Sign in to follow this  
_Matt_

E28 535i Project

good idea, maybe I could place the rear on my sleepers and jack up the front. That way the car will be level and I could get underneath too. No new carpet, just thoroughly cleaned the old stuff. Is it even possible to find new carpet? All the stock underlay had a rubber over the top so i followed suit. Plus the LAST thing id want is for something to spill and soak into the foam.

Feel kinda sad the the 525 is getting destroyed

That's long gone, it was a heap. UK import, the whole chassis was riddled with rust. The engine wasn't any better :)

Edited by _Matt_

good idea, maybe I could place the rear on my sleepers and jack up the front. That way the car will be level and I could get underneath too. No new carpet, just thoroughly cleaned the old stuff. Is it even possible to find new carpet? All the stock underlay had a rubber over the top so i followed suit. Plus the LAST thing id want is for something to spill and soak into the foam.

That's long gone, it was a heap. UK import, the whole chassis was riddled with rust. The engine wasn't any better :)

i feel better, the 525 LOOKED alright!.The carpets looked very good after the clean then!

HEY! You have the same safety boots as I do! :lol:

The work is looking awesome too B)

• Like 1

wtf ... how'd I miss this build. Love the detail in the photos. Good stuff for going for it. Cant wait too see it all in and loving the painting etc.

having the rear higher would allow less angle on the engine but having the front low means the gearbox end is more likely to hit the floor.

as with everything you need two good mates to help. one to be useful and the other to drink your beer

• Like 2

Thanks for reminding me to catch up with this project Matt. You have done an amazing job.

(cue old man story) I have to say it does bring back some scary memories of when I and few mates changed a head gasket on a friend's Vauxhal VX490 back in 1975.... a reasonably straighforward job you'd think. The car ran for a few days after, before the engine blew. Maybe we should have saved the beers for after we finished? :)

While my patience wears thin waiting for the latest pelican parts order I decided to finished the last of the interior.

I got some kicker speakers for xmas with tweeters that protrude a heck of a lot less than the fusions that were in the car when I bought it.

however some spacers are still needed so I can keep the factory grills.

DSC_0615_zpsa0fac950.jpg

DSC_0613_zps77b4ae32.jpg

DSC_0619_zps24c8931d.jpg

not to bad I thought, a jigsaw isn't the most precise tool in the world.

DSC_0627_Small_zps74b4d591.jpg

Done. For all you know there are 1984 10watt Alpines behind these…then BAM! awesome sound quality emerges!

Edited by _Matt_
  • Like 1

cleaned (water blasted), repaired and re-undersealed the body, well the jack points and stone chips anyway.

the water blaster did wonders removing this oil and dirt

DSC_0639_zps034c90a7.jpg

DSC_0643_zpsdf2cf272.jpg

DSC_0641_zpsc1c00c51.jpg

DSC_0675_zps98f54d08.jpg

DSC_0680_zps96f68921.jpg

Last crucial parts arrived.

DSC_0839_zps27b0a535.jpg

DSC_0842_zps57cd9603.jpg

stock e28 shifter vs 1.9 Z3 shifter, i'm excited to feel the difference.

DSC_0836_zps09386309.jpg

all assembled and ready to slot in...

DSC_0865_zpse8ad03f8.jpg

I'm dropping in the engine tomorrow, wish me luck :)

Good luck bro! Its going to and feel like a brand new car.

Todays progress,

DSC_0872_zps966f505a.jpg

this was unexpected...

DSC_0881_zpse7baf7aa.jpg

DSC_0888_zpseb1029eb.jpg

DSC_0879_zps7331564a.jpg

this was quite literally 6 hours later, the engine was twisted and no one could figure out how to get it to rest on the mounts…had to get a mate over who's done a few engine swaps, he also supplied some 9 tone ratchets straps :) (stressful time, no photos)

DSC_0894_zps8cef04d9.jpg

DSC_0904_zps914b8087.jpg

DSC_0905_zps1f85ef4c.jpg

All in all it went well, no damage to the car getting it in and only a few tiny paint blemishers on the engine from rubbing etc. Now for all the fun stuff, hooking everything up...

