Sign in to follow this  
$toffz

Cheap Radar Detectors 1-day

I have no speeding fines. Only driving after 10pm on restricted license and rowdy exhaust. (was broken).

I have no speeding fines. Only driving after 10pm on restricted license and rowdy exhaust. (was broken).

Since we're all comparing our innocence, I've only had 1 driving fine full stop, doing 60 in a 50 on my way to school in 2007 ( I think) , just after I got my first e30 B)

I'm a sucker for accidental speed, have been paying for it too, i got caught a month ago whilst i had a V1 detector, all it took was for the cop to flick his rader on then off way way in the distance, the V1 forward arrow lit up then went off, by then it was too late. So that's how they are not bullet proof, they are when the cops rader are on all the time but usaully they're not.

Do the crime do the time.

I'm a sucker for accidental speed, have been paying for it too, i got caught a month ago whilst i had a V1 detector, all it took was for the cop to flick his rader on then off way way in the distance, the V1 forward arrow lit up then went off, by then it was too late. So that's how they are not bullet proof, they are when the cops rader are on all the time but usaully they're not.

Do the crime do the time.

I know with the stealth detectors they sense when the Police has his radar set on pulse (which means their radar pulses on off etc which catches out the majority of radar fitted cars but how many of these cars have the real good stuff fitted) the Bell StiR's and all the stealth high class detectors will pick up on the on off signal and warn the driver asap.

I've only been driving for a couple of years now but if I speed its in Dad's car and its saved me every time. But to be honest, Im always on the look out, it comes with driving a race car every day ( don't want to draw attention ) but on the motor way I check when passing 'on ramps', gaps in the bush ( camera cars ), if I see a commodore/maxima I don't speed or I slow down from 110 to 100 etc.

I know most of us with E30's etc need not worry with the good stuff but those with properly quick cars, lets face it this is the safest insurance.

Edited by Young Jack

The police officer said he switched it on and then off assuming i had a radar, smart thinking he was, V1's are the only radar detector that don't go off every second, mines only ever made noise when there has been an officer in the area.

See now I just don't speed, seems to work, and is the cheapest option

I know with the stealth detectors they sense when the Police has his radar set on pulse (which means their radar pulses on off etc which catches out the majority of radar fitted cars but how many of these cars have the real good stuff fitted) the Bell StiR's and all the stealth high class detectors will pick up on the on off signal and warn the driver asap.

No.

A "stealth" detector is one that is shielded from radar detector detectors that some cops in the US use.

"Pulse radar", or more correctly instant-on radar, does not send out a stream of pulses but allows the operator to choose when to send out a radar beam.

All detectors will pick up the ground pulse (residual radar output while the unit is in standby) if it is strong enough.

The latest POP radar units have no standby mode, so no ground pulse but have other problems like instability from cold startup that affects their accuracy.

AFAIK POP is not used in NZ.

Edited by oldtimer

i drive between 110 and 120 everywhere, i have no radar, i have no fines, and i am careful about where i speed. why spend money on a radar????

It's not an if but when Oli, i used to do and think the same thing until i got taken off my pedistool, i no longer have my V1 as i have grown up a bit, i still love speed and driving fast but there is a time and place.

I know it's a when but when it happens I will just take it on the chin as that's what u get when u go fast.

I know it's a when but when it happens I will just take it on the chin as that's what u get when u go fast.

So why not put that money towards a decent radar detector?

Each to their own, I just hate the feeling of paying money for nothing..

I'm running a Beltronics Professional hard wired to front grille and rear bumpers and with jammers installed for when you really want to play up. I've had the cheaper ones a few years back and wouldn't go back.

Play it safe boys.

Get a proper radar =)

Auckland to Christchurch. Fines: $0 Although the Pic below was just a one off and it was a very long truck.....

For passing cars and rolling along at 115 ( I'm sure you all do a little bit more ) etc Just take the blow and get one of these.

post-5250-1301825003.jpg

Edited by Young Jack

Play it safe boys.

Get a proper radar =)

Auckland to Christchurch. Fines: $0 Although the Pic below was just a one off and it was a very long truck.....

why isn't the white flag light on.

Play it safe boys.

