Sign in to follow this  
fred_

German Plates Success

Hey Guys,

So 3 years ago I bought the blue german D plates and got pulled over within the first month of having them.

This time round I have the NZ Black Fern copies which a few of you also have on here.

I would like to know how much luck/trouble you guys have had with these as they are much harder to spot obviously.

they are actually pretty obvious. It really depends on the cop. I would say instead of risking the fines just pay up the money for the plates if your inclined. get caught twice? that's about the cost of the real set. imo. My mate had them on his bmw for a little while got a few warnings before he ended up going back to his originals until he got the money to get real ones.

I've had the silver on black Germans on the front for 4 months and have been stopped once.

Cop was a GC B) and just gave a friendly warning letting me know they were now illegal.

I've got the euro black plate replicas - had them for about a year now without issues, then again my car hardly moves from the garage.

I seen a euro plate on a Landcruiser and Honda Jazz the other day :ph34r:

Edited by The Diesel Guy

There are cops in Auckland who can spot them.

I was pulled over in my E36 with them on, he said was targeting cars without legal plates and knew about the German plate reps. I was given 14days to swap back to get off my fine and demerits.

Outside of AKL I imagine your less likely to be pinged. Its only a matter of time before you do though.

In an attempt to stay legit, I phoned Personalised Plates the other day to see how much it was to reprint my plate: cost $25.00, so I asked about Euro plates and was asked which colour blue or black? As my car is black, I said 'black" and was told they would cost $399.00. I queried this cost and why it cost 16 times the price for an extra 5 inches of aluminium and was told Euro plates were a "luxury" plate. What the f**k is luxurious about a sheet of painted Aluminium? I was then asked what sort of car I drove, I said BMW and was told that I could have the plates with "BMW" logo on them for $499.00. When I told the stupid woman that it was robbery, I was told that 'if I can afford a BMW then I can afford their "luxury" plates'.

The conversation ended when I asked if 'Personalised Plates' was now part of the Addidas group because they were both ripping off the public of New Zealand.

In an attempt to stay legit, I phoned Personalised Plates the other day to see how much it was to reprint my plate: cost $25.00, so I asked about Euro plates and was asked which colour blue or black? As my car is black, I said 'black" and was told they would cost $399.00. I queried this cost and why it cost 16 times the price for an extra 5 inches of aluminium and was told Euro plates were a "luxury" plate. What the f**k is luxurious about a sheet of painted Aluminium? I was then asked what sort of car I drove, I said BMW and was told that I could have the plates with "BMW" logo on them for $499.00. When I told the stupid woman that it was robbery, I was told that 'if I can afford a BMW then I can afford their "luxury" plates'.

The conversation ended when I asked if 'Personalised Plates' was now part of the Addidas group because they were both ripping off the public of New Zealand.

Well done on the convo sir, couldn't have done it any better myself.

But seriously, it really is robbery charging that kind of money for "luxury". Makes me so angry! >:[

I just run the euro on the front as I my front was mangled and it was cheaper to replace via german plates but still run the standard plate on the back. I would assume this would be safe enough to run as it's the back plate that cops will be seeing not the front.

I just run the euro on the front as I my front was mangled and it was cheaper to replace via german plates but still run the standard plate on the back. I would assume this would be safe enough to run as it's the back plate that cops will be seeing not the front.

I'm doing this - running my German plate up front but my normal one at the back.

There are cops in Auckland who can spot them.

I was pulled over in my E36 with them on, he said was targeting cars without legal plates and knew about the German plate reps. I was given 14days to swap back to get off my fine and demerits.

Outside of AKL I imagine your less likely to be pinged. Its only a matter of time before you do though.

And by targeting these so called illegal plates they identifiy them sleves as complete wankers. Wouldn't it be nice if our police had better things to do than ensure the NZPlates monopoly continutes to be able extort those of us with European cars and who want European style plates.

have never been pulled for mine, and have been pulled over/breathchecks/whatnot countless times. I have the ones with the ferns on all the cars ive had, and been using them for 18 months at least

i hear that the fine is around the 200 mark... id rather take the gamble and wait till i get stopped twice before i regret the fact i didnt get legit ones

Can you some how make the plates legit? Because the plate i got from Germany is different to what my actual plate is? I really want to put those P-plates on but thats looking for even more trouble?

Haha Josh. Has this not been spoken about enough?

I see its time for this twice yearly debate again.

So recently I got a speeding ticket. Should I pay this, or should I write a letter about it? Also is it hard to turbo my E30 engine and how much will it cost? Does anyone know why the forum is displayed funny also - I have like a list in front of me instead of each comment, how can I fix this?

So recently I got a speeding ticket. Should I pay this, or should I write a letter about it? Also is it hard to turbo my E30 engine and how much will it cost? Does anyone know why the forum is displayed funny also - I have like a list in front of me instead of each comment, how can I fix this?

ctrl alt delete will get ya sorted mate.

Let me tackle this one question at a time --

So recently I got a speeding ticket. Should I pay this, or should I write a letter about it?

You should try a letter. The great feeling of dis-appointment with the generic random select reply is priceless

Also is it hard to turbo my E30 engine and how much will it cost?

This video says no ...

about $150 if you do it yourself

Does anyone know why the forum is displayed funny also - I have like a list in front of me instead of each comment, how can I fix this?

mspaint .. if that fails below is quite a neat trick too.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=27622

I'm intrigued that you all are of the opinion that they won't notice front plates... Every time I've been stopped has been cause they've seen the front plates, 4 times from memory.

A couple at the front of the queue at traffic lights, and a couple when they've passed on the road.

Its a very rare occurrence that a cop actually follows right behind you anyway. The one or two times I can recall a cop following me they haven't even noticed.

Not having a go, just was interested. :)

Haha Josh. Has this not been spoken about enough?

Just because you or other older members have spoken about it does not mean other newer members know anything about those previous topics!

My main issue with pplates is how crap the quality is!

A previous thread i put up shows what you get for $1000 and is one of the reasons i have considered getting German plates.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....&hl=pplates

Not really much incentive...apart from the legality thing!

hi there i have had the red uk euro plates on my 323i and they complained about them on the front and rear said i just had to change front back . my mate runs a standard front plate and custom rear which just says v8grunt with flames on the rear, i think by law you just need one front nz govt. plate as they tried to fine him but could not because of some loop hold in law.i managed to pick up a set of n.z euro personal plates of t/m for my coupe so dont need to worry about mr plod now..think there was a firm that makes euro plates in chch just with your own number for around $200 that are legal,thats if they are still there?

I know someone who got pulled over and hit up for hVing mis-matched plates. (euro at the front standard at the back ). I was surprised this is an issue.

Gambler say roll with copies!

So whens the next group order? Need some for the audi haha