Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

53 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Tech 1.. I've got an alpina 157 on mine and the side profile is perfect with the top down

+1

• Thanks 1

Actually got to do some work on the race car today, for the first time in ages! Have cleared a number of other jobs off the to-do list, so the race car is back to the (near) top.

First jobs were to move the pile of bits off the top of it, so I could actually get to work on it, and then too vacuum all the dust and sh*t off - it’s amazing how much crap gets under the bonnet, even with it down!

• Like 2

On 5/2/2022 at 12:23 PM, Gaz said:

Tech 1.. I've got an alpina 157 on mine and the side profile is perfect with the top down

The good news is that after measuring up with the trusty eye-crometer it looks like the bolt holes are the same for both the Tech 1 and the lip, so if I’m not happy with the result it’s easy to swap over.

My only concern is the Tech 1 will look a bit much without the matching rear skirt - which I also really want but that’s another issue..

Got it back after some face work. 
back this this:

D6EB1A17-46A3-4DD6-A43B-AE7721ECBE38.thumb.jpeg.f99d00c079ec76176b1f97638b870dec.jpeg

from this:

1DFDBAAE-6C0F-4E63-B0E5-EFC6DE383835.thumb.jpeg.867550d4abc99e53ad7d8ae8f1f1eabb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Kind of 😎.
Bumper was damaged when it had a wheel alignment done. Underside ripped and left hand side pulled left off coming off the ramp. Temporarily reattached it. Decided to take it to mitre10. Parked. Went inside. Came out. Reversed out. Heard a crunch. Stopped. Got out. Bumper on the ground. Stupid parking stop haha 🤣

only took 6 months to have it fixed

'Officially' listed Mrs M's Baur for sale. 😢 

Not a happy day, but a necessary one.

• Sad 2

Box of goodies arrived from Vink Motorsport for the race car, so that is nice.

Also came with the added extras of a bit more enthusiasm and determination to crack on and get it finished.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got a new WOF after fixing a few things - PS leak / floppy seat / floppy door hinge / floppy tie rods.

Do have a new thing to add to the to-do list - large amount of vertical play in my steering couple guibo causing a clunk over every speed bump...

I have a rubber one here but might go for a softer grade grade poly so I feel like I've upgraded / ruined something at the same time.

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 2

Was presented with a coolant leak in the 130 today... pulled out of the garage this morning and there was a small pool on the floor, jumped in it this evening for the (short) trip home and got a dash warning and left another small pool in my parking spot at work. Didn't get much beyond 100*C on the ~9km trip home but it's a problem that will need addressing.

Long weekend on Waiheke this one so no time to look at it until next weekend so I'll have to carry around some demineralised water or premix G48 for the time being.

To be fair, it's the only mechanical problem I've had with it in 2.5 years and ~10k kms so I can't complain. And well, BMW cooling systems, it was hardly unexpected. 🙄

Better than blowing the bottom out of the radiator at the top of the harbour bridge, 20km from home, in the old 328 I suppose...

• Like 2

The E46 318i failed it's WoF today. 😢

Both front "anti-roll bar links". Somehow I missed this when checking; there's not been any noises or similar, and they looked OK from my 'lying on back on the driveway' perspective. 

So that'll be part number 5 on the diagram. Which (Colin - @Young Thrash Driver - will be unsurprised to hear) I have spares of...

image.png.ee03bac0a853fd5601545e43c6f39857.png

• Like 1

Had a general fiddle to see if something has changed causing the power steering-esque groan since having susp worked on.

Found this beauty:

8D913997-FFEF-4DF5-96D4-74A55816EB94.jpeg

D1A4DEB8-FE4E-444E-B4B6-D13B21C4C0CF.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Vortex generator, awesome! Just like VTEC, only better.

Vroom, vroom.

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2022 at 12:31 PM, gjm said:

The E46 318i failed it's WoF today. 😢

Both front "anti-roll bar links". Somehow I missed this when checking; there's not been any noises or similar, and they looked OK from my 'lying on back on the driveway' perspective. 

So that'll be part number 5 on the diagram. Which (Colin - @Young Thrash Driver - will be unsurprised to hear) I have spares of...

image.png.ee03bac0a853fd5601545e43c6f39857.png

I'm moving to a new place tomorrow, my spares supply has not reached the giddy heights of GJM Mechanicking LTD. The Mazda doesn't require spares being kept in stock... 😛

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2022 at 10:03 PM, Young Thrash Driver said:

I'm moving to a new place tomorrow, my spares supply has not reached the giddy heights of GJM Mechanicking LTD. The Mazda doesn't require spares being kept in stock... 😛

monty-python-fart.gif.d96f11c3372a8b9c6324e5cf5ff15401.gif

Edited by gjm
  • Haha 3

Got a little Karcher K3 pressure washer for a few wee jobs around the house (well that was the official justification) and thought it would come in handy for washing the car, using snow foam and hopefully cleaning wheels without a brush.

