Sign in to follow this  
SRacin

NZ 540iS 6 Speed Manual - Technoviolet

Hi All.

Quick introduction and a pic or two of this amazing machine. Have had the car for nearly a month now and apart from a few minor issues is amazing! I hope to edit this post with more photos etc as I get around to it. I have all the factory documentation etc to go with the car and will share this as it becomes digitised.

Cheers

post-6315-1290211509.jpg

post-6315-1290213294.jpg

post-6315-1290213311.jpg

Options List

299 Technoviolet metallic

199 No catalyst

214 ASC + Traction

255 3 spoke sport steering wheel

274 wheels cast ….

302 alarm

339 Shadowline

401 Power sunroof

431 Auto anti-dazzle interior mirror

438 WOOD TRIM

459 Power seats with memory

481 sports seats

498 Head rests in rear

534 Automatic air con

548 Kilometer speedometer

676 Hi Fi loudspeaker

687 Radio/CD

704 M sport suspension

806 3rd brake light

818 Main battery switch(for transport)

850 Fuel for export

925 Shipping protect package

Edited by SRacin
  • Like 3

Nice car! Any plans for the future?

Apart from driving it and enjoying it not a huge amount. I would like to have the windows tinted, black leather can get VERY hot. I would also like some nice 18" wheels for it. Someing like som BBS LM's or RC090's.

I brought the car off the orginal owner and it has only done 97,000k's now. I did have ideas of fitting a tow bar and using it to tow my race car around the country but I dont think I can bring myself to do it. I just cannot see me chucking a jack and spare tyres etc etc in the back of it. So apart from wheels and tints and fixing the pesky tail light error message and fixing or replacing the stock cd stacker not much. Have so far had both front seats apart to fix the cables.

I do plan on doing a few laps around ruapuna in it at some stage. I have spent abit of time out there and do not think can keep the car away from the track since I live 10mins away. :) Taking bets on laptimes ? (for reference i can pedal my 4age corolla around in 1.39's).

Cheers

Logan

I would like to have the windows tinted, black leather can get VERY hot.

Cheers

Logan

get a decent windscreen sunshade and leave the sunroof tilted up

Posted Image

i have some nice 18" m par wheels for sale .

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

get a decent windscreen sunshade and leave the sunroof tilted up

Not a fan of the tints?

Haha glad to see you finally got it mate :)! Can't wait to battle you on the Ruapuna straight.

Believe me, you got a GREAT deal.

Try and come to the Chch BBQ meet tomorrow.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....32542&st=45

As for the wheels...

Your car + winning this auction =

Posted Image

Edited by crazyarab

Not a fan of the tints?

not reallly but you still need to stop the sun shining in through the windscreen.Leaving the sunroof tilted lets the air circulate a bit too

Haha glad to see you finally got it mate :)! Can't wait to battle you on the Ruapuna straight.

Believe me, you got a GREAT deal.

Try and come to the Chch BBQ meet tomorrow.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....32542&st=45

As for the wheels...

Your car + winning this auction =

Posted Image

Yea that does look pretty cool! 275 tyres are very wide! I dont know much about offsetts etc and what will fit without having to attack the guards. Im nt interested in rolling the guards /lips or whatever.

Also I have read somehwere about needing different hub centric rings?

Yea that does look pretty cool! 275 tyres are very wide! I dont know much about offsetts etc and what will fit without having to attack the guards. Im nt interested in rolling the guards /lips or whatever.

Also I have read somehwere about needing different hub centric rings?

dont know what the max width is but hubcentric rings are required if you get wheels that are direct fit for the E39.The e39 has a hub of 74.1mm and just about every other 5,6,7, or 8 series BMW has a 72.5 mm hub.A lot of aftermarket BMW wheels will have the larger hub diameter.You need to make up the difference and although a movement of about .75 of a mmm seems inconsequential it will almost certainly cause a shimmy

in the front suspension

Here is some info on e34 wheel fitment.You have to be careful with wheel and tyre sizes.Firstly to retain the proper speedo reading and secondly to prevent abs problems.The abs compares the wheel speeds between front and rear.if you use "wrong" sized tyres you could trigger an abs fault