Get a proper radar =)

"Play it safe" Followed by a pic of 170kph on a public road? I don't care how long the truck is, thats not safe. Keep it on the track Jack, thats the whole point in owning a racecar.

"Play it safe" Followed by a pic of 170kph on a public road? I don't care how long the truck is, thats not safe. Keep it on the track Jack, thats the whole point in owning a racecar.

Its more round 125 Paul.... Wasn't me driving. Hences it being me taking the photo mate.....

Just a little smart ass comment to put a rest to the argument. Cheap Radars hold just as much risk as going without one at all...

Edited by Young Jack

Its more round 125 Paul.... Wasn't me driving. Hences it being me taking the photo mate.....

Just a little smart ass comment to put a rest to the argument. Cheap Radars hold just as much risk as going without one at all...

Sorry, mis-read.. Still dodgy but can be required sometimes I guess. Although I'd be lying if I said I hadnt done that occasionally in my Subaru.

See now I just don't speed, seems to work, and is the cheapest option

Yes you do.

Whether it be creeping 10km/h over the limit on the motorway, or down some deserted side street, or not slowing to 50kph exactly at the point of the 50 limit sign, or accelerating up to the 100kph limit just before you leave the 70kph zone in a rural area, you speed.

Saying 'I don't speed' if you justify yourself by saying "no I mean speeding, like 20 or 30 kph over the limit, what I do isn't real speeding", well the cops zero tolerance policy for holiday weekends would clearly disagree with that.

Everybody speeds, the police know this and quite clearly target people in areas where "unobservant speeding", i.e. people not paying attention to their speed and allowing themselves to go over the limit, is prevalent and, regardless of if you think this is revenue collecting or not, a detector allows you to be warned of their presence and adjust your speed accordingly.

The purpose of the penalty points and fine are to get you to slow down, if a radar detector does the same job, I don't see any issue.

Yes you do.

Whether it be creeping 10km/h over the limit on the motorway, or down some deserted side street, or not slowing to 50kph exactly at the point of the 50 limit sign, or accelerating up to the 100kph limit just before you leave the 70kph zone in a rural area, you speed.

Saying 'I don't speed' if you justify yourself by saying "no I mean speeding, like 20 or 30 kph over the limit, what I do isn't real speeding", well the cops zero tolerance policy for holiday weekends would clearly disagree with that.

Everybody speeds, the police know this and quite clearly target people in areas where "unobservant speeding", i.e. people not paying attention to their speed and allowing themselves to go over the limit, is prevalent and, regardless of if you think this is revenue collecting or not, a detector allows you to be warned of their presence and adjust your speed accordingly.

The purpose of the penalty points and fine are to get you to slow down, if a radar detector does the same job, I don't see any issue.

Bit of a thread dig, but well said

And wrong. When i say i dont speed I mean i dont speed. Its called paying attention when your driving and not letting your mind (and speed!) wander...

^ trips in the suby lead me to think other wise paul. ^_^

Edit: Anymore ;)

We didnt speed in that... much...

Helis on the other hand :ph34r:

Um, gotta add my story here! i'm gunner get one if I ever go on a long haul again, I don't spped around town, maybe 140 at night on the freeway, if it's quiet...

But last year I drove from south of Perth to Onslow, 1500km's in 12 hours.

I only exceeded the speed limit a couple of times, all the way from Geraldton to Carnarvon, then there to Onslow...

180-200km/h. long desert roads..

BUT I GOT CAUGHT a few weeks later, 167km/h just cruising from Onslow to Karratha, cop car behind a road train. then the same cops, same place on the way home 127km/h, cos I saw them...

$1000 fine, impounded 28 days, They let me drive back to Onslow! 6 month disqualification.

valentine 2 Is about $1000 or close.

But the coppers here are using lasers now.

They are charging about $1600 from memory for a set of reversing sensors mounted by your No. plates to block the laser!

The old radar guns and speed cameras are being pushed out to regional WA, country towns, the lasers are for the flash cops in the city.

Now they are introducing cameras under overpasses which time your journey, if you come in under time, you get a fine!

Just nail it after the last overpass and take the next off ramp, if I wasn't a responsible mature age driver..

Cheap radar detectors, no such thing, plenty of videos on ewe tube etc doing comparisons, handy thing called the interweb, they do all the research for you. Me I'm not gunner bother!