• Like 1

Awesome stuff, good on you for doing all that cleaning (something I kinda wished I did, but *yolo*)

It's complete! What a stressful day. I started it thinking I would have to add coolant and oil and be on my way. However by mid afternoon the engine wouldn't start because of an electrical issue. After trouble shooting using the Bentley manual it seemed more and more like my loom was the problem (I started having visions of my car gathering dust and never seeing asphalt again) But after almost giving up I swapped out the master relay and boom started first pop. We created quite an entertaining video that I will post sometime :)

It desperately needs a tune, a repaint and a clean. Ill have a good sleep tonight.

post-4560-0-74092500-1389087675_thumb.jp

Congratulations Matt. What a relief. Like you I was starting to worry that it might be a 'broken' loom.

Wanna do mine next?

I'm not working on another broken car.

I have been following this and very much enjoying - well done - looking forward to your first drive (as you are too of course)

awesome work mate

Dont know about those saftery shoes, or having an expencive ass camera in the garage!

Also i had no idea BMWs were body colour underneath, its always hidden by road grime and oil etc.

But on a serious note, where did you get your spark leads from? they dont look like genuine BMW? do they have the spark sensor on them for cylinder 6 like M20s do or not? and also the "BMW" holder for them. Any help you could give me on that i would appreciate!

Keep up the good work, i cant wait to see this some day, and i promise i will make a point of it too.

Great work dude, cant wait to see it rolling on the road.

On a side note, do you now live near Clarence St? I've seen you in a e34 a few times around there.

Edited by Gaz

awesome work mate

Dont know about those saftery shoes, or having an expencive ass camera in the garage!

Also i had no idea BMWs were body colour underneath, its always hidden by road grime and oil etc.

But on a serious note, where did you get your spark leads from? they dont look like genuine BMW? do they have the spark sensor on them for cylinder 6 like M20s do or not? and also the "BMW" holder for them. Any help you could give me on that i would appreciate!

Keep up the good work, i cant wait to see this some day, and i promise i will make a point of it too.

They were on the B34 from the beginning, they are made by Eagle and called the Eliminator series. They are all individual leads and are encased in a BMW leads holder which I assume you can only get second hand now, the one on my e34 is pretty much the same without the BMW logo.

Great work dude, cant wait to see it rolling on the road.

On a side note, do you now live near Clarence St? I've seen you in a e34 a few times around there.

Yep, in the Riccarton area now, E34 is the daily. Never seen you, what car do you drive? Edited by _Matt_

Yep, in the Riccarton area now, E34 is the daily. Never seen you, what car do you drive?

Ive got a e46 330ci. I used to see you most mornings on my way to work but Im usually half asleep so by the time I realise its you Ive gone passed haha

Ya should be really proud of what you've done there Matt - much like Andy with his V12 conversion, its just awesome to see guys hooking into stuff & giving it a proper nudge, rather than a half a$$ed limp-wristed attempt......... :)

Well done!!

A few months since I got this up and running now, I had a few concerns like steam coming from the exhaust, overheating, coolant level dropping every time i drove it which only points to one thing right?

well...

- the steam was actually all the water I got in the exhaust pipes when i water blasted the engine bay.

- it over heated because the system wasn't bled properly and the viscous clutch was only doing half a job, I replaced the clutch bled it about 3 times

- the coolant level was dropping because it was escaping from the expansion tank because the cap wasn't sealing properly.

Since I've fixed these things I haven't had any issues.

Before and after Pic:

post-4560-0-23056400-1397872538.jpg

post-4560-0-02212900-1397872558.jpg

please excuse the pod filter, I need to sand blast and paint the air box.

Nice, the red and black combo looks sweet too.

Just proves that if you hear hoofbeats, sometimes you aren't looking for horses.

Nice work dude!