Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

4 hours ago, KwS said:

Red mirrors is a GP thing, not done by a PO. A very cool car.

Thanks Kelvin @KwS :)

4 hours ago, Sammo said:

@E28E30 looking good! Black vinyl for the red mirrors maybe?

Aww thanks Sam :) @Sammo.  The PO or one before added the black stripes, some carbon fibre stickers inside and out, some aftermarket gauge faces, chrome rear boot handle, and a few other things.  I removed two stripes off bonnet and used eucalyptus oil and Meguiars to try to get glue off, looks bad so will probably reinstall the stripes and call it done.

The paint was looking swirly and tired but has come up well, lots of sweat!  Some chips on bonnet etc.  

• Like 1

What gauge faces did they install? Dont the GPs already have unique grey faces? A GP is one of those cars you just dont mess with, the factory did it right first time 😆

1 hour ago, KwS said:

What gauge faces did they install? Dont the GPs already have unique grey faces? A GP is one of those cars you just dont mess with, the factory did it right first time 😆

Alas not the grey GP ones @KwS, these ugly mofos…

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by E28E30
  • Sad 1

Got some paintless dent removal done on the E30 this morning - drivers door had about 6 pin dents in a row which looked terrible and drew attention to the other flaws in the panel (chips / poor repair work) - Pete from Dent Magician got them out efficiently for $140 despite access being an issue (upper door where there is a double skin).

Very impressed, although now I'm aware of some less obvious ones that I barely saw before haha.

After a DIY paint correction and tidying a few trim pieces next month, should be good enough until I get a bunch of painting done later in the year and try to get it to a 9/10 kind of level.

Currently she is far from perfect, but overall looking very sharp for a 400,000km 33 year old.

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 1

@Sammo interesting I have the same on my E30.  Do they take the door cards off and go in from inside?

Just now, E28E30 said:

@Sammo interesting I have the same on my E30.  Do they take the door cards off and go in from inside?

Went through the window seal (the slot the window slides into) or this job - I assumed they would remove trim too - worth getting someone to take a look, if the paint is unbroken they can do some pretty impressive stuff, most charge per panel I think - $100-150 depending on number dents / complexity.

My drivers door is still the worst panel on the car, but without the eye catching dents in your eyeline, you're less inclined to notice and then 'zoom in' on the other flaws.

• Like 1

Washed the X5 after Akld-Wgtn-Taupo-Akld-Coromandel-Akld. Last two days under a Puriri with wood pigeons shitting on it. Took 3 hours with a clay bar and buckets of water to get it nearly back to where it was. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had the car out in the sun on the driveway (melting my credit card :D), cracked the windows about an inch and went about my day....... returned to find a laser guided bird sh*t had gone right through the window gap and onto the back seat! Quick clean up and all is well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On a related note, I somehow, managed to end up with a bird sh*t on the INSIDE of my alloy wheel, BEHIND the spokes - but not on them. Was a big one as well!

Maybe birds have got laser guidance on their arses now… very impressive shot!

Plenty of room for a birds to hop inside modern wheel designs and let the owners know what they think  

• Thanks 1

Remutaka run for lunch in Masterton, the thirsty old-timer cruised over the hill, autobox did well.  Stunning day here 🌞 

7F77587A-FD1E-4B39-A718-4DD28CB1F31E.jpeg

461D4A03-698E-476E-BA1A-CE6EE080D13D.jpeg

808770DA-A7D4-4C61-8404-0D347D80646A.jpeg

• Like 6

@E28E30 So clean!! The iS / SE bodykit is so classy.

You and @adro need a joint photoshoot 😎

9 minutes ago, Sammo said:

That’s a great idea @adro thanks Sam @Sammo, I try not to get it wet.  Adro’s will make mine look skyscraper tall hehe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sammo said:

Yeah we need to do that this year! 

• Like 2

On our South Island roadie, down to Whataroa outside of Franz on the coast and had the rear air bags go. No warning just total loss of air. Had about 15ks to run at 40ks tops. 
Got it shipped back to BMW ChCh while we had to loan a car backup to Greymouth for a rental … yippee. Happy holidays 

4B419805-A7C0-483D-A8A2-C22960524127.jpeg

E3AF6F3E-9DD3-4C56-87E1-0E2CFFFE6891.jpeg

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, E28E30 said:

That’s awful luck @Breaker, lovely car

Cheers, yeah the $1200 transport hurts a bit with another $1500 for a replacement rental, but at least the cars under warranty so that’ll be $500 excess. Just push on with the holiday !

Makes me appreciate the 7 when you’ve done a few hundred kms in an outlander, yawn 

• Like 1

Bloody thing went full euro yesterday and failed to start when leaving Mitre10

i8BaKHm.jpg

Turns out it was the perfect storm, which resulted in the DME taking a face full of water when i parked nose up in the carpark. Removed and cleaned the DME and seems to be running fine now.

• Like 1

Replaced the hedgehog in the M5 after the interior fan developed a mind of its own. Impressive that it’s the original one from 1999.

4B45636E-CEE0-4284-BF24-40A97A08B3D3.jpegB519EE7F-265D-42B4-8D14-D54BE75D95A3.jpeg

• Like 3

got one of these in my 530i - lovely wheel 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hunter said:

got one of these in my 530i - lovely wheel 

Yeah so nice! I didn’t realise how worn my old one was until I felt the new one!