Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Yep that's it. Rang the local guy that wanted it to fix so he wouldn't bid and that he can buy it off me once I'm done with it. Only really want exhaust and wheels and wee bits and pieces.

^thats a great idea. Saves you guys from pointless bidding war

I agree with Kyu, but don't tell TM - they'd probably ban you both for collusion!

Sold my 2.8 stroker gear then picked up a different engine for my Sedan over the weekend.

Had a baby recently too, but the slow progress of my car can't get much worse than it already is lol

• Like 3

Had a baby recently too...

Congrats dad! :)

• Like 1

Spent some time on the new e46, swapped the tail lights out for the clear indicator facelift ones. Just need to buy some sides and front now since the other car had a broken one. Also after a good looking over noticed the intake boot had a tear where the icv comes off so pulled that off, what a mission that was! Checked the disa valve while I was there and was all good. Use some raychem over the tear to fix that problem and reassemble.

Also noticed it was well over filled with oil, dispite being done by a local garage about two weeks ago. Ended up taking about two litres out to get to the full line.

Also pulled those horrible chrome wheel arch trims off, looks much better!

And test fitted some wheels I have lying around

post-5102-0-07416600-1464426623_thumb.jp

Also noticed it was well over filled with oil, dispite being done by a local garage about two weeks ago. Ended up taking about two litres out to get to the full line.

Thats weird, my old E46 323i was about 2L over full when i got it too.

Thats weird, my old E46 323i was about 2L over full when i got it too.

Must be an e46 thing?

Bought some more RUCs.

5 units. 5000kms, about 3100 miles.

Should last a few weeks.

Over $300. :(

Bought some more RUCs.

5 units. 5000kms, about 3100 miles.

Should last a few weeks.

Over $300. :(

What, no oil change today? :)
  • Like 1

What, no oil change today? :)

Not today. But very soon. Probably next weekend (10th).

Sold my 2.8 stroker gear then picked up a different engine for my Sedan over the weekend.

Had a baby recently too, but the slow progress of my car can't get much worse than it already is lol

Congrats dad! :)

I was going to say "congrats, Mum" #; )

parenthood. no owners manual, nothing will be the same again.... yet so *worth it*. Lucan, welcome to the club, as it were!

Must be an e46 thing?

like the time I got an advisory from VTNZ from a WoF: "your oil is low, sir".

"no it's not"

"yes, sir, I checked your dipstick"

"really? I changed my oil 2 days ago, the level was perfect" check the oil.... "you're the dipstick mate... see that groove there, that's the FULL mark."

"oh".

in summary, prolly a combination of e46 distick design, and the f%*king disptick reading the oil! ;)

• Like 3

like the time I got an advisory from VTNZ from a WoF: "your oil is low, sir".

"no it's not"

"yes, sir, I checked your dipstick"

"really? I changed my oil 2 days ago, the level was perfect" check the oil.... "you're the dipstick mate... see that groove there, that's the FULL mark."

"oh".

in summary, prolly a combination of e46 distick design, and the f%*king disptick reading the oil! ;)

Haha! Yea could be right there, they do step up near the top so may have been the boy doing the job and wasn't paying attention

I hear ya ... everything outside of baby and work has gone into glacial pace now the missus is back at work, all of that time we sort of had gone keep up with basic life stuff.

Oh and congrats! :)

Racked my brain about which clutch kit to use with my newly acquired LWFW............ too many choices and options to get it right 1st time

We Reset the rain sensor error in my 540i after the AA guys abused it by jump starting the car months ago. (From both terminals front AND back). It seems the rain sensor did not like it.

Also changed a faulty (Chinese ebay) abs sensor back to the factory one. It only lasted one year.

Thanks Glenn!!! Good job everything seems to work perfect now. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Changed the upper seal and lower windscreen cowl in the E38 Msport. Both are done now, massive look improvement. Detail really improves the whole car overall.

Spent plenty of this weekend on the rotary polishing after a good clar bar as well. Msport just about ready for some pics .... Couple more weeks

• Like 1

Replaced the gearknob in Miss M's car with one received from Kopua Cowboy (thanks ever so much).

Now looks like this:

post-51211-0-49766200-1465450095_thumb.j

Getting the old one off was interesting. "Give a good tug" is the normal instruction, but I suspect that works best when they've not been fitted using insulation tape, black mastic, some sort of superglue... This is what I removed:

post-51211-0-57188400-1465450177_thumb.j

The new knob does need something to stop it rotating, but it doesn't need that much stuff!

• Like 3

^ Nice work Graham - saw the original on Sunday and couldn't imagine Miss M being happy with that! :)

• Like 1

The design should stop it from rotating. Shaft has a notch in the top and there is a bit on the inside of the knob that matches that to lock it in place.

New knob looks good though, Also loving the basic poverty model clock.

The design should stop it from rotating. Shaft has a notch in the top and there is a bit on the inside of the knob that matches that to lock it in place.

New knob looks good though, Also loving the basic poverty model clock.

There's a slot on the top of the shaft, but doesn't appear to be anything matching inside the knob. I'll have another look tomorrow.

I like the analogue clock. No segments to stop working!

I swapped the digital clock in a 928 for a square Jaeger one. Looked much nicer.

Thanks to Martin my 540i has now the correct V8 facelift kidney grilles.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The plastic locating lugs inside the "new" knob are broken, from memory. It was glued in place when I got it.

Could always get one of those super cool 3 foot long drift style knobs :D

• Like 1

The plastic locating lugs inside the "new" knob are broken, from memory. It was glued in place when I got it.

Could always get one of those super cool 3 foot long drift style knobs :D

I had a quick look and that's how it appears. I suspect whoever you got it from tried to unscrew it.

I'll think of something. Plenty of ways to keep it in place. :)