Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Speed tolerance this weekend...

I spotted a few last night, radar detector was very vocal lol

Didn't see any today though

They mostly hunt at night; mostly.

Radars always good, but was no help to me yesterday when i had no idea that the tolerance was down this weekend :unsure:

So every person who is involved in a crash, be it fatal or not, is somehow the fault of the Police?

What a joke.

Maybe you don't read the news. Cops have put a 4km tolerance on speed limits and were aiming for zero deaths to prove that speed is the reason why we have these deaths. If you read what I am saying and not what you think I'm saying, you will see that I support driver education rather than this 100% effort on speeders.

Driver fatigue far outweighs speed as a cause for crashes. Euro ad campaigns target this area and yet there is minimal if any ads directed at fatigue in NZ. I can only assume that it`s all about the revenue (how do you ticket a tired driver) that speed tickets generate.

E90 M3 I`m in full agreement. Let`s get some decent driver education happening for our next generation.

E90 M3 I`m in full agreement. Let`s get some decent driver education happening for our next generation.

+1 I can't complain that it was so easy to get my learners but I know it should be harder and we need to be taught properly from the start. Don't think most of the next gen has the luxury of doing defensive driving courses that some of us benefit from.

You think yours was easy...man, you should have seen the one i took 15 years ago.

What a joke it was, 10 questions i had to tick, 3 verbal questions and i think i only had to get 7 and 2 verbal to pass lol

I don't think education is neccessarily the key but a combination of that and actual driving experience would benefit all.

I would bet none of us were great drivers when we were youger and had the dings and bumps too learn from, i think the big difference now is how many cars/high power cars are on the road and how many L plates and restricted own their own cars as opposed to 10-15 years ago which just multiplies those dings and bumps.

Edited by cliffdunedin

Driver fatigue far outweighs speed as a cause for crashes. Euro ad campaigns target this area and yet there is minimal if any ads directed at fatigue in NZ.

This,

Play that reaction testing game at different times of the day. I got worse as I got tired(er) Would be worse if you were doing a full day of driving.

To reduce the holiday road toll to zero during Christmas New Year period this year we have decided on a way to best achieve this goal.

Any form of motorised transport will therefore be banned from midnight 24 December until 6am 3 January. Anyone caught being in control of a motorised transport will face 30 days jail and a $10,000 fine. The ban will extend to ride-on mowers, any type of scooters.

With this tough approach to stop the needless waste of life on our road, we hope that this Christmas will bring joy and happiness to all.

^LOL

I agree that better driving training when you are learning is the best approach.

Someone going 110km/hr is less dangerous than someone that is tired or a bad driver IMO.

I think we need something like driver training when you get your learners like motorbike licences and when you get your full you go through another test to teach you how to brake heavily on slippery roads etc.

THIS would decrease the amount of deaths of our roads.

My 2c

Edited by AJ_D

To reduce the holiday road toll to zero during Christmas New Year period this year we have decided on a way to best achieve this goal.

Any form of motorised transport will therefore be banned from midnight 24 December until 6am 3 January. Anyone caught being in control of a motorised transport will face 30 days jail and a $10,000 fine. The ban will extend to ride-on mowers, any type of scooters.

With this tough approach to stop the needless waste of life on our road, we hope that this Christmas will bring joy and happiness to all.

Spot on!

So now the road toll is 5. Does this "speed focus" give drivers a false sense of what is killing NZers on the road?

Lets hope there are no more.

On a short 3km drive yesterday saw two cars run red light and one d*head almost took me out when he tried to move into my lane without realising that I was next to him. All this was in the city where you can't drive more than 40kmh anyway. So I guess the government's message is "drive slower and if you hit someone because of your own stupidity at least you have less chance of injuring someone". Ridiculous.

Unless a tougher driver testing system is introduced there isn't going to be much change unfortunately.

All this 4km/h speed tolerance rubbish has done is make everybody drive at 80km/h on the motorway, wagging their heads left to right trying to look for police. It's hardly made the roads any safer.

Obviously speed has an effect on crashes, as does reaction time, driver experience, driver state of consciousness, road condition, car condition etc etc.

I just hate how police / government seem to think speeding is the only reason people crash, and that fining people for minor speeding offences is the silver bullet on road deaths.

Oh wow what a shock! We impose a 4km/h tolerance for speeding on the roads! People still died even though there is a possibility of a $60 fine!

What a joke.

