harper said:

20210703_113602.thumb.jpg.f9396887ed30ddc6b59c45cd7103c974.jpg

Square set of brand new Style 260M's in reflex silver. Michelin PS4S's 255/40/18 all round. Photos don't quite do it justice, looks mega. Need to dial the alignment in a little more, still getting a slide rub under compression on the front right so probably going to raise it + a little more camber. Been a really rough few weeks so this has definitely put a smile on my face :P

These look epic! 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, str8_6 said:

These look epic! 

Yep, that's the money shot. Shades of M3 GTR wheels.

Edit: @Harper does this mean there's a set of x8.5" fronts floating about?

Edited by leichtbau
  • Like 1