Edited by kiwi535

dont know what the max width is but hubcentric rings are required if you get wheels that are direct fit for the E39.The e39 has a hub of 74.1mm and just about every other 5,6,7, or 8 series BMW has a 72.5 mm hub.A lot of aftermarket BMW wheels will have the larger hub diameter.You need to make up the difference and although a movement of about .75 of a mmm seems inconsequential it will almost certainly cause a shimmy

in the front suspension

Here is some info on e34 wheel fitment.You have to be careful with wheel and tyre sizes.Firstly to retain the proper speedo reading and secondly to prevent abs problems.The abs compares the wheel speeds between front and rear.if you use "wrong" sized tyres you could trigger an abs fault

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I missed out on Brents mpars so will keep looking. At least I mostly know what I am looking for now.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I missed out on Brents mpars so will keep looking. At least I mostly know what I am looking for now.

Hey all. Found these things for sale on TM.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=342020894

From the wheel offset calculation linked in wheels section they are;

Fronts;

655 mm (25.8'')

1 mm (0.2%) taller.

Package is 5 mm (0.2'') closer to suspension/brakes components. Acceptable for most cars.

Package will stick out 15 mm (0.6'') farther. Acceptable for most cars

Rears;

649 mm (25.6'') 5 mm (0.8%) shorter.

Package will stick out 20 mm (0.8'') farther.

Package is 30 mm (1.2'') closer to suspension/brakes components.

What do people think about fitment based on their experience? I supose I will accept opinions on style also :D

Cheers

Welcome mate.

A very desirable car you have there!

Glad to see even the ducks had to take a gander. :P

Wow, 10 Years on, and still shines up ok. 

Just had a major 25th birthday and is the best its ever been in my ownership, I would say it drives pretty much like new.  All new suspension and steering, including Bilstein's.  Lots of servicing, all leaks fixed, hpc coated cam covers, diff seals, subframe bushes, etc,  the list really does just go on and on.  FCP have been great!

20200926_081719 2 (Large).jpg

20200926_081742 (Large).jpg

20200926_081751 (Large).jpg

Edited by SRacin
  • Like 14

I was expecting a random thread dig post from a new overseas member but was pleasantly surprised. Haha

• Like 1

Is this one of three Technoviolet 540is in NZ or is there more? @Herbmiester new one, Simon's ex one - NZ new, grey leather 400,000km+ and yours?

To me these spec E34's 540i's the closest thing BMW built to a traditional muscle car.

• Like 2

Its still looking great. Do you have a pic of the engine bay, and of the hpc coating?

19 hours ago, Eagle said:

Is this one of three Technoviolet 540is in NZ or is there more? @Herbmiester new one, Simon's ex one - NZ new, grey leather 400,000km+ and yours?

To me these spec E34's 540i's the closest thing BMW built to a traditional muscle car.

Yup one of 3. @justin_540is has the other one in Christchurch (ex Simon).  Would be cool to get them all together one day.

18 hours ago, zero said:

Its still looking great. Do you have a pic of the engine bay, and of the hpc coating?

The HPC coating is great, durable, and looks ok once installed, but it was a drama to get them done.  Oil kept leaking out of them in the oven and took many goes for HP to get the oil burnt off.  The factory paint hides all the casting defects, which the HPC coating does not.  If I was to do it again, I would get them stripped, then spend a few hours sanding / polishing out the casting marks and corrosion as much as possible before getting them coated.  Reality is 90% of them are hidden under covers anyway.

20201019_085308 (Large).jpg

• Like 1

That looks awesome. Did you notice lower temps? I sanded mine back and painted them but it took about ten hours.

Looks stunning - I've seen this in ChCh a couple of times (unless there's another Techno Violet one on M-Pars!) - how many kms on it now?

Edited by paulo
spelling

13 hours ago, zero said:

That looks awesome. Did you notice lower temps? I sanded mine back and painted them but it took about ten hours.

Interesting point on the temps, nothing noticeable.  Was not really a consideration, I just wanted it to look stock without the flaky discoloured paint.

• Like 1