Thats how I see it, making people drive slower makes it more frustrating. Especially if there is no passing lanes and/or all lanes are full & slow.

Went out back ways of cambridge yesterday to my partners brothers sons 2nd bday. The roads were empty due to being roads that take you to farms only, not highways or anything. Was awesome, drove at 120-130k and no worries cos nice roads, no traffic, sunny day & no cops (my partners primera, not my E30). As soon as we got back on to highways, 90ks... STUPID!

Got to Tamehere straight and this idiot (all the way from Cambridge was going 80-90) then sped up to 110 at Tamahere... was a young guy, so I flew past, then done it to him (80-90, about 3 times) then stayed at 110 (see how he likes it). Then he went flying past me, about 160ks. Idiots like him are what cos crashes.

And that was my exciting day driving yesterday.

Thats how I see it, making people drive slower makes it more frustrating. Especially if there is no passing lanes and/or all lanes are full & slow.

or they close the passing lanes because, "it helps the flow of traffic"

no you morons, it makes people who want to drive at the speed limit so frustrated because some munter is doing 60 to 70kph on the friggen motorway

ps. I got stuck behind a cop last night doing under 80kph on the motorway

that's 80kph on my speedo, which is probably 5 to 8kph too high, so more likely travelling a touch over 70kph in reality

if only I had cop lights so I could've pulled him over

however, I did take his plate number and will be lodging it on https://forms.police.govt.nz/forms/online-c...dwatch-report/9 so hopefully they get the message

Idiots like him are what cos crashes.

And what makes your actions any better.?How would you have felt if he had had an accident performing that manouvre?

or they close the passing lanes because, "it helps the flow of traffic"

no you morons, it makes people who want to drive at the speed limit so frustrated because some munter is doing 60 to 70kph on the friggen motorway

ps. I got stuck behind a cop last night doing under 80kph on the motorway

that's 80kph on my speedo, which is probably 5 to 8kph too high, so more likely travelling a touch over 70kph in reality

if only I had cop lights so I could've pulled him over

however, I did take his plate number and will be lodging it on https://forms.police.govt.nz/forms/online-c...dwatch-report/9 so hopefully they get the message

if you know he was going 80 why didnt you pass him?

Was awesome, drove at 120-130k and no worries cos nice roads, no traffic, sunny day & no cops (my partners primera, not my E30). Idiots like him me are what cos crashes.

And that was my exciting day driving yesterday.

Some stories are best left un-told.

if you know he was going 80 why didnt you pass him?

I guess I could've crossed the double yellow lines and played chicken with on-coming traffic

I guess I could've crossed the double yellow lines and played chicken with on-coming traffic

EH you said you were on the motorway ! Edited by kiwi535

was dropping a mate off yesterday after going to the manukau car show.

out on cascades rd in pakuranga there is a little bridge you drive over ( with a open walkway and stream underneeth ) a old toyota managed to drive over the curb and roll down the little bank. about 5m from the water.

didnt get any pics tho

Guest Ari Gold

450 or so K's done this weekend. Total of two cops seen on SH1.

Not a single cop for 30k's either side of the boat that had jumped its trailer near Te Hana either <_<

Pack of revenue gathering thieves!

Invest in some cheap insurance ( good radar detector ) only way to defeat this crap. for yourself at least

Pretty much a waste of money these days - when it goes off means they just got you.

I don't understand how anybody can argue with this kind of thing or call it revenue gathering.

It is a speed LIMIT, not a target so even if you're going 1 KM over the limit, you're breaking the law! Just don't speed, simple as that. If your speedometer is genuinely calibrated incorrectly then sure you have a leg to stand on, otherwise suck it up and obey the limit.

I could never debate a speeding ticket. If I'm caught speeding, I know I've broken the LAW and accept the consequences as they come. Man up people.

I don't understand how anybody can argue with this kind of thing or call it revenue gathering.

It is a speed LIMIT, not a target so even if you're going 1 KM over the limit, you're breaking the law! Just don't speed, simple as that. If your speedometer is genuinely calibrated incorrectly then sure you have a leg to stand on, otherwise suck it up and obey the limit.

I could never debate a speeding ticket. If I'm caught speeding, I know I've broken the LAW and accept the consequences as they come. Man up people.

No one disagrees with you. So what has this thread been about?

Simple. Police resources are so stretched that if someone walks up to you and steals your car, the police will get to it in a few days. Maybe they will never do anything about it.

Yet, it appears that when there is money to be made, they are out in force.