Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Our new road rules- giving way

I got them all right :-) Bonus. Now I can roadrage and be justified when everybody gets it wrong, right?

Wasn't exactly rocket science but unfortunately people will consist on abiding by the old rules resulting in crashes, fights, both verbally and more than likely physically....this is NZ after all.

P.S For people doing this test, making it night time doesn't change the giveway rule. Just putting it out there.

Ive got BULLBARS......

This went round work the other day and I was amazed that the amount of people who did poorly. Eg 5 out of 9.

I'm a little scared for my life starting March 25th.

I lived in Australia for a few years so it's not that hard to actually apply IMO. One question though; WTF make it 5am cut off???

14/14 first try... not going to drive the week starting the 25th haha

christ, you dont want to know my score lol. i think i better up my insurance.

its a lot different between the birds-eye pictures and real life! that test is a lot more usefull though. i should do that a few more times i think. having never driven overseas which as i understand these rules already apply, its going to be hard to adapt!

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

it doesnt have the scenario: your turning right from a stop sign to a main road. and on the opposite side, a car is also turning to his right as well turning into the main road. (other car turning to main road to towards your left, your turning right to main road) who gives way?

Edited by Docile

it doesnt have the scenario: your turning right from a stop sign to a main road. and on the opposite side, a car is also turning to his right as well turning into the main road. (other car turning to main road to towards your left, your turning right to main road) who gives way?

No one gives way to anyone, as niether car crosses each others path (in theory). same as now

14/14 on the first go.

Just drive carefully during that first week of rule change.

Little bit of patience and respect goes a long way. Sadly, lots of drivers lacks one or the other and often both.

strange that i recognize all those intersections?

guess ive spent too much time near waikato uni

Just drive carefully during that first 25 years of rule change.

Fixed that for you!

The one where you pull Right out of an unsigned side road, as the other cars turns right pulling in off the "main" road: Under the old rules, the car on the main road was supposed to give way - did they EVER? I could have disposed of SO many cars that way!

The majority of NZ drivers think driving is a right, and don't know quite a few of the road rules, or choose to ignore them.

I think this rule change is the right thing to do, so we are the same as practically everywhere else in the world, AND peole mostly tried to ignore the outgoing rule - they'd shoot around the corner before you had a chance to get over the intersection.

Of course, with the Whanagrei City Council roading detartment being a bunch of useless loonies who live in their own little world, the intesections up here will be cocked up for YEARS.

this is just a correction of a bad rule IMO.

If you have spent any time driving in Australia you will know this is the way it should be done.

I'll be staying off the road on the 25th however.

Yeah the Aussie (and rest of the civilized world) system is much better. I drive regularly in both here and in Oz and found it didn't take me too long to adapt. Though I do occasionally roll up to an intersection and have to actively think of which country I am in.

The rules over here are a bit of an anachronism, we changed and the rest of the world was meant to follow onto our system but never did. I think the state of Victoria did but gave it up in 1987 or thereabouts. Most tourists have absolutely no idea that our give way rules were different, most hire car firms never said anything when they picked up a car.

I have had to run a bit of a NZ road rule seminar for my Aussie colleagues that have worked over here as they had no idea why they were getting flipped the bird when they drove around.

The 25th will be chaos, no doubt, but hopefully we will pick up the new system with relative ease, especially as it seems to me to be the more intuitive way of doing things.

Got them all right except one, I refuse to give way to cyclists regardless of the give way rules. Maybe when they pay registration and don't ride so slow

Got them all right except one, I refuse to give way to cyclists regardless of the give way rules. Maybe when they pay registration and don't ride so slow

lol....

which is why I don't like riding on the road.

:)

:)

Doesn't mean you have to throw bottles at them and shout abuse at them when they're riding 500 abreast on a narrow road way does it?

All common sense really. Just going back to what it was, so will be a piece of ease........

For you guys praising the Aussies on this one, recall..... Victoria tried the system we have currently, with the view that the rest of Aust would change over. It was a shambles, which Victoria quietly reversed their decision a year or so later. Of course, once Victoria reverted back - and the rest of Aust states took note of the mess, none of the other states took up the "new" road rule. Good ol' NZ, followed Victoria so that Aust & NZ would all be the same, BUT.. when Victoria changed back, did NZ?? No!! Had to be the ONLY place in the world with the current stupidity.....

Can't wait, will really aid traffic flow - especially in Christchurch - where urban roads have a straight ahead / left turn lane at intersections and the WHOLE line has to stop to give way to some d*ck turning right!! <_<

I'm a cyclist, I pay road user charges and levies for multiple cars, so it is stupid ignorant thinking like yours RJS that tarnishes car enthusiasts and it f**ks me off to no end when stupid drivers make mistakes and take lives of cyclists/pedestrians/innocents yet only have to do 200 hours community service.

Edited by pando

I'm a cyclist, I pay road user charges and levies for multiple cars, so it is stupid ignorant thinking like yours RJS that tarnishes car enthusiasts and it f**ks me off to no end when stupid drivers make mistakes and take lives of cyclists/pedestrians/innocents yet only have to do 200 hours community service.

To be honest. I think the cyclists are the stupid ignorant ones. You said it yourself. Stupid drivers making mistakes that take lives. So why the hell would you put your lives in their hands and take the risk? Would have to be the most dangerous way to get fit or save money. Just not worth it, especially in Auckland.

Both my girlfriend and flatmate failed the cyclist question.

Since everyone is talking up the Aussie system how about we introduce the Victorian hook turn rule - can't get my head around that one

To be honest. I think the cyclists are the stupid ignorant ones. You said it yourself. Stupid drivers making mistakes that take lives. So why the hell would you put your lives in their hands and take the risk? Would have to be the most dangerous way to get fit or save money. Just not worth it, especially in Auckland.

Both my girlfriend and flatmate failed the cyclist question.

You take a risk when you're on the road regardless of what vehicle you're in or on and not everyone lives in Auckland where cycling isn't a great option. Seems the mentality of some people will tarnish the good car enthusiasts.