So after I cleaned the steps and fence, I gave the E30 its first snow foam wash.

After being quite excited about it seemed like much ado about nothing - foam was thick and fantastic (Autoglym Polar Blast) but just seemed like such a pain in the arse with 3 'cords' instead of 1 when you have to touch wash it afterwards anyway.

I guess it would be good for people who let their cars get dirty but mine is generally pretty clean.

Also felt like it removed a little of my sealant.

Will reserve it for when I've got more time / car is filthy, otherwise a quick rinse and 2 bucket wash is king.

• Like 2

I washed the E30 before I meet the new buyer at the airport tomorrow at dark o’clock, then he is driving back to Auckland.  I too use the “good coats of polish and two bucket wash method” @Sammo

24A688D1-FD21-48B8-97F5-F0CC12ED0752.jpeg

7579F5C1-8C1C-4C87-84B3-C3863794B311.jpeg

165F5B0D-C4C3-419A-AB0A-4F5EF6E03734.jpeg

• Like 6

So finally, after a long weekend on Waiheke, the crap weather, and recovering from covid, I finally got a chance to search for my two week old coolant leak in the 130i and fortunately it's an easy enough fix. Of course without the poor BMW design and engineering it wouldn't have failed in the first place...

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Came close to widening the garage door whilst almost wrecking the sedan today.

Tried to drive the front onto the ramps to give it a quick check-over before going for WoF on Thursday. Decided to chuck some planks under the rear wheels as well to make it a bit easier to slide the jack in. Stupidly, put the planks long ways along the car, so when the wheels hit them, they jumped up and got wedged between the wheels and the backs of the side skirts. Stupidly, tried to get out of the situation by giving it a bit more gas. Even more stupidly, did it with the left foot whilst being halfway out the car to see how far up the ramps I was. So of course the car lurched forward, overshot the ramps and ended up with the nose inside the garage. Luckily, through a combination of hitting the brakes a split second later and by then being beached on top of the ramps, managed to stop just in time before breaking my shin in half. Just a wee dent on the driver's door from hitting the frame and a wee bruise to show for it.

512774566_2022-06-0615_39_57.thumb.jpg.ca4bd436bcd21b8e513584071d2c67bf.jpg

Got out only to realise what a lucky bastard I am. Could have been absolute disaster had the wheels been facing even a fraction more to the right. Barely 5mm between the door frame and the fender. 

1243339741_2022-06-0615_39_25.thumb.jpg.0cedbe650954344bc0a1cda8ac1df823.jpg 757138435_2022-06-0615_40_47.thumb.jpg.706adf432b474ea5b97fef03fcf26f2f.jpg

Just absolute stupidity on my part all around. Lesson learned with just some minor damage and a wee fright. The paint marks on the door hand polished out quite easily and the door itself was already a bit banged up since before I got the car so an extra wee dent doesn't detract much from the aesthetics anyway.

On a positive note, switched out the faulty, crusty old washer pump so she should be all set for WoF.

1364676701_2022-06-0616_59_28.thumb.jpg.238214a9ef5e6beb199564e1f10bd008.jpg

Winning.

• Sad 6

After having a rattle in the front of the F01 since I put a CarPlay module in, decided enough was enough and it needed to be found.
Pulled the front dash apart, tied up the module etc. still there. After some assistance from the boss driving so I could diagnose and find the rattle, this took the steps of you drive I’ll pull the car apart while where going. Determined it was the lower trim under the glovebox which had a metal clip that pushes up, but being previously removed it was bent and not tight enough have a small resonance.

Job done, serene 7 back,  now I do need to change out those run flats.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, M3AN said:

So finally, after a long weekend on Waiheke, the crap weather, and recovering from covid, I finally got a chance to search for my two week old coolant leak in the 130i and fortunately it's an easy enough fix. Of course without the poor BMW design and engineering it wouldn't have failed in the first place...

I haven't looked over one of these. I thought they had moved to all clip on style connectors from about 1996 onwards.

2 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

I haven't looked over one of these. I thought they had moved to all clip on style connectors from about 1996 onwards.

I don't know how they work to be honest, will need to wait for my new one to arrive to inspect it.

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

I don't know how they work to be honest, will need to wait for my new one to arrive to inspect it.

The clamp is onto a plastic quick disconnect. 

IMG_20220607_114935.jpg

IMG_20220607_114927.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Frustrating day in BMW-land.

Changed out my steering coupler for an Ireland engineering poly one as mechanic thought it was the source of my clunking over speedbumps. 

Its wasn't, although guess I know how a nice new coupler. Will need to keep hunting for this clunk - feel its related to my endlinks (new but possibly installed incorrectly.

Then I decided to give my new Mtech 2 wheel refurb with Colourlock leather fresh and it came up amazing but broke my very shoddily connected horn wire and of course no-one open on a Sunday has the correct size spade terminal in stock.

So I have a beautiful new steering wheel sitting on the workbench - will pop into Jaycar tomorrow maybe.