Sign in to follow this  
FrazAtak

Cant get e30 to start

My 320i e30 is having problems starting, I have replaced all sparks, leads etc. replaced relays and fuel pump. Any ideas what I else I could look at? Its ticking over like it almost wants to start but just doesn't quite get there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

My 320i e30 is having problems starting, I have replaced all sparks, leads etc. replaced relays and fuel pump. Any ideas what I else I could look at? Its ticking over like it almost wants to start but just doesn't quite get there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Fuel? :banghead:

There are only 3 things it can be....Spark, fuel and compression. I would turn it over with a spark plug on the block and make sure it sparks. Then take the hose off the fuel rail and turn it over and see if fuel sprays all over the place (put it in a bottle if you don't enjoy this), if both of those check out put a compression gauge on each cylinder to see if it has compression.

Other than that you could keep taking wild stabs in the dark :D

you need to check if you have spark at the spark plug leads when cranking

,if there is then start looking at fuel problems ?? like fuel pump or fuel pump relay etc

try starting it with engine start and if it runs , then maybe you hav no fuel getting in.

Spark, fuel, air, compression and timing are the 5 things needed.

As above, check fuel delivery at fuel rail, and spark at plug, if you have both those, you can check compression and timing, also check the cam belt isn't stripped or broke?

you need to check if you have spark at the spark plug leads when cranking

,if there is then start looking at fuel problems ?? like fuel pump or fuel pump relay etc

try starting it with engine start and if it runs , then maybe you hav no fuel getting in.

It has a spark and have tested fuel (sprayed out). I assumed it would be the relay but have just changed that also and still cant get it started. If it does start (once in a blue moon) it will only be the first time I try for the day. Once it is off again and I try to start it for the second time, it wont start

Spark, fuel, air, compression and timing are the 5 things needed.

As above, check fuel delivery at fuel rail, and spark at plug, if you have both those, you can check compression and timing, also check the cam belt isn't stripped or broke?

Ok, thanks, so how do I check compression? Cam belt should be fine- Just replaced a few months ago.

That's the most unlikely I would guess, take the oil cap off and check the cam's turning when you crank the engine. The other obvious thing could be the dissy cap or rotor, you say you did the leads, did the cap and rotor get done too?

Replaced dissy and rotor when I did cam belt a few months back. Guess I'll just keep playing around til something works haha. Appreciate the input guys :)

How's it run when it's going, and has it been like this since you did the cambelt, or a new problem?

also check the plugs , are they fowled up ??

crank with one spark plug out and plug it in , do you get strong spark and fuel spitting out of the spark plug hole??

Cheers

I had this issue with my 320i went over all relays, got fuel, got spark etc. Turned out to be the Air Flow Meter, i was told the circuits are proned to failure in them causing bad connections and making the car hard/impossible to start. I got mine running without one by taking off the intake boot and leaving the afm connected. Cranked it over and it started ok. Just had vaccum leaks etc from the pipe hanging loose. Was about $80 for a replacement unit, well worth a go :)

I had this issue with my 320i went over all relays, got fuel, got spark etc. Turned out to be the Air Flow Meter, i was told the circuits are proned to failure in them causing bad connections and making the car hard/impossible to start. I got mine running without one by taking off the intake boot and leaving the afm connected. Cranked it over and it started ok. Just had vaccum leaks etc from the pipe hanging loose. Was about $80 for a replacement unit, well worth a go :)

Had the same issue with my 320 - all it was was the rotor - replaced with a new one and problem solved .

Cheers.

If you bothered to read the sticked threads you would see an excellent guide with images on how to trace starting issues